• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep or return - Woolrich parka

noobanker

Reaction score
I just bought a Woolrich Arctic parka for $500 new.
It has a 750 fill power, 90/10 down fill, Loro Piana wool/cashmere storm system fabric outer, and a coyote fur lining on the hat.
It's the Woolrich John rich and bros edition, which is apparently their highest line.
These are all good but the cons

-Too fitted: I wanted an overfitted silhouette so that I can layer inside as needed but it has a sort of a classic fit on me. I'd like a size larger, but unfortunately this was a one-off deal so I can't exchange
-Shorter than ideal: It doesn't go to my knee
-Medium weight: I have a lot of overcoats including a lightweight Moncler parka, so I wanted a heavy weight that wasn't a Canada goose. Unfortunately this is a "medium" weight according to the website, although it certainly feels heavier than anything I currently own.

Is Woolrich arctic parka a good product?
Any recs on keeping or returning? I have the option to return as long as I don't wear it and don't take off the tag.

St1X

Reaction score
My motto is if something makes me unsatisfied, than I wouldn't be happy with a purchase and it will be a waste of money. Sometimes it's better to let a great deal pass by than throw away money at it and never use it.
It's your call, though

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what materials. If you’re not happy with it and it fails to function to suit your needs, then return it.

For me, outerwear need to first and foremost serve a function.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post pics of the coat

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how the Woolrich Arctic Parka compares to Canada Goose?

Equal or better (better fill power by a hundred) quality, and nobody is going to stick a gun in your face to take it from you.

As for the OP's questions, my understanding of these jackets is that unless you live in an extremely cold region (I'm talking Murmansk not Toronto) you won't need to do much layering underneath. But if it just doesn't work for you then absolutely return it.

noobanker

Reaction score
Equal or better (better fill power by a hundred) quality, and nobody is going to stick a gun in your face to take it from you.

As for the OP's questions, my understanding of these jackets is that unless you live in an extremely cold region (I'm talking Murmansk not Toronto) you won't need to do much layering underneath. But if it just doesn't work for you then absolutely return it.

Yeah, probably you're right regarding Murmansk, not Toronto, although I would've preferred a little longer.
It seems that Mackage is one of the few brands that offers men's parkas that are knee length, and is also very warm (800 fill power). I might go for one at some point.

I didn't consider a Canada Goose because it's only around 700 fill power, its ubiquity, the mugging aspect as you mention, all the fakes, etc. My Woolrich also has an interesting Loro Piana wool/cashmere blend outer which should be easily repairable and pairs reasonably well with suits.

brobear123

Reaction score
-13 to 5 F for CG Parkas (Chateau), TEI4
-4 to 14 F for Woolrich Arctic Parka

Also the Woolrich was significantly lighter than any of the Canada Goose parkas I tried on.. can't imagine it being warmer. CG has 625 fill and Woolrich 700 (80% duck down 20% Feather ). With respect to the gun issue, they've got the black disc version :D

Price wise one is 825 the other is a little over a 1000... not a huge difference in price if I'm willing to pay something that high to begin with. And both also have nonfur trim versions, which I am not sure is worth it. But I also don't want to be harassed by a bunch of PETA supporters. I do currently have a Northface McMurdo parka which does the job fine but it's old. Don't know if the Woolrich would even be better than the Northface, which is pretty bulky (550 fill).

Last edited:

noobanker

Reaction score
-13 to 5 F for CG Parkas (Chateau), TEI4
-4 to 14 F for Woolrich Arctic Parka

Also the Woolrich was significantly lighter than any of the Canada Goose parkas I tried on.. can't imagine it being warmer. CG has 625 fill and Woolrich 700 (80% duck down 20% Feather ). With respect to the gun issue, they've got the black disc version :D

Price wise one is 825 the other is a little over a 1000... not a huge difference in price if I'm willing to pay something that high to begin with. And both also have nonfur trim versions, which I am not sure is worth it. But I also don't want to be harassed by a bunch of PETA supporters. I do currently have a Northface McMurdo parka which does the job fine but it's old. Don't know if the Woolrich would even be better than the Northface, which is pretty bulky (550 fill).

Wrong, that's for medium weight. heavyweight rating is lower temp.
fill power is 750 or 800, I forget which for heavy. it's 90% duck down, 10% feather and it's puffier.

As far as price is concerned, they're all overpriced. Canada goose and Moncler seem more egregiously overpriced because they have more brand power.

brobear123

Reaction score
Wrong, that's for medium weight. heavyweight rating is lower temp.
fill power is 750 or 800, I forget which for heavy. it's 90% duck down, 10% feather and it's puffier.

As far as price is concerned, they're all overpriced. Canada goose and Moncler seem more egregiously overpriced because they have more brand power.

Temperature:Heavy Weight 14 F°/ -4 F°

What's weird is the nonfur hood version of Arctic Parka states 90% duck down 10% Feathers - Fill Power 750, compared to 80/20 and 700 for fur hood version.

Fur:

No Fur:

noobanker

Reaction score
Sorry, misread ur original post. yes, the heavy has temp rating of -4F, but I don't know if these estimates mean anything.
Obviously the temp ratings would depend on other variables, such as inner layers, person's tolerance, whether or not the person's moving or standing still.

What we want to know is the weight of the down/feather, its composition/fill power, construction of the jacket, insulating properties of the outer garment, as well as fit/seal.

None of those things are really available about any of these parkas. So it's all a moot point. a heavy Woolrich is no lighter than Canada goose expedition parkas as far as I can tell, and it's no heavier than Mackage. Like someone above said, unless you're in Siberia, probably none of this matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics