• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Hellanormcore

Reaction score
Honestly that is pretty good. Buying Kapital on grailed tends to be absolutely dumb most of the time. People in all caps posting RARE, and selling a piece that is still for sale at retailers for close to double the cost at times.

I've gotten some good deals here and there, but people posting like as if people actually collect Kapital. They make a billion and a half pieces per season, I could only imagine what a Kapital collectors house looks like.

I lost count of the number of times people bought my Kap stuff off Grailed only to see it relisted at a jacked up price.

Reaction score
Hell0 ?

Super newbie here (also new to Kapital), not sure if this is the right place for an introduction/questions but here goes:

1. (Kapital Community question) Given Kapital's notoriety, im really surprised to not find a following/community for this brand anywhere, am i missing something? The only place i really see it being discussed is here.
  • theres random posts sprinkled about on reddit under japanesestreetwear (but no dedicated subreddit),
  • same on superfuture but less, mainly the kapital jeans thread.
  • bandanna almanac's blog posts
  • no dedicated subforum anywhere.
  • I'm wondering if there are japanese websites/communities i dont know about because they arent in english?
2. (Styleforum/Kapital community question) No Kapital Wiki at the top of this thread? (or anywhere hah). Useful information about navigating the brand n its offerings and ownership advice like fits n sizing etc etc. (obviously a lot of those things can be subjective but i mean more broader info thats widely known or accepted, ex. century denim factoids). i imagine theres lots of new people interested in the brand (like me) asking questions that have been answered before. Hopefully this post doesnt contain a bunch of them. but to do my due diligence and try to avoid that- i read through the 110 previous pages of this thread.... yeah ... ive got a problem :|

3. (Secondhand question) Are there other/better places than YahooAuctions / Mercari / Rakuten / grailed (bleh) to find second hand Kapital clothing? ive gone through pretty much all of those, i also dont see Kapital pop up much in Japan thrift shops (maybe im going to the wrong ones). I'm also surprised that there isnt more of a thriving community of second hand selling anywhere i can find.

4. (Century Denim question) usage and ymmv testimonials on owning century denim. how long ppl have gone w/o a wash, or soak. what kind of soak/process, and the resulting fading/patina each of the century denim washes age with. and pictures.

5. (Regional question) Anyone else here in Japan?

6. Are you not supposed to wash the bandannas until you've broken them in? Lmao. half kidding. no but seriously asking for a friend.

Thanks ya'll, apologies for my poor writing and wall of text. Thanks to everyone keeping a community alive w/ the posts for others to find.

dangerous

Reaction score
I don't wash my century denim super often. Wash them when I get them because it's cardboard.

Fades are developing quite nicely. It's more a marbling process than standard fades, imo. Pictures are available on Heddels if you google.

Reaction score
I don't wash my century denim super often. Wash them when I get them because it's cardboard.

Fades are developing quite nicely. It's more a marbling process than standard fades, imo. Pictures are available on Heddels if you google.

interesting! from my reading i thought the general guidelines were to wear them as long as you can tolerate it to break em in and get a fade you like before washing them to "lock" em in. or the soak approach to mitigate weird crocking.

i read the 2 heddels fade fridays posts but was looking for more of the century 123 and 7S. following #123 on instagram yields a bunch of testimonial shots which has been a good reference. but was still a bit unsatisfied with the lack of consistency. and lighting is always finicky.

is the whole, freezer thing a myth? ;)

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost every conventional wisdom that was passed down a couple years were bullshit in regards to jeans. Freezer is bullshit, you’ll just have cold stank jeans, wash normally with Woolite or some other non harsh detergent. A no spindle washer is best. Wash em when you feel like it, century denim doesn’t get deep fades.

Im not in Japan right now, but was living there for a while. I was in Kansai, and found second street to be really abundant with Kapital stuff. Especially when I went on a day trip to Kurashiki.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Kapital on sale at Moda Operandi:

If I'm 6' 190 lbs and wear a large in US brands is it safe to say I'm a 4 in Kapital? All I have from them is a tee in that size and it's fitted on me but I think some people said tees run small/slim.

I see a lot of conflicting measurements, Kapital's looks like some (not oversized) items will fit me in a 3 but other stores with the same item shows it as being too small. Some stores list 3 as a large and others a 4.

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm 6' 190 lbs and wear a large in US brands is it safe to say I'm a 4 in Kapital? All I have from them is a tee in that size and it's fitted on me but I think some people said tees run small/slim.

I see a lot of conflicting measurements, Kapital's looks like some (not oversized) items will fit me in a 3but other stores with the same item shows it as being too small. Some stores list 3 as a large and others a 4.

I'm 6' and 190 lbs and generally speaking size 4 works for me and is what I usually get. It's a perfect fit for their t-shirts and sweaters. That being said some things can run a bit slim (pants, some shirts) and a 5 would work better. But 5s can be pretty impossible to find. For other things which are really oversized (the huge Ts, ring coats and things like that) size 3 works fine (and is usually the largest size anyways).

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see a lot of conflicting measurements, Kapital's looks like some (not oversized) items will fit me in a 3but other stores with the same item shows it as being too small. Some stores list 3 as a large and others a 4.

Shipping from MO is crazy expensive though.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is it for you? It's only $15 for me, I'm guessing you don't live in the US?

Oh lol, I thought MO was in Europe since they had their prices in Euros. Explains the $80 shipping fee. :facepalm:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am normally a size 4 in Kapital tops (6'1 and 183 lbs). But looking at the measurements of the denim sukiyaki shirt from this season I feel as though a size 3 would be better. Or is there anything about the sizing of this style of shirt that I am missing? Size 4 seems huge p2p...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly only pay attention to the actual measurements with Kapital, much less often to the stated size, which usually has nothing to do with how I want to wear the piece. A fair number of Kapital pieces are sized on an assumption that you're going to be wearing them very slouchy.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly only pay attention to the actual measurements with Kapital, much less often to the stated size, which usually has nothing to do with how I want to wear the piece. A fair number of Kapital pieces are sized on an assumption that you're going to be wearing them very slouchy.

Ya sure, but in this instance a size four seems very large even for slouchy fits. I would say its even a very slouchy western fit. Have you tried this shirt by any chance?

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hoodog my understanding was all sukiyakis have a larger width measurement because you can button them 2 ways:

straight up/down which I believe they use to take the measurements and diagonally

Buttoning the shirt diagonally makes it slimmer in the chest and the width down to the hem.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@hoodog my understanding was all sukiyakis have a larger width measurement because you can button them 2 ways:

straight up/down which I believe they use to take the measurements and diagonally

Buttoning the shirt diagonally makes it slimmer in the chest and the width down to the hem.

That makes total sense. Thanks buddy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads