• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Interesting. Would you say that the quality drop is across the board? Or are there still some type of pieces that hold the same quality as before? I would imagine that at least the boro stuff and century denims are the same for example...

Most of the novelty products like t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc I feel have dropped in quality, material wise. Thinner, more over processed cotton almost feels like recycled yarn. However, they have never really been a brand revolving around making high quality product builds. But, they used to use a cover stitch on their tees and now they just use ribbing most of the time. Less interesting stitching and build methods, plus patterning and cutting has gotten boring for most new items when they have them. Not necessarily a drop in quality...The last interesting item that had insane build quality was the Kamakura parka.

The quality of the brands creativity has suffered most.

Century denim is still the same as is the boro.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? In what way has the creativity suffered? Why do you believe this has happened?

Just look at the products they made 6-8 years ago and compare them to today. Theres a lack of detail and a lot less care and thought put into each product. You'd never see any product quite like Kapital a few years ago, nowadays Kapital stuff looks like other brands stuff, similar graphics, similar artwork, similar color palettes.

Why? Well to state the obvious they have a much bigger presence than they used to. The thing is the company hasn't really changed but the customer has, and I think this has put more creative emphasis on selling dumbed down products to more people so that may pick up one or two expensive "Kapital Essential" pieces.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look at the products they made 6-8 years ago and compare them to today. Theres a lack of detail and a lot less care and thought put into each product. You'd never see any product quite like Kapital a few years ago, nowadays Kapital stuff looks like other brands stuff, similar graphics, similar artwork, similar color palettes.

Why? Well to state the obvious they have a much bigger presence than they used to. The thing is the company hasn't really changed but the customer has, and I think this has put more creative emphasis on selling dumbed down products to more people so that may pick up one or two expensive "Kapital Essential" pieces.

Thanks for explaining. Good info. Do you have any particular examples of products from 6-8 years ago that you’re thinking of? Also, in your opinion, which pieces are “Kapital Essentials”?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this really cool denim baseball jersey with union special chained stitches on from what I think was 2012. It has a great weight to it too.

I do think going to the store, especially here in Kyoto it was really disappointing. It was all sweats, fleeces, tees in different cuts and color. They felt really flimsy especially the hyped damask fleeces. It took up like 80 percent of the floor space.

I do think it's gotten a bit stale and there a ton of cool japanese brands to select from too. Kapital is unique in many ways, but high quality for the most part it is not.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. Good info. Do you have any particular examples of products from 6-8 years ago that you’re thinking of? Also, in your opinion, which pieces are “Kapital Essentials”?

Hmm nothing in particular its not quite as simple as just items specifically, the whole atmosphere of the brand has changed little by little. I don't think there are any actual essential pieces, but there are one or two items that I am reluctant to sell that I wear occasionally.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
I have this really cool denim baseball jersey with union special chained stitches on from what I think was 2012. It has a great weight to it too.

I do think going to the store, especially here in Kyoto it was really disappointing. It was all sweats, fleeces, tees in different cuts and color. They felt really flimsy especially the hyped damask fleeces. It took up like 80 percent of the floor space.

I do think it's gotten a bit stale and there a ton of cool japanese brands to select from too. Kapital is unique in many ways, but high quality for the most part it is not.

They used to make great fleece but those pieces were 400-600 for a jacket even. They even had good colors. The Damask fleeces are not warm at all, and the colors are horrible.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used to make great fleece but those pieces were 400-600 for a jacket even. They even had good colors. The Damask fleeces are not warm at all, and the colors are horrible.

Well, it's just my opinion of course, but I've always really liked the looks of the damask fleece Kakashi. I know the material is on the thin side, but that's just a positive for me as I would wear it inside as a light cardigan and I generally run pretty warm. Ymmv of course.

1610788563387.png

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news. Any thoughts in the thread about the Popeye boots?

1610788985770.png

1610789025670.png

1610789083317.png

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool design but definitely don't love em, they also don't make my size. Honestly the smiley boots leather doesn't feel like a 1000 plus shoe either. I think their best shoes are the kakushibu dyed side zips

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Disappointed to hear about the drop in quality. Haven't handled anything from Kapital in maybe 7 or 8 years, but prior to that the quality seemed very good to me. Is everything still made in Japan or have they shifted to China for some things (not that this would necessarily lead to a drop in quality)? I didn't love everything Kapital did, but it was always interesting at least. Disturbing to learn that stores are now just filled with standard "tourist souvenirs" - i.e. tees and sweats.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Well, it's just my opinion of course, but I've always really liked the looks of the damask fleece Kakashi. I know the material is on the thin side, but that's just a positive for me as I would wear it inside as a light cardigan and I generally run pretty warm. Ymmv of course.

View attachment 1536723
That is printed flannel not fleece. It isn't even flannel actually its super thin chamois...

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Disappointed to hear about the drop in quality. Haven't handled anything from Kapital in maybe 7 or 8 years, but prior to that the quality seemed very good to me. Is everything still made in Japan or have they shifted to China for some things (not that this would necessarily lead to a drop in quality)? I didn't love everything Kapital did, but it was always interesting at least. Disturbing to learn that stores are now just filled with standard "tourist souvenirs" - i.e. tees and sweats.

Same as always they make everything in their own factories in Okayama. Some of the items like the tsugihagi kesa cardigan, some of their metal accessories and stuff is made in Nepal but that has always been the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads