• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had a store there and closed it. The only runway show they have ever done was at the Hiroshima store after they shut it down.

I didn't know that, I saw the video of the runway show but thought it was a rented space. That makes more sense now, it sucks they closed it but I get it, Hiroshima is cool as heck but definitely not some sort of retail hub like Osaka or Tokyo.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I've been eyeing a Kamakura lately but I have no idea how to wear or use it. I found a YouTube video and it made it quite cumbersome. Is it crazy to buy one of these haha

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Gents,

I've been eyeing a Kamakura lately but I have no idea how to wear or use it. I found a YouTube video and it made it quite cumbersome. Is it crazy to buy one of these haha

Lol That is why I made that video... there are a few ways to wear it, but I wouldn't call it cumbersome its just well... complicated.

maregmareg

Reaction score
It takes a while to get the collar rolled and "get the jacket ready" but it's really great piece, has a really substantial feel to it and the amount of details is nice. Too bad the one I had was in this light blue color, and I ended returning it.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol That is why I made that video... there are a few ways to wear it, but I wouldn't call it cumbersome its just well... complicated.

Haha! Maybe 'cumbersome' was the improper word. Your video definitely helped and scared me at the same time XD

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Haha! Maybe 'cumbersome' was the improper word. Your video definitely helped and scared me at the same time XD

Yeah it definitely isn't the easiest garment to arrange. But that is what is fun about Kapital stuff in reality, the quirks and un flattering fits. What drew me to Kapital many years ago was the quirkinesses that other brands try to avoid.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
I didn't know that, I saw the video of the runway show but thought it was a rented space. That makes more sense now, it sucks they closed it but I get it, Hiroshima is cool as heck but definitely not some sort of retail hub like Osaka or Tokyo.

I was at that event I think I may even be in the video somewhere... Everywhere in Japan is a tough retail environment TBH. I don't believe for a second that any brand has an easy time in retail. That said, compared to Osaka, Nagoya, or Tokyo; Hiroshima is definitely not an easy place to run a store.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it definitely isn't the easiest garment to arrange. But that is what is fun about Kapital stuff in reality, the quirks and un flattering fits. What drew me to Kapital many years ago was the quirkinesses that other brands try to avoid.

True that! It’s why I love Kapital. K guess I’ll keep saving for one and will need help from people like yourself on how to style it.

Is it super warm or windbreaker style?

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
True that! It’s why I love Kapital. K guess I’ll keep saving for one and will need help from people like yourself on how to style it.

Is it super warm or windbreaker style?

You will definitely need to layer with it with temperatures below 16 Celsius

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at that event I think I may even be in the video somewhere... Everywhere in Japan is a tough retail environment TBH. I don't believe for a second that any brand has an easy time in retail. That said, compared to Osaka, Nagoya, or Tokyo; Hiroshima is definitely not an easy place to run a store.

Its interesting you say that because everything bout the economic environment here would point to some great difficulty for retail yet I see so many shops stacked on top of each other with ton of brands I cant even keep up with not to mention the sheer amount of vintage or 2nd hand shops everywhere. I also know very little bout retail and a lot of the economy here is still a mystery to me though so maybe they can make it with smaller profit margins?

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Its interesting you say that because everything bout the economic environment here would point to some great difficulty for retail yet I see so many shops stacked on top of each other with ton of brands I cant even keep up with not to mention the sheer amount of vintage or 2nd hand shops everywhere. I also know very little bout retail and a lot of the economy here is still a mystery to me though so maybe they can make it with smaller profit margins?

Well certainly there are a lot of factors that go into the economy of retail. I have worked in retail in Japan for 5 years as store manager, as staff, in pop-ups, at events, as a maker and marketer. It is an amusing business world in Japan, TBH ignorance is bliss.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys wear for athleticwear? I feel like nothing really vibes with Kapital's look other than maybe a loose white tee and some above the knee shorts. Or does it not really matter?

On a road trip I wore some Gyakusou (that I bought years ago) out to run to the store and some friends were like WTF. I liked the Geller x Lululemon collab but never bought anything because it kinda has a different vibe.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys wear for athleticwear? I feel like nothing really vibes with Kapital's look other than maybe a loose white tee and some above the knee shorts. Or does it not really matter?

On a road trip I wore some Gyakusou (that I bought years ago) out to run to the store and some friends were like WTF. I liked the Geller x Lululemon collab but never bought anything because it kinda has a different vibe.

Depends what you mean by athleticwear... For example I often wear my kakashi / noragi type tops over sweats. The recent damask one goes really well with my FDMTL indigo hooded sweatshirt and pants. That kind of looser, old-fashioned sportswear in non-technical fabrics does fine with the Kapital's loose and slightly oversized vibe. I guess even the classic (and much cheaper) Champion sweats would work just as well depending on the colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads