• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really just starting buying a lot this 2020. Before that I didn’t really wear nice clothes for 2~ years while I was lifting to get fit, so I don’t have that much
Nothing like a pandemic where you can't go out and wear sweet ass clothes to buy a whole ton of new stuff. I know that's what I did. In a few months (hopefully) I'm gonna be flexing pretty hard.

I mean if I had money I would be doing the same haha. Hotel workers have a pretty shakey foundation so I can no longer indulge as I did a year ago. However it has allowed me to enjoy what I have waaaaay more. Sometimes I crave buying something, but I stop myself so I don't end up eating through my savings while work picks up.

I'm just jealous of all you bastards getting your pants/jackets and I'm still debating if I should wait till this next paycheck or what a couple more months. Even though I could take a quick train ride and pick em up.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean if I had money I would be doing the same haha. Hotel workers have a pretty shakey foundation so I can no longer indulge as I did a year ago. However it has allowed me to enjoy what I have waaaaay more. Sometimes I crave buying something, but I stop myself so I don't end up eating through my savings while work picks up.

I'm just jealous of all you bastards getting your pants/jackets and I'm still debating if I should wait till this next paycheck or what a couple more months. Even though I could take a quick train ride and pick em up.

I really have been thankful about how lucky I've been during this pandemic. I actually made more money than normal, and my expenses were way down (no travel). One of my startup companies got some heady PPP loans in the beginning too so I got some extra paychecks last summer when normally I'd be working for free, and the other reached a point where we could actually start issuing some paychecks to people. It's been really weird that when so many other people are struggling because of this, it generally made my life a lot easier. I finally got a bit of work downtime from my regular day job, especially in the beginning where most of my useless meetings got canceled before administrators figured out how to use zoom. I'm actually a little worried about things going back to "normal" because normal wasn't as good as whatever things are for us now. :p The only thing I really miss is going out to eat and having some fancy cocktails at the bar. Although my cocktail game has gotten pretty great lately.

I remember one night way back last spring where I was able to cook a nice meal for the wife, and then we were able to go out for a walk, and then have some drinks sitting on a bench at the nearby pond, thinking to myself and talking about how we never had time for this before. It was really nice and I don't want to have that personal time get eaten back up again by my job.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey man, you sound smart. I have a pretty unique situation compared to most on this forum. I’m 23 with no kids/mortgage/debt, and If I wanted to spend a similar amount of money at say age 35 with a family, I’d probably have to be a bit more careful, or make way more than I do

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really have been thankful about how lucky I've been during this pandemic. I actually made more money than normal, and my expenses were way down (no travel). One of my startup companies got some heady PPP loans in the beginning too so I got some extra paychecks last summer when normally I'd be working for free, and the other reached a point where we could actually start issuing some paychecks to people. It's been really weird that when so many other people are struggling because of this, it generally made my life a lot easier. I finally got a bit of work downtime from my regular day job, especially in the beginning where most of my useless meetings got canceled before administrators figured out how to use zoom. I'm actually a little worried about things going back to "normal" because normal wasn't as good as whatever things are for us now. :p The only thing I really miss is going out to eat and having some fancy cocktails at the bar. Although my cocktail game has gotten pretty great lately.

I remember one night way back last spring where I was able to cook a nice meal for the wife, and then we were able to go out for a walk, and then have some drinks sitting on a bench at the nearby pond, thinking to myself and talking about how we never had time for this before. It was really nice and I don't want to have that personal time get eaten back up again by my job.

You know, it's funny, I would say that just like you (aside from extra money), I found this pandemic actually extremely nice for me personally. Although I lost my job, my wife is working in a tech start up and could cover the lost income since she also got a big raise. Yeah I could no longer spend wildly, but she let me indulge here and there. The nice part was that I found myself having new perspective I never had. I had been working since I was 16 with no breaks nor college, trying to make **** happen. I was so focused on work that I never took the time to reflect what was important around me. I started focusing on working out, running biking, and cooking seriously.

The cooking part led me to go see my mom and grandma more often to learn the recipes I had always wanted to make. It lead me to feel more connected to my family since I always chose work over them. Honestly, in a weird way, I feel healthier and overall stronger from this pandemic. Now, I'm back to working in Japan and the new perspective has allowed me to be more chill with all the small bullshit.

hey man, you sound smart. I have a pretty unique situation compared to most on this forum. I’m 23 with no kids/mortgage/debt, and If I wanted to spend a similar amount of money at say age 35 with a family, I’d probably have to be a bit more careful, or make way more than I do

Yo dude enjoy that ****, I did the same thing you are doing except with guitars and synthesizers. Got to meet a ton of cool people, play in a ton of fun but ****** bands, and eat a metric ton of kimchi and rice.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As an old-ish man now (39), don't be spending your money on expensive clothes right now. Find yourself a good woman or man, save that money (invest it smartly if you can) and enjoy the fruits of your labor later.

I don't have any kids and at this point it's probs looking like we never will, so that gives us a ton of extra spending power. Kids are damn expensive. I went the route of grad school -> academia, which really did a number on the rest of my life. Getting a PhD nowadays (especially at a higher tier school) basically means giving up hopes of having any other kind of life, and then once in academia it's even worse. I'm lucky I'm even married. :p

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an old-ish man now (39), don't be spending your money on expensive clothes right now. Find yourself a good woman or man, save that money (invest it smartly if you can) and enjoy the fruits of your labor later.

I don't have any kids and at this point it's probs looking like we never will, so that gives us a ton of extra spending power. Kids are damn expensive. I went the route of grad school -> academia, which really did a number on the rest of my life. Getting a PhD nowadays (especially at a higher tier school) basically means giving up hopes of having any other kind of life, and then once in academia it's even worse. I'm lucky I'm even married. :p

I don’t want to get too into my personal situation, but I’m not putting myself into a precarious financial situation. I will be comfortable forever. I also have already found my partner and she’s wonderful. She’s the total opposite of me. She saves every penny and doesn’t like expensive things. She doesn’t wear expensive clothes, or get her hair done at the salon, or wear lots of makeup. I plan on enjoying my life now in my 20s, but also in my 30s-40s and beyond.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cooking part led me to go see my mom and grandma more often to learn the recipes I had always wanted to make. It lead me to feel more connected to my family since I always chose work over them. Honestly, in a weird way, I feel healthier and overall stronger from this pandemic. Now, I'm back to working in Japan and the new perspective has allowed me to be more chill with all the small bullshit.

That's really awesome. I'm glad you've gotten to be able to do that. One of my biggest regrets/misses in life was growing up we had neighbors across the street who were our defacto grandparents. They never ended up having kids, and myself and my sister would be over there every day hanging out and playing around. The wife, Naomi, had a canned chili sauce recipe that she'd give my family and we'd use it on burgers, steaks, etc. And she passed away before we ever got the recipe for it. Even though my mom was in control of her estate afterwards, the recipe was nowhere to be found. I guess it was only in her memory. If I had gotten into cooking earlier, it would have been one of the first things I had asked for. Make sure you get all those good recipes while you can. :)

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to get too into my personal situation, but I’m not putting myself into a precarious financial situation. I will be comfortable forever. I also have already found my partner and she’s wonderful. She’s the total opposite of me. She saves every penny and doesn’t like expensive things. She doesn’t wear expensive clothes, or get her hair done at the salon, or wear lots of makeup. I plan on enjoying my life now in my 20s, but also in my 30s-40s and beyond.

Then live your dream man. :) My wife is way more frugal than I am (most likely due to her rough upbringing). Sounds like we're in pretty similar situations. If anything I try and get my wife hyped on things -- I think I've got her committed to trying a pair of Cottle jeans since she really could use a good new pair.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then live your dream man. :) My wife is way more frugal than I am (most likely due to her rough upbringing). Sounds like we're in pretty similar situations. If anything I try and get my wife hyped on things -- I think I've got her committed to trying a pair of Cottle jeans since she really could use a good new pair.
My dream is to work in this industry in some form or the other... I don’t want to retire young I want to do what I’m passionate about, and grow. Life is boring without doing something you’re passionate about. I’m completely bored out of my mind.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dream is to work in this industry in some form or the other... I don’t want to retire young I want to do what I’m passionate about, and grow. Life is boring without doing something you’re passionate about. I’m completely bored out of my mind.

I was really lucky in this regard. Really early I already had my calling. Back in middle school I was already killing it in computer science (back when screens were black and orange), and it was something I really enjoyed. Born in the right time with the right skills I guess. So it only made sense to keep going all the way to the PhD. I don't even remember the last time I've been bored. I have so many things I want to work on and try out I don't even have the time for a quarter of them. Sadly it seems like a lot of my professional life right now is trying to brush things I have to do off my desk so I can get to the things I really want to work on, which isn't great.

Just for some other old man anecdotes, when I was in undergrad one of my former girlfriends would spend the night with me at my parents place from time to time (like a tried and true computer scientist my bedroom was down in the basement). I was very lucky to have liberal parents. :) But anyways, one morning I was working on some stuff, blasting my psychedelic trance from the basement, and she had gone upstairs to have breakfast with the parents. My dad, without missing a beat, was like "You know, we always encouraged tdes81... sometimes I think we encouraged him too much". I'm glad they did though, it let me do what I love, no matter how weird. :p

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I wish I would've followed computer stuff more, but honestly I was more of a people person so even without a degree, I was drawn into hospitality by chance. Either that or because I was a smooth talker. I ended up going from a doorman to bellman to a concierge etc etc. I kept climbing until people valued my opinion enough to help in hotel openings.

Yeah it's a little ****** now, but it's not like it was any better back in 2008. any industries will have there up and downs. I personally love it, I mean a ton of cool people, have a ton of cool conversations. Plus free **** randomly is always nice haha.

I'm not worried about not getting new jawns. Frankly my acquisition rate had slowed down tremendously before hand, and I think it will continue to do so as end up focusing more on cooking, biking, running etc. I like Kapital for that reason, when you buy the non hyped pieces, they really feel part of you after a while. I don't have to worry about trends too much.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20210306_175517-01.jpeg

5 versions of Century Denim

L to R:
Asagi
Indigo 123s
Sumi (charcoal dyed)
Kakishibu (persimmon dyed)
Dorozome (Amami mud dyed)

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dude. The kakishibu are stellar. What a color wheel.

Thanks, man! They are really unusual in a good way. These ones are the Stone cut and all the others are Cisco or Monkey Cisco.

I also have a pair of the grass dyed jeans but they're not Century Denim. I love these unusual dyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads