• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Rookoobay

Reaction score
this all just reminded me that the great japanese psych/folk band Ghost had cooler style and did this 22 years ago

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a matter of where we live but I never really got the feeling of anti-China sentiment or propaganda in the US. I got that feeling about Russia with our history and the Cold War however.

Case in point look at the last administration (whose name I shall not speak). The president tried to "win" the trade agreements and heavily tariff their products and everyone called him an idiot. If there was anti-Chinese sentiment, wouldn't people be in favor of that? Or is it a case of people disagreeing with everything Trump said or did like calling him racist for wanting flights from China restricted when COVID was in it's early stages.

Nite: I'm not a Trump supporter I hate all politicians, they always pick their party politics over doing what is right. And my feelings about China are probably influenced by what happened with my mother and her family as stated in a previous post.

I do agree with your points in the 2nd paragraph about the US being hypocritical.
I feel a lot of anti-China sentiment buildup and tbh it's one of the few things the left and the right wing sort of agree on right now. The tariffs were unpopular because it ultimately raised prices for American businesses and consumers who were completely dependent on the Chinese supply chain and not some kind of tax on the Chinese government like Trump pretended it was.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel a lot of anti-China sentiment buildup and tbh it's one of the few things the left and the right wing sort of agree on right now. The tariffs were unpopular because it ultimately raised prices for American businesses and consumers who were completely dependent on the Chinese supply chain and not some kind of tax on the Chinese government like Trump pretended it was.

Weren't the tariffs on products imported from China such as for example the parts Apple has made in China? I feel like this is more complex than what you're stating. If a tariff is put on any Apple product or part made in China then yes the Chinese companies will pay more money. Apple has a choice to do a few things:

1) eat the cost of the tariff so the Chinese companies make the same amount
2) share the cost of the tariff while keeping the retail price of the product the same so they both make less money
3) raise the price of their product. This will be subject to supply and demand. If consumers aren't willing to pay more for Apple's product they will have to re-adjust price
4) find another place to make the product other than China

However Apple chooses to handle it is their decision.

I feel like this is the same as people wanting to increase American corporate taxes, do you think the companies won't pass the increased cost onto the consumer? I do agree that a lot of the big corporations aren't paying enough in taxes but there isn't an easy solution to it.

Same as the $15 minimum wage proposal, I'd love it if everyone is able to make that much but companies would offset it by raising prices or automating some jobs

China's hold on the American economy is worrisome for me. We're both reliant on them for manufacturing and they're financing a large chunk of our national debt.

Last edited:

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
I think other people on this board are much more invested in the idea of connecting your clothes to some deeper meaning, whereas I'm fine with wearing things just because they look cool.

You can find stuff that looks cool and connect to a deeper meaning... conscious consumerism doesn't have to only be an "ism" it can be something you actually do and work toward and enjoy for yourself.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can find stuff that looks cool and connect to a deeper meaning... conscious consumerism doesn't have to only be an "ism" it can be something you actually do and work toward and enjoy for yourself.

No thank you. No thoughts. Just vibes.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daily update: ???

Screenshot_20210725_124125.jpg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are all saying free Tokyo like as though it is somehow the same. They got like no ammo, its funny.

Also I notice a lot of the accounts are like fresh accounts with like 10 followers or something like that. Also some are funny because they are wearing a ton of Japanese brands. Where all the proudly made in China folks?

brandon_strandy

Reaction score
They are all saying free Tokyo like as though it is somehow the same. They got like no ammo, its funny.

Also I notice a lot of the accounts are like fresh accounts with like 10 followers or something like that. Also some are funny because they are wearing a ton of Japanese brands. Where all the proudly made in China folks?

My favourite are the multiple comments saying fashion brands shouldn't touch politics lmao. Pretty much sums up the oppressed mentality inside mainland.

I remeber when this happened to Undercover and I was arguing with some Chinese dudes who were living / studying in Japan. Like dude you learned their langauge and voluntarily move to their country but call them dogs because of a hashtag? The lack of self awareness / logic is just eye-opening.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I decided to look Kapital up on Social Blade to see how much this controversy has affected their Instagram following. So far, it looks like the darkest part of the storm passed on Wednesday and they've since got back in the green for daily followers gained. However, since Instagram is banned in Mainland China, these numbers are skewed favorably for Kapital.
Screenshot_20210725-063422_Chrome.jpg

RuffyD

Reaction score
they seem to have moved on from comments like NMSL (your mom is dead)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads