• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the black.

If you don’t typically wear black clothing, I could see how the black might be a bit overwhelming. In that case, get the olive. But the black is more of a statement.

I also have the EG Barbour Zip Parka in black that I might have to factor in with my decision 🤔

Engineered-Garments-x-Barbour-Zip-Parka---Black-20190122003426.jpg

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am sure you have olive outerwear as well. If you don’t or feel the overlap with the EG Barbour is too much, get the olive.

Is the EG Barbour lined or only a shell? Either way, the long Ring is very different.

The Barbour has more functionality as a proper piece of outerwear whereas the long Ring is a fun piece, but not very practical, if that is important to you. The cotton version of the long Ring offers little warmth in cold weather. You would need to layer a thick knit or a puffer underneath for the colder temperatures. Conversely, in warmer weather up to the 70s F, I have not been tempted to wear a long (non-rain) coat. So for me, the long Ring on its own is only relevant for a few months of the year.

Ymmv.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure you have olive outerwear as well. If you don’t or feel the overlap with the EG Barbour is too much, get the olive.

Is the EG Barbour lined or only a shell? Either way, the long Ring is very different.

The Barbour has more functionality as a proper piece of outerwear whereas the long Ring is a fun piece, but not very practical, if that is important to you. The cotton version of the long Ring offers little warmth in cold weather. You would need to layer a thick knit or a puffer underneath for the colder temperatures. Conversely, in warmer weather up to the 70s F, I have not been tempted to wear a long (non-rain) coat. So for me, the long Ring on its own is only relevant for a few months of the year.

Ymmv.

The EG is lined with cotton. So not very warm either.

I know all about the ring coat and warmth/isolation since I have the regular one in both cotton and wool. The wool version is actually less warm than the cotton one. But I also have the RC liner which I use during winter which makes the piece surprisingly warm. These past few years my cotton RC with liner has been my go to coat during winter.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The EG is lined with cotton. So not very warm either.

I know all about the ring coat and warmth/isolation since I have the regular one in both cotton and wool. The wool version is actually less warm than the cotton one. But I also have the RC liner which I use during winter which makes the piece surprisingly warm. These past few years my cotton RC with liner has been my go to coat during winter.

That's surprising about the cotton being warmer. Is the RC liner warm on it's own (I assumed it was less warm than the cotton RC) or is it that just put together it is warm? Can't tell if it's more like a shell that can be worn on warm days (~75F) or fairly substantial.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly once I grab my ring coat it's probably going to go on sale. I love the look but its just not very practical, too cold when it's cold, too warm when it's warm.

The black one is a statement, I think the olive is the only way to go. Long black coats are such a vibe that doesn't fit with most things for me.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's surprising about the cotton being warmer. Is the RC liner warm on it's own (I assumed it was less warm than the cotton RC) or is it that just put together it is warm? Can't tell if it's more like a shell that can be worn on warm days (~75F) or fairly substantial.

Well the wool version (the "vintage melton wool") has a pretty open weave which does a bad job at stopping the wind. It just blows right through. I live in a fairly windy place, so its not a very good combo for me. The cotton weave is much denser and so it at least keeps the wind out. So for my conditions, the cotton RC offers better isolation/warmth.

The RC liner is warm on its own. I would never wear it at temps higher than say 10°C. However, I find the liner pretty hard to wear on its own, because of its fit and how it closes/buttons. So I usually just wear it as a liner inside the RC.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with the navy melton wool rings true (har har) to what @d4nimal and @hoodog have written. If you layer appropriately - and you'll have the room to do that - then it'll usually be fine. But if you go out with it in cold, windy weather with only a thin shirt and aren't just going from the car to the house door...

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I bought both the black and the olive. Just couldn't make the choice. I'll flip the one I like the least when I have them in hand. 💪

Last edited:

shishy

Reaction score
I have the wool ring coat in navy blue (pendleton one). It's true that the weave is loose and not so good in wind but if you put one of those ultralight down jackets from uniqlo or something similar under it's pretty much perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads