• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to the Kyoto Kapital store last week while on vacation. All the people who work there seem to be in head to toe Kapital, and the store has all sorts of jackets. My friends were like "what is this how do you wear this." Bought some socks (like $15 a pair if you're in Japan) and almost bought a banana bandana graphic tee. Also cool that the basic denim is like $120. the boro stuff is still $$$$ in Japan. Looks great though.

The socks are cotton (possibly a cotton blend? Packaging didn't say but Unionmade says their kapital socks are a "cotton blend".) thick and textural.

Any cool bandanas? :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got to the Kyoto Kapital store last week while on vacation. All the people who work there seem to be in head to toe Kapital, and the store has all sorts of jackets. My friends were like "what is this how do you wear this." Bought some socks (like $15 a pair if you're in Japan) and almost bought a banana bandana graphic tee. Also cool that the basic denim is like $120. the boro stuff is still $$$$ in Japan. Looks great though.

The socks are cotton (possibly a cotton blend? Packaging didn't say but Unionmade says their kapital socks are a "cotton blend".) thick and textural.

Can I ask what shoe size you wear and if the socks fit? I really like mine, but they're a bit small. And I want to get more, but every time I see a pair in a store, it also still looks small. Kind of wary of buying since socks are always final sale.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a narrow us 9. They do look small, plus they shrink in the dryer, but like a knit cotton sweater, they stretch out and mostly stay there if you pull on them. I've got some too-small wool socks from whatever brand and these are nothing like those.

Alexidb

Reaction score
So I really really really want a Ring Coat. Has Kapital ever made a waxed or waterproof version? If I’m primarily in New England/old England would the Melton version be 3 season appropriate? 5’11 190lbs 42inch chest. So a 3? I notice a lot of 2s being sold on that G site listed as larges...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I really really really want a Ring Coat. Has Kapital ever made a waxed or waterproof version? If I’m primarily in New England/old England would the Melton version be 3 season appropriate? 5’11 190lbs 42inch chest. So a 3? I notice a lot of 2s being sold on that G site listed as larges...

I'm a size 37 chest and take a 2 in Kapital tops and jackets, including the ring coat. It's an oversized garment, so theres a lot of wiggle room in terms of sizing. for a 42 chest, i would prob try a size 4

Alexidb

Reaction score
I'm a size 37 chest and take a 2 in Kapital tops and jackets, including the ring coat. It's an oversized garment, so theres a lot of wiggle room in terms of sizing. for a 42 chest, i would prob try a size 4
I think they only make the ring coats up to a size 3? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that the only real difference is the length.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys; I just got a pair of the indigo century denim and I am going to be hemming them, but wondering about shrinkage for these before I do? Do they tend to shrink after the first wash or two?

pgrim91

Reaction score
Question for you guys; I just got a pair of the indigo century denim and I am going to be hemming them, but wondering about shrinkage for these before I do? Do they tend to shrink after the first wash or two?
I have the #5 and the #7 century denim jeans and noticed that while the #7 shrank quite a bit, the #5 did not shrink as much. Based on this, I would recommend waiting to hem until at least one wash, if not longer.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the #5 and the #7 century denim jeans and noticed that while the #7 shrank quite a bit, the #5 did not shrink as much. Based on this, I would recommend waiting to hem until at least one wash, if not longer.
Interesting! Thank you so much for the info.
I have the #123, but I'm definitely going to take that advice and wait till I soak them. They're pretty much unwearable now anyway because the crocking is just insane.

pgrim91

Reaction score
Interesting! Thank you so much for the info.
I have the #123, but I'm definitely going to take that advice and wait till I soak them. They're pretty much unwearable now anyway because the crocking is just insane.
Eekie at independence recommended soaking with borax in hot water, assuming you sized up. That should reduce the crocking, and it's not like you'll get really contrasty fades with that material anyway, so no harm in soaking.

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
Kop'd this comfy boy for a song
KAPITAL_BONDING_JACKET_1600x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads