• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had my ring coat for a few weeks and haven't been able to use it once because of summer. But I see it for what it is: just a fun statement piece that I will use now and again. It will probably not get as much wear as my leathers, regular field jackets and coats.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found my Ring Coat (bought from Kamote Joe on here) to be just not quite what I want. I have plenty of Kapital stuff but I just didn't find myself reaching for it when I went out. It's not warm enough for when it's really cold, and it's a bit too all-encompassing, fiddly and uncomfortable the rest of the time. It's almost like it wears you rather than the other way around. Maybe the jacket-length version would feel different. Anyway, it's a Size 1, perfect condition, olive green cotton and currently on sale on Gr*iled...

I hear the fiddly complaint. Is can certainly be that if you let it. It sounds like you have the long version. I have three long coats including a traditional trench coat and a thick cashmere coat that hardly ever get wear. Part of it is just the length which makes it an occasion just to put it on or carry it through airports, tuck into cars etc. I have found that I am much more likely to grab a shorter coat. As it is just easier to put on an off and carry.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found my ring coats to be one of the best things for traveling. Agree about them not being that versatile for all weather - you need to layer, even with the wool ones in anything that's actually cold. That being said, because they're roomy you can wear a light jacket/heavy sweater/etc under it as a mid layer with plenty of space. I also wear my camera sling under my ring coat so it's hidden from prying eyes/hands and when I need to snap a picture I just swing it open and whip it out.

I have pics of me wearing a size 1 vs 2 katsuragi somewhere on my laptop that I'll try and track down if I have the time today. Not so excited about my old review fit pics, but c'est la vie.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current shopping cart on Zen market. Would love any real-world feedback on any of these items before I hit buy:

I don't know if I will wear this much outside the house but it could make a great layering and for sure a statement piece:

I think this is a interesting general purpose shirt. Also good for layering but then interesting once the outer layer comes off:

Not totally in love with this piece so if I delete anything it may be this. The texture looks great but I can probably find something similar locally. It does not carry the Kapital signature which is an asset but also makes it less special. I think I just talked myself out of it.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw one of those sashiko cardigans at the store, they are big. Also they are a very loose weave so it's honestly more a transition season thing. Layering underneath might be cool though.

The long sleeve t is cool, the tie dye shirt is fine but neither worth importing. If I was at the store in Japan, I'd probably cop.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current shopping cart on Zen market. Would love any real-world feedback on any of these items before I hit buy:

I don't know if I will wear this much outside the house but it could make a great layering and for sure a statement piece:

I think this is a interesting general purpose shirt. Also good for layering but then interesting once the outer layer comes off:

Not totally in love with this piece so if I delete anything it may be this. The texture looks great but I can probably find something similar locally. It does not carry the Kapital signature which is an asset but also makes it less special. I think I just talked myself out of it.

I only like the cardigan, but I would've chosen the longer version.

On another note. Why are you thinking of buying these items at all? I mean, you just recently came into this thread and talked about dipping your toes into Kapital by maybe getting a ring coat. And now it just seems as though you've gone through the website and found stuff that you think "might" work.

My advice would be to try and get that ring coat and see what you think about other pieces later on.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only like the cardigan, but I would've chosen the longer version.

On another note. Why are you thinking of buying these items at all? I mean, you just recently came into this thread and talked about dipping your toes into Kapital by maybe getting a ring coat. And now it just seems as though you've gone through the website and found stuff that you think "might" work.

My advice would be to try and get that ring coat and see what you think about other pieces later on.

Fair enough point. I guess this is my way of dipping my toes in but good point, this is all unnecessary. Stuck at home does stuff to us I guess. I do have the ring coat I ordered off Bailed so I have some feel for that.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough point. I guess this is my way of dipping my toes in but good point, this is all unnecessary. Stuck at home does stuff to us I guess.

I totally get that. I've gone through the same stuff before. But save yourself some money and piece of mind by holding off a bit.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally get that. I've gone through the same stuff before. But save yourself some money and piece of mind by holding off a bit.

Solid advice.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly at import/US prices, I can't usually recommend most pieces by kapital, some are too directional for most, and other kinda bland. It's to be expected when they release like an assload of pieces each season. Not to mention constant restocks.

Get the ring coat, and wait around for the next piece that catches your eye. I feel like covid has us all looking at new **** we don't need haha.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly at import/US prices, I can't usually recommend most pieces by kapital, some are too directional for most, and other kinda bland. It's to be expected when they release like an assload of pieces each season. Not to mention constant restocks.

Get the ring coat, and wait around for the next piece that catches your eye. I feel like covid has us all looking at new **** we don't need haha.

That bandana jacket though... :drool:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told @Patek about buying off Kapital's website with a proxy like zenmarket so he wouldn't be paying import/US prices.

I do agree that Kapital is a certain look and I'm not sure some of it will work with what he normally wears. I haven't ventured into WAYWT in years but based on recent pics in threads I follow it seems to be raw jeans, boots, and J Crew type shirts.

Anyways I can't really say I'm a fan of the 2 tees but the cardigan is cool. Like I said above, the ring coat would go much better with how I think he dresses than the cardigan.

If I were looking into buying something from Kapital for the first time (besides the ring coat), I would look at their kakashi shirts and the snufkin bag if you have use for it. Maybe some of their shirts too.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some few more tips:

Century denim
Kakashis
Kathmandu shirt (long or short sleeve)
Ring coat
Bandanas and bandana fringe necklace
Some of the Kapital aloha shirts are really good
Jubbahn shirt (dotera remake)

I have the sukyiaki shirt on order and my guess is that I will add this to the list, but the jury is still out on that one.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried this one on in the main store in Ebisu a few months back and I think it's one of the easiest-to-wear* and best-looking pieces that Kapital do. But it's extraordinarily expensive for what it is.

*depending on what else you normally wear, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads