• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Good lord, your takes somehow get worse and worse. It's like next level.

Japanese and Chinese people are not the same race. There is an "ethnicity" behind the Chinese national identity, which is called Han.

Anyway, for all the weird contorting and spinning, none of this has to do directly with the claims that the lookbook and IG video can be interpreted as having racist undertones, and probably weren't the best thing to put out there. If you don't find them to be racist, maybe take some time to see how others may see them otherwise? It's possible that people who actually grew up Asian have a different experience than you.

You know what I meant. I am well aware of the differences. In very general terms of whites, asians, etc they are the same in the case most of you are trying to present. Right if white people did this it would be termed racist, and that would be correct. I don't know what to call it.. I am just hesitant to use racist in this instance.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mfw DWW calls me out for buying a Chinese knot button jacket

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a big assumption. 1. You are assuming you can make money by putting stupid videos on IG of items that won't be released for a few months. 2. You are assuming the people are marginalized.
Stupid videos off IG help them make money do they not? Those stupid videos help build their brand, draw eyeballs, and help them sell. They aren't doing this stuff for charity. Come on man, get real.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll change the subject a bit, but I'm taking a short trip over to Osaka, is it worth taking a small detour to go check out Kojima and the Soho store? I haven't been in Japan for long, but I've been busy since I got here. It's kinda obnoxious to get all the way out there if the store doesn't have anything more special than then Osaka store or Kyoto store, I might just go another time when I have more time.

norigim

Reaction score
I'll change the subject a bit, but I'm taking a short trip over to Osaka, is it worth taking a small detour to go check out Kojima and the Soho store? I haven't been in Japan for long, but I've been busy since I got here. It's kinda obnoxious to get all the way out there if the store doesn't have anything more special than then Osaka store or Kyoto store, I might just go another time when I have more time.

I didn't feel like the detour to Kojima was worth it. I went to check out Jeans street and stuff, and it's all pretty disappointing. The Kapital store is neat but probably not worth it either unless you're a die hard fan.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't feel like the detour to Kojima was worth it. I went to check out Jeans street and stuff, and it's all pretty disappointing. The Kapital store is neat but probably not worth it either unless you're a die hard fan.

Alright noted, I was hoping for it to have some sort of wild deals on b stock but if you didn't mention it, it probably is not a thing.

I will probably skip it thanks!

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score

If you want to check out the bandanna museum yes. If you're not interested, Kojima is a waste of time.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to check out the bandanna museum yes. If you're not interested, Kojima is a waste of time.

Haha double noted, I do love collecting elephant bandana's but maybe I will go once I've done all the usual day trips from Hiroshima.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Stupid videos off IG help them make money do they not? Those stupid videos help build their brand, draw eyeballs, and help them sell. They aren't doing this stuff for charity. Come on man, get real.

Have you ever run a brand and done marketing? IG has a ****** sales return unless you have a direct link to selling the actual product. Kapital doesn't even ship or sell overseas. So no it won't benefit them. They don't even have a marketing department. The designer makes those videos cause he enjoys exploring ideas. He has a weird often insensitive moral compass when it comes to content.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has a weird often insensitive moral compass when it comes to content.

Well, yes. Which is pretty much where I started this discussion. The rest is just a 'tomayto / tomahto' debate: you say 'insensitive moral compass', I say 'racist'... but at least we're all talking about the same fruit now.

maregmareg

Reaction score
Hmm, ****, I wanted to take a daytrip from Osaka in March mainly to see Kurashiki, ride around on a bike and also visit Kapital store, jeans street etc. From strictly tourist perspective is it still a waste of time?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, ****, I wanted to take a daytrip from Osaka in March mainly to see Kurashiki, ride around on a bike and also visit Kapital store, jeans street etc. From strictly tourist perspective is it still a waste of time?

Being here, I have learned, when someone says something is a waste of time, it generally is. Like many small towns will have a couple things, but often they are completely indistinguishable since most of the architecture/ city layouts are so similar. I will say if you go to the Kurashiki Bikan historical area, you will enjoy it and the added benefit that it has a lot of denim stores too. No Kapital though, but I guess you could go from there in like 30 minutes on train I think.

Last edited:

maregmareg

Reaction score
Being here, I have learned, when someone says something is a waste of time, it generally is. Like many small towns will have a couple things, but often they are completely indistinguishable since most of the architecture/ city layouts are so similar. I will say if you go to the Kurashiki Bikan historical area, you will enjoy it and the added benefit that it has a lot of denim stores too. No Kapital though, but I guess you could go from there in like 30 minutes on train I think.
I was mainly thinking about Kurashiki Bikan historical area, but is it worth a day trip? Any other better day trip ideas maybe? Denim stores and Kapital flagship store not so far away are a bit tempting as well but not on my top priority list, I tend to "think" about Japanese fashion much less when I'm in Japan somehow, mainly want to see some interesting places that my wife would also enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics