• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Symphony

Reaction score
I'd rather have brands keep quiet than pander for popular causes. Not everyone is into politics and it's not a pre-requisite to contribute to the arts.

But also real if you don’t have anything good to say tbh

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I'd rather have brands keep quiet than pander for popular causes. Not everyone is into politics and it's not a pre-requisite to contribute to the arts.

Sure, I agree with you there. Simply putting "FREE TIBET" on clothes is very on the nose, no debate in that. However I do think politics can make your art stronger and more interesting.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone just assuming that this whole Free Tibet thing is insincere and just some kind of marketing move? Maybe we should give the guys at Kap the benefit of the doubt?

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear any insight @BandannAlmanac has on the Kapital creative process. How do they come up with things like "No Nukes", Beethoven, or Virgin Mary (or Free Tibet)? It seems random and for the sake of aesthetics, but curious what goes into the designs.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear any insight @BandannAlmanac has on the Kapital creative process. How do they come up with things like "No Nukes", Beethoven, or Virgin Mary (or Free Tibet)? It seems random and for the sake of aesthetics, but curious what goes into the designs.

I'd be very surprised indeed if @BandannAlmanac were to shed any positive light on this. :hide:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is everyone just assuming that this whole Free Tibet thing is insincere and just some kind of marketing move? Maybe we should give the guys at Kap the benefit of the doubt?

I assume it's insincere because of how the message is presented. The woman wearing Free Tibet socks while bending over. Or the guy in a robe skateboarding. I assume it's just for aesthetics. The skater could be a Buddhist, of course. I'm admittedly making a lot of assumptions.

I worked on Tibetan rights issues when I was younger and it's a very religious community. The campaign just seems disrespectful to me. Much of the Free Tibet issue is about the right to practice religion and respect for Tibetan cultural institutions. A guy skating in a Buddhist robe and a woman bending over in Free Tibet socks doesn't seem to accord with that.

P0.jpeg

Last edited:

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score

No Nukes was something I came up with many years back, as it was part of a slogan I saw in Osaka for anti-nuclear energy after 3-11. I liked the message (the ring of No Nukes sounds nice) without thinking about it too much and made some appliqué and put it on a green jacket. I wore it once to a Kapital exhibition, photos were taken and end of story...

The Beethoven and Virgin Mary has been trendy as hell in Japan the last year or so... Kapital certainly didn't come up with it on their own... the only thing they did was put the Beethoven and Native American stuff together.

Like almost every brand everywhere they make an inspiration wall and fill it with pictures, photos, and swatches and basically imitate or make slight changes to whatever they gather from it. It is a lot of work but the majority of the creativity is coming from the pattern makers and artists who are interpreting these ideas. People you will never see posted on Kapital instagram...

Free Tibet was probably a swipe directly aimed at the people making fakes of their stuff... I don't really think they give a **** about Tibet or its people...

You can find positivity wherever you want... I for one support the hard working people of Kapital's sewing factories and the designers that support and (basically do all the grunt work for Kiro) run the company behind the brand.

Last edited:

illiterate

Reaction score
No Nukes was something I came up with many years back, as it was part of a slogan I saw in Osaka for anti-nuclear energy after 3-11. I liked the message (the ring of No Nukes sounds nice) without thinking about it too much and made some appliqué and put it on a green jacket. I wore it once to a Kapital exhibition, photos were taken and end of story...

The Beethoven and Virgin Mary has been trendy as hell in Japan the last year or so... Kapital certainly didn't come up with it on their own... the only thing they did was put the Beethoven and Native American stuff together.

Like almost every brand everywhere they make an inspiration wall and fill it with pictures, photos, and swatches and basically imitate or make slight changes to whatever they gather from it. It is a lot of work but the majority of the creativity is coming from the pattern makers and artists who are interpreting these ideas. People you will never see posted on Kapital instagram...

Free Tibet was probably a swipe directly aimed at the people making fakes of their stuff... I don't really think they give a **** about Tibet or its people...

You can find positivity wherever you want... I for one support the hard working people of Kapital's sewing factories and the designers that support and (basically do all the grunt work for Kiro) run the company behind the brand.
Yeah, didn't Warehouse have a bunch of sweaters with Beethoven stuff on it too this past year?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads