• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep or alter my G&H navy blazer?

orangefender

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading the wealth of information on these boards for a couple of years or so now, and wanted some opinions on the Gieves & Hawkes navy blazer I picked up for a song a few years back (see pic - apologies for the apparent state of the room (in the process of moving house)). The jacket is a 38S and I usually wear a 38R,

What I want is a versatile jacket which looks as much at home on a night out on the town as it does in the office or at a christening. It's a tall order I know, but I've read that this is what you should be aiming for from right jacket. I am aware of the trend towards a shorter cut which I like. I am early 30s, 5' 9" with a 38" chest, and looking for something which is modern looking without being too fashion forward.

I've seen some nice examples online (one in particular from Rag & Bone), but before I part with a few hundred pounds on a new jacket I wonder whether I could make this blazer from my existing wardrobe work with a few changes. To date I have only worn it to family affairs such as graduations and christenings, as I would not be comfortable wearing it at the pub or popping into town. I wonder whether replacing the silver buttons with mother of pearl or perhaps blue would achieve the desired result.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looks like a seagull crapped all over it, clean your mirror. Can't tell much from that picture anyway.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need better pics. Also, you need to clean up your room.

benny

Reaction score
I'm tempted to say it looks nice but you could post a few clearer pics to be sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads