• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

maregmareg

Reaction score
What’s up with this „culture appropriation” bullshit recently? Like seriously, I don’t get what’s wrong in getting inspired by other cultures, doing some styling or garments that might borrow from some particular culture? I see this as some kind of homage, and believe that designer finds something as cool and inspiring so he then decides to use this in his work. Did anyone thought that Japanese appropriated American culture when they started wearing and then producing denim? It’s just sign of modern times where people feel offended by literally everthing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What’s up with this „culture appropriation” bullshit recently? Like seriously, I don’t get what’s wrong in getting inspired by other cultures, doing some styling or garments that might borrow from some particular culture? I see this as some kind of homage, and believe that designer finds something as cool and inspiring so he then decides to use this in his work. Did anyone thought that Japanese appropriated American culture when they started wearing and then producing denim? It’s just sign of modern times where people feel offended by literally everthing.

don't think anyone has brought up cultural appropriation in this thread. it's about the coolie representation of chinese people and the kind of cartoonish kung-fun thing they did on ig.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread:

A big part of what cultural appropriation is is the the dominant culture ( here in the west usually being white) takes something from a minority and uses it when it was verboten when used/practiced by the minority. Cornrows on white girls who just got back from vacation in the Caribbean being ok, but when worn by blacks it’s considered unprofessional is an example. Or the renaming of Bantu-knots as “baby buns” when worn by white ladies. It’s the making of a taboo socially acceptable by its adoption by the mainstream often when stripped of its original meaning.

So the transition has to be from the downpressed to the downpresser in a way that strips it of its roots and meaning. If two equals meet, it’s a cultural exchange. If it is used as a sign of solidarity, such as The Clash using reggae it’s not cultural appropriation. If it’s the downpressd taking culture it’s cultural adoption.

It seems that MSM and cultural pundits often mis most of the above.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like I see more people get offended by the idea people may be offended then people being offended. I mean, most people here don't seem offended, just they know that the "rururururu" and pathetic fake kung fu moves are pretty weak.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With all respect, that's not the point at all. This has nothing to do with cultural appropriation. You're entirely right that there's nothing wrong in getting inspired by other cultures, etc. I think we would all agree that one of Kapital's greatest strengths has been the way they've been able to mix east/west style, and many of the best Japanese brands do the same. This is literally a thread where we come because we really like that sort of thing.

The problem is the videos and representation are not that far off from going "*********** flied lice!" and pulling their eyes back to make them more slanty. That's not an homage, and neither is the nonsense below. Again, I agree with you when you say that some people seem to get offended by literally everything, but it's hard for me to believe that you can't see the other side as well.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 10.43.58 AM.png

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread:

A big part of what cultural appropriation is is the the dominant culture ( here in the west usually being white) takes something from a minority and uses it when it was verboten when used/practiced by the minority. Cornrows on white girls who just got back from vacation in the Caribbean being ok, but when worn by blacks it’s considered unprofessional is an example. Or the renaming of Bantu-knots as “baby buns” when worn by white ladies. It’s the making of a taboo socially acceptable by its adoption by the mainstream often when stripped of its original meaning.

So the transition has to be from the downpressed to the downpresser in a way that strips it of its roots and meaning. If two equals meet, it’s a cultural exchange. If it is used as a sign of solidarity, such as The Clash using reggae it’s not cultural appropriation. If it’s the downpressd taking culture it’s cultural adoption.

It seems that MSM and cultural pundits often mis most of the above.
Cultural appropriation is based in power dynamics and profit, which are the same factors that underscore racism.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Cultural appropriation is based in power dynamics and profit, which are the same factors that underscore racism.
I don’t think it has to include profit. See the issues around black hair or the issues surrounding native headdresses. But what I was getting at can be boiled down to power dynamics.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
With all respect, that's not the point at all. This has nothing to do with cultural appropriation. You're entirely right that there's nothing wrong in getting inspired by other cultures, etc. I think we would all agree that one of Kapital's greatest strengths has been the way they've been able to mix east/west style, and many of the best Japanese brands do the same. This is literally a thread where we come because we really like that sort of thing.

The problem is the videos and representation are not that far off from going "*********** flied lice!" and pulling their eyes back to make them more slanty. That's not an homage, and neither is the nonsense below. Again, I agree with you when you say that some people seem to get offended by literally everything, but it's hard for me to believe that you can't see the other side as well.

View attachment 1290888

I think I understand it finally... Basically the videos are copies of homage-to-kung fu (Kill Bill etc) movies or kung fu movies. They aren't imitating what they see as "Chinese" they are merely paying homage (albeit a cheap knock-off) to Chinese Kung-fu movies. Also you can't apply western or American standards or stereotypes to Japan. Most of the issues you have are American constructs and irrelevant in Japan.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it has to include profit. See the issues around black hair or the issues surrounding native headdresses. But what I was getting at can be boiled down to power dynamics.
It does include profit, because the dominant group makes money off the backs of the marginalized, while stigmatizing them at the same time for their “ethnic” cultural practices and customs. This is exactly what Kapital is doing.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re not doing it just because they’re so called inspired. They’re doing it to make money.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the past few posts: "Japanese Clothing Company Mocks Chinese People; Americans Offended"

Who offended? I just see people calling out a weak ass video. It's not like Kung Fu hustle where its mocking and paying homage to Kung Fu movies ported to the US. This is more like Carlos Mencia tier.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
It does include profit, because the dominant group makes money off the backs of the marginalized, while stigmatizing them at the same time for their “ethnic” cultural practices and customs. This is exactly what Kapital is doing.

Thats a big assumption. 1. You are assuming you can make money by putting stupid videos on IG of items that won't be released for a few months. 2. You are assuming the people are marginalized.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads