• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, my mistake. Just checked my jacket it's actually a size 2 Medium.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I’m 6’2 and have a 3. 100% local with option to return, or keep an eye out for sale fares to Tokyo, shopping instore at Kapital is a blast

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, guys, looking into getting a ring coat and had some questions:

- at 5'8, ~130, i'm assuming i'm a size 0? or would i maybe be a 1 (since japanese brands sometimes run small)?

- is buying from kapital's web shop directly (through something like zenmarket) the cheapest way to go about getting one?

- i can't decide between either ripstop or katsuragi cotton (both in khaki) - do you guys have any suggestions?

leaning towards the katsuragi, but am i missing something with the ripstop? or is it just complete personal preference?

- so these are both listed as "khaki" (top ripstop, bottom katsuragi), but the colors are completely different:

K1809LJ030_1.jpg

EK446_KHA.jpg

is this just due to lighting, or is that how they really look in person (will probably go with the katsuragi if the latter)?

I'm about Derek's height/weight 5'10" and 145 lbs, 37" chest and I have a denim in size 2 and a katsuragi cotton one in size 1 I proxied from Japan. The size 1 borders on being on the shorter sleeve length of what I would want. The chest is perhaps a touch smaller (in such a trivial way for me that I couldn't even say for sure based on how it feels), but If I could do it again I'd get a size 2. I just can't find one in that size in the same color, and the 1 still works overall. It's not a precise science by any means.

At 5'8" 130 lbs I would go with a 1, though, and certainly not a size 0. A 2 might work also, but at least in my size 2 denim ring coat the sleeve cuffs already have an abundance of length on my longer arms.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5"4-5"5, with a 37 inch chest. I have a Melton wool Ring Coat and took it in size 1.

Unless you find a second hand one, buying direct from Japan is the cheapest way to get one. I got mine at a small discount by buying gift certificates at Unionmade during Christmas, where you save 20% off on the certificate but can use it on any full priced item. (Or do they give you 20% extra on what you paid? It's either or.)

I'd take @dieworkwear's suggestion and buy one from a place that accepts returns, though. I took a chance on sizing down from my usual Kapital size and it was fine because of the Fiat's bagginess.

maregmareg

Reaction score
katsuragi cotton is rather heavy, mid or lightweight fabric? good for what kind of weather?

conqueror

Reaction score
6'1/175lb with a sz 3 ring coat. i could very easily wear a 2, though. if you are 5'8 and 130lb a sz 2 will be ridiculously huge (even by 'oversized' standards). i personally think even a 1 would be a stretch considering how generously cut it is.

edit: since jonathan stopped proxying i have bought all of my kapital through zenmarket with zero issues whatsoever. in fact, they actually emailed kapital to get me something that was listed as out of stock on the website.

still need to frame this:

JExjrgd.jpg

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6'1/175lb with a sz 3 ring coat. i could very easily wear a 2, though. if you are 5'8 and 130lb a sz 2 will be ridiculously huge (even by 'oversized' standards). i personally think even a 1 would be a stretch considering how generously cut it is.

edit: since jonathan stopped proxying i have bought all of my kapital through zenmarket with zero issues whatsoever. in fact, they actually emailed kapital to get me something that was listed as out of stock on the website.

still need to frame this:

JExjrgd.jpg

Yo, share a pic when you do. That's cool.

maregmareg

Reaction score
Any owners of Kamakura Parka here? It's my top 1 spot on my wishlist sinbe quite a long time, but I always find the price really steep.
I think I'll finally proxy one for myself.
Any advices on sizing? I'd also appreciate any opinions about the piece, fabric used, construction, versatility etc.

Arabit

Reaction score
Hello owner of the Kamakura Parka. Got the Wool sleeves version.
For sizing, I went Size 3 and I usually get a size 4 for shirts.
I think the Kamakura is fun and if you like it buy it.
Pro:
Many ways to wear it, it took me awhile to figure out the jacket and how to use the toggles.
Many Pockets
Easy to wear IMO, nice and easy oversized fit. you can wear it with tapered, straight or wide pants.
With a lot of Kapital, Large hood
Easy to store with pouch
Nylon not bad against the rain

Cons
Sleeves can be short on you YMMV. Similar to the Ring Coat you have storm cuffs but its made of nylon and it is short on me so it scrunches up on my forearm and I need to readjust often. Probably can be fixed if you remove the cuffs?
Takes quite a long time to wear if you're gonna button it up all the way.
Warmer than I expected.
Hood toggle needs to be connected or else it will block your vision when in use.
Pouch on the back scratches easily.
IMO looks horrible when you do this when the lining has no graphics
Wearing the pouch on the back as antlers/horns doesn't feel natural. Everytime I do it I feel like I'm pulling away from the side stitches of the pouch and stressing the holes that the pouch goes through on the hood.

I may have a lot of cons about it but I still love it. Very unique and fun to wear. I suggest you purchase the nylon version with the nice looking linings.

Let me know if you have any questions

maregmareg

Reaction score
Hello owner of the Kamakura Parka. Got the Wool sleeves version.
For sizing, I went Size 3 and I usually get a size 4 for shirts.
I think the Kamakura is fun and if you like it buy it.
Pro:
Many ways to wear it, it took me awhile to figure out the jacket and how to use the toggles.
Many Pockets
Easy to wear IMO, nice and easy oversized fit. you can wear it with tapered, straight or wide pants.
With a lot of Kapital, Large hood
Easy to store with pouch
Nylon not bad against the rain

Cons
Sleeves can be short on you YMMV. Similar to the Ring Coat you have storm cuffs but its made of nylon and it is short on me so it scrunches up on my forearm and I need to readjust often. Probably can be fixed if you remove the cuffs?
Takes quite a long time to wear if you're gonna button it up all the way.
Warmer than I expected.
Hood toggle needs to be connected or else it will block your vision when in use.
Pouch on the back scratches easily.
IMO looks horrible when you do this when the lining has no graphics
Wearing the pouch on the back as antlers/horns doesn't feel natural. Everytime I do it I feel like I'm pulling away from the side stitches of the pouch and stressing the holes that the pouch goes through on the hood.

I may have a lot of cons about it but I still love it. Very unique and fun to wear. I suggest you purchase the nylon version with the nice looking linings.

Let me know if you have any questions

This is super helpful, thanks! Really happy to hear that it's easy to wear, I plan to use it for travelling also so a bit of water resistance is also nice.

How tall are you? I'm 6'0, slim silhouette but a bit broad shoulders and long arms. I'm thinking about getting it in size 3, size 2 would probably fit as well but I don't want too short arms. Usually going with size 2 in ring coats and that's a perfect fit for me.
Do you have any fit pics?

Apart from the woolen sleeves - how thick is the 60/40 fabric and lining? Is it more like spring jacket or rather fall/early winter?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the ring coat size discussion is old at this point but I think at 5'8" you're looking at a 1 or 2. The key is sleeve size; if you have short arms, go w a 1, otherwise do a 2. As I've said before, the ring coat is not oversized in lengths, only widths.

maregmareg

Reaction score
desperately want to buy FW17 look book, shipped to Poland, EU. Anyone?

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 254

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I hope he doesn't mind me plugging his stuff here but for real love seeing this perspective and aesthetic from Kapital

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads