• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried this one on in the main store in Ebisu a few months back and I think it's one of the easiest-to-wear* and best-looking pieces that Kapital do. But it's extraordinarily expensive for what it is.

*depending on what else you normally wear, of course.

Did you try the Kesa version as well?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told @Patek about buying off Kapital's website with a proxy like zenmarket so he wouldn't be paying import/US prices.

I do agree that Kapital is a certain look and I'm not sure some of it will work with what he normally wears. I haven't ventured into WAYWT in years but based on recent pics in threads I follow it seems to be raw jeans, boots, and J Crew type shirts.

Anyways I can't really say I'm a fan of the 2 tees but the cardigan is cool. Like I said above, the ring coat would go much better with how I think he dresses than the cardigan.

If I were looking into buying something from Kapital for the first time (besides the ring coat), I would look at their kakashi shirts and the snufkin bag if you have use for it. Maybe some of their shirts too.

Some of the fun to me is mixing up different elements. I think the cardigan with some worn in raw denim, a RRL shirt, and JL or White's boots would work. I think it looks way too effected trying to wear all the same brand or look book.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a literal example of what I mean by mix and match. I just threw a ring coat over what I'm already wearing today which is Brooks Brothers linen shirt and Eapulet pants along with Buttero shoes and I think it works just fine. No need to go full Japanese on any of this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_114019921.jpg
    IMG_20200812_114019921.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love me the Kesa one. At 6'1, my guess is that it would be better for me than the cardi. But yeah, very expensive.

I mean this stuff is not cheap but compared to other designers it is a relative bargain.

Kapital pricing (in Japan) is in line with RRL. The difference being that RRL goes on sale all the time and Kapital fetches healthy prices even on the secondary market.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look - do the cuffs come down to your hands all the way or do they ride up a little? Hard to tell from the pics, and also affected by if you're wearing a watch. If it's comfortable to you, though, is the most important thing.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look - do the cuffs come down to your hands all the way or do they ride up a little? Hard to tell from the pics, and also affected by if you're wearing a watch. If it's comfortable to you, though, is the most important thing.

Yeah, I just threw it on to snap a picture. It hangs till about the ball of my thumb so it doesn't have the coveted "Japanese schoolgirl wearing her dad's jacket" oversizedness but still wears large. Since size 3 is as large as they go, I couldn't go larger anyway.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every so often, I debate whether I should sell my Tsugihagi Kesa cardigan and get the shorter Kakashi version instead. (A couple of users would call me crazy, but alas.)

I feel like I'd wear the Tsugihagi Kakashi outside more often, whereas the Kesa would be relegated to being worn inside the house and acting as a comforter when the thermometer hits below 5-10 degrees Celsius.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every so often, I debate whether I should sell my Tsugihagi Kesa cardigan and get the shorter Kakashi version instead. (A couple of users would call me crazy, but alas.)

I feel like I'd wear the Tsugihagi Kakashi outside more often, whereas the Kesa would be relegated to being worn inside the house and acting as a comforter when the thermometer hits below 5-10 degrees Celsius.

Exactly my thought process. The longer version looks to make a great (if expensive) robe for around the house. With three dogs, it would make a great way to pick up all the dog hair. The shorter version you can wear under stuff (including the ring coat if you want to go crazy) or wear it over jeans and a T shirt.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe going all kapital is affected at all. They release stuff as boring as slim straight blue Jeans and Gingham Oxfords to crazy stuff we often see in their lookbooks.

Especially if you shop like I do, thrifting about 80 percent of your clothes, wearing Kapital as your main brand isn't difficult. Again I tend to dress in a pretty directional type of Americana.

Also I remember seeing that knit cardigan at the Osaka store and I don't think it would be comfy with other stuff on top. It's kinda big and it seems like it wouldn't fit under stuff all that well.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just threw it on to snap a picture. It hangs till about the ball of my thumb so it doesn't have the coveted "Japanese schoolgirl wearing her dad's jacket" oversizedness but still wears large. Since size 3 is as large as they go, I couldn't go larger anyway.
Fair point - it was the ribbed sleeve cuffs on the inside of my size 1 ring coat that drove me a little crazy for being slightly too short, though you'd hardly notice at all from the exterior of the coat.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe going all kapital is affected at all. They release stuff as boring as slim straight blue Jeans and Gingham Oxfords to crazy stuff we often see in their lookbooks.

Especially if you shop like I do, thrifting about 80 percent of your clothes, wearing Kapital as your main brand isn't difficult. Again I tend to dress in a pretty directional type of Americana.

I can see that. I remember when my wardrobe was 80% BB as they made underwear and socks, suits, casual shirts, shorts etc. You literally could buy everything in one store and call it a day and still have very different looks.

I assume most people in the US are buying more of the signature items and then blending that with less pronounced items. An old friend of the family comes from old money and their family is a household name. I loved her style as she would pair a Forever 21 top with some gap khakis and mall bijou then thrown on a pair of Gucci gator loafers and Hermes scarf and it all looked effortless (which is the point of style to me).

You could wear all Kapital without looking like you walked out of the look book but I much prefer to spend the dough on a couple signature pieces that then get mixed in with plebeian garb. I guess my point is that all signature pieces is not my style.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah most of the stuff that reaches the US is the wild pieces but in Japan a lot of the stores are filled with more basic pieces. I kinda wish we got more of their quality basics.

Just at the markup it would not compete with other similar brands. Also I probably wouldn't cop those either considering most American could be had at a thrift store pretty easily.

CarterH

Reaction score

How is the fabric? Is it scratchy at all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads