• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeeping whites white

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you keep your whites white -- especially things like undershirts and white shirts? Mine always seem to trend towards yellow/gray over time, even though I am washing in warm/hot water with reasonable amounts of detergent, and of course keeping the whites separate from everything else.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little bleach works wonders. Naturally, this is not for nice dress shirts; however, for undergarments that are easily replaced, there's nothing wrong with spiking the wash water with a bit of chlorine. (I've never noticed any deterioration anyway.) However, some people add as much as a full cup to a load, which actually turns whites yellow. A few tablespoons will do the trick very nicely.

A non-chlorine bleach works well for white shirts, at least for me. Perhaps some of the shirt makers could chime in and give us alternate information.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a combination of Kabbaz and VersaceMan's processes for white dress shirts. I always soak them in hot water and oxyclean for at least a couple hours before I throw them in the washer. I also take a brush to the collars and cuffs if either are visibly soiled. As for white undershirts, I don't bother with any special treatment as they're inexpensive enough to replace (no Zimmerli for me) when past their prime.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Oxi-Clean tends to work wonders for both my dress and casual shirts. Every once in a while with my casuals I'll use bleach.

stach

Reaction score
Oddly enough I've never had this problem. They put quite a bit of chlorine in the tap water here in NYC.
frown.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To keep white white, you have to put some blue in
smile.gif

!luc

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had this problem... but I suspect the washing powder I use has some optical whiteners in it.

trogdor

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads