• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

maregmareg

Reaction score
LMAO are you me? I have the same three ring coats and the kakishibu jeans. Keep the green cotton ring coat though, it looks like it fits nearly the same. Is it possible it just shrunk a little in the wash?
holy ****, like a brother from another mother haha
As for the ring coat, I didn't even wash it yet, maybe due to different fabric it "feels" a bit smaller but I checked the measurements and they are literally the same (denim one is slightly longer though but other measurements are the same).
Somehow the green cotton one feels slightly smaller when I put it on, no idea why, I like it though.

pgrim91

Reaction score
holy ****, like a brother from another mother haha
As for the ring coat, I didn't even wash it yet, maybe due to different fabric it "feels" a bit smaller but I checked the measurements and they are literally the same (denim one is slightly longer though but other measurements are the same).
Somehow the green cotton one feels slightly smaller when I put it on, no idea why, I like it though.
Different fabric will drape differently - I swim in my denim coat but really like the way the green cotton holds its ambiguous shape. I've gotten mine used and the small variations in color that the green cotton picks up after a few washes are nice - just something to look forward to.

maregmareg

Reaction score
Different fabric will drape differently - I swim in my denim coat but really like the way the green cotton holds its ambiguous shape. I've gotten mine used and the small variations in color that the green cotton picks up after a few washes are nice - just something to look forward to.
Yeah the denim one definetely feels very roomy, still my favourite one though, maybe partially because I bought it Kyoto rather than paying ridiculous markup.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@maregmareg There was a pic in the RRL thread where that shirt looked great. All the pics on webstores I've seen don't do it justice and I don't really recall seeing many pics of it on the #kapital on IG.

It looked good in uptherestore's photos:

kapital_fw18_blog-12.jpg

maregmareg

Reaction score
wow it looks so good in RRL thread, really hoping for similar relaxed fit on me

Uptherestore’s photo also does the justice, very cool styling

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of those pieces too; I really love it... I'm small (5'5" / 165cm and 36-37" chest) and mine is a Size 3 and fits like an overshirt. I'm generally a Size 2 (or M) in Japan (or S in western sizing).

maregmareg

Reaction score
I'm just curious to you all - what brands are you wearing along with Kapital?
Do you lean towards strictly Kapital style or is it just an addition to your wardrobe?

I'm generally in between Kapital and EG (or more like Nepenthes, because I own quite a lot of Needles and S2W8). I find it quite easy to mix both styles except some more quirky Kapital pieces which I always wanted to buy but ended up thinking I'll never wear them.

One of those is the sloppy shirt, I seriously love how they look on pics but I think it might be too much and I'll look like I try way too hard - any personal opinions?

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
The Nepenthes family of brands is a great place to start. Check out AiE which was started by a former EG designer: Kenta Miyamoto. His references are punk and skate culture but the vibe of the pieces are very youthful and workweary. I own about 4 pieces from them and they can definitely be mistaken for something that Kapital made (pants shown with fleece rider below)

Another brand I'd recommend that works well with Kapital is STORY Mfg. Lovely and playful workwear pieces and their Short on Time jackets are accessible and easy to wear.

I can go into further detail but if you want to look into remade stuff, check out sine Japanese designers like Old Park, Miyagi Hidetaka, Funset of Art, Soloist, and Children of the Discordance. They are like Rebuild by Needles with a more Cowboy/Western feel.

My recommendation for Kapital sloppy shirt styling is to mix a similar toned pair of pants with it. I have a washed denim one that pairs well with navy or black pants.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to wear kapital with vintage Western, military, and workwear. Add in a lot of artisan good made in Jalisco/Guanajuato (mostly belt piteados, cowboy boots). I also add old native American jewelry to it too. I also add random thrifted goods to supplement. I'm still too awkward in pictures to share stuff though haha.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, there's so much variety in what Kapital does, you'll find pieces that fit with almost anything. At one end, there's the very 'Japanese' stuff, with samue jackets, hakama pants etc. which I tend to mix up with more Kyoto-style modern-traditional Japanese brands like Sou-Sou and Koromo. On the other hand, there's the America workwear stuff, which fits very nicely with any other more conventional workwear revival brands, as well the Nepenthes family (including EG). And finally there's the extreme hippy stuff, which I don't know... some of it is basically destroyed workwear and fits in the same category as above, but some would really only work with other 'boro' type clothes. Many Japanese manufacturers make these but rarely as their main thing and they tend to be very expensive. Of course the nearest stylistic relative to Kapital is probably Visvim, but their prices aren't even funny, even compared to Kapital.

By the way, I just bought one of these - an indigo-dyed damask Kakashi shirt-jacket. Last night I wore it over my FDMTL indigo track pants and hoodie, and it was great.

K1909LS024_IDG.jpg

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kakashi is def the next item on my list just going to wait until I get to japan to buy it, i want to get the sizing right.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's nuts. I'm the same and a few years ago I had to take a size 4 in the denim peacoat I think.

Quite likely. Their sizing is all over the place. My ring coat is size 1, and some stuff just about works for me at size 4.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads