• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Keep or Exchange Park Avenue with Welt Issue?

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Newb here and I wanted to see if I'm just being OCD. I just got a new pair of AE Park Avenues from Endless and can't decide if it's "normal" to have a nick in the welt. The nick extends across the stitching to where the upper is. I've attached photos of the nick in question. Part of me feels OCD just asking if you would exchange this for another pair. If it's normal, I'll just stop; I just ask as I normally wear cheaper Bostonian and J&M without having any previous issue like this. And >$200 is more than I have ever spent on a pair of shoes. Haha Thanks

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's normal. It's due to the way the shoe is constructed.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit, i see it, i'm retarded.
bad assumptions.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
its just from the machine's clamp when they sew the upper to the sole.
Nope. The welt is actually a single strip of leather that is attached to the upper. It would be similar to laying a piece of rope in the shape of a circle. If the rope is slightly too short, there will be a gap.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look fine to me. Wear 'em and enjoy.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Nope.

The welt is actually a single strip of leather that is attached to the upper. It would be similar to laying a piece of rope in the shape of a circle. If the rope is slightly too short, there will be a gap.

thanks, bad assumption, corrected.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.