• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kN0Rab1.jpg

Extra low effort, but is there such a thing as too much furoshiki? I don't think so.

dangerous

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of the 1-2-3s century denim? I've got a good deal on a pair of them, new, but I can't really justify the $500 cost.

I assume it's the fading that really makes them pop? I mean, $500 can get you some really really sick denim.

I got the No 5, as pants, and No 7, as a jacket. I really like the 3.S.A, but they seem to be impossible to get a hold of.

I found these pictures here: https://www.kapital.jp/info/detail/760.html

show

show

While very, very, nice, I don't find it that special for the price tag. I think the other colourways are better, and that these end up being overpriced. I'd love to be convinced to think differently though.

Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all the century denim is overpriced at 500-600. The kakishibu and asagi are the only really interesting ones in my eyes. Still wouldn't pay that much for the jackets nor the pants.

The Japanese prices at like 250-350 is much more palatable. It's a cool but the deep blue sashiko fabric is starting to be done by a ton of companies. Although I like Kapital cuts the best. Ymmv tho

dangerous

Reaction score
I think all the century denim is overpriced at 500-600. The kakishibu and asagi are the only really interesting ones in my eyes. Still wouldn't pay that much for the jackets nor the pants.

The Japanese prices at like 250-350 is much more palatable. It's a cool but the deep blue sashiko fabric is starting to be done by a ton of companies. Although I like Kapital cuts the best. Ymmv tho

These were my thoughts too. Are they really that cheap in Japan? I wish there were proxy options for kapital century stuff.

Do you know if the Asagi pair is discontinued?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were my thoughts too. Are they really that cheap in Japan? I wish there were proxy options for kapital century stuff.

Do you know if the Asagi pair is discontinued?

If I remember correctly they are like 28,000 yen for the Kakishibu, Asagi, Sumi pants and like 35,000 yen or so something for the jackets. I remember them being on par with your general selvedge Japanese denim.

Asagi is still around, just a less popular color I feel so I don't see it stocked much. I'll be back to work in Japan once the travel ban lifts and I'll be able to confirm prices.

dangerous

Reaction score
If I remember correctly they are like 28,000 yen for the Kakishibu, Asagi, Sumi pants and like 35,000 yen or so something for the jackets. I remember them being on par with your general selvedge Japanese denim.

Asagi is still around, just a less popular color I feel so I don't see it stocked much. I'll be back to work in Japan once the travel ban lifts and I'll be able to confirm prices.

I really like my jacket and pants - sumi jacket and kakishibu pants. I kinda wanted the Asagi style, but every western retailer seems to be out of stock on them... There's a russian retailer, but they don't have size 36. I like the style for summer a lot.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to see some of the century denim in person, but I haven't seen it in the Roppongi stores when I've visited. Is it only available in one of their other stores in Tokyo? Or is it a seasonal/limited item that I'll need to be "in the know" for when it drops?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't own a pair, but they seem like a pretty unique pair of jeans to me. Standard & Strange has good photos.

Whether they're "worth it" to someone at that price seems like a subjective call.

looseandwavey

Reaction score
I've been wanting to see some of the century denim in person, but I haven't seen it in the Roppongi stores when I've visited. Is it only available in one of their other stores in Tokyo? Or is it a seasonal/limited item that I'll need to be "in the know" for when it drops?
I found that they had a fair amount in the ginza legs store. My understanding is that's the best place to go

dangerous

Reaction score
I don't own a pair, but they seem like a pretty unique pair of jeans to me. Standard & Strange has good photos.

Whether they're "worth it" to someone at that price seems like a subjective call.

They are certainly unique. I think most colours are worth the money, but the 1-2-3s retail for a lot more and while I really enjoy the cuts of Kapital, how much different are they to, lets say, a pair of normal sashiko pants that's just dyed all over in one colour? The colour does not pop, and that's why I was curious if anyone got any experience of them - to tell me if it is a big difference in real life, because on pictures it looks ... real cool, but not that WOW-factor that the other century denim have.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are certainly unique. I think most colours are worth the money, but the 1-2-3s retail for a lot more and while I really enjoy the cuts of Kapital, how much different are they to, lets say, a pair of normal sashiko pants that's just dyed all over in one colour? The colour does not pop, and that's why I was curious if anyone got any experience of them - to tell me if it is a big difference in real life, because on pictures it looks ... real cool, but not that WOW-factor that the other century denim have.

Feels like that slightly more subdued look could be better in some outfits.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing those 1-2-3s for a while myself. What kind of shrinkage should I expect?

Also, could someone tell me the difference between the Cisco and okagilly fits?

dangerous

Reaction score
I've been eyeing those 1-2-3s for a while myself. What kind of shrinkage should I expect?

Also, could someone tell me the difference between the Cisco and okagilly fits?

It stretches back quite a bit; they are unsanforized, but they still don't shrink a lot in the shower. A tiny bit, but not much more.

I think the okabilly is basically a slim straight fit.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It stretches back quite a bit; they are unsanforized, but they still don't shrink a lot in the shower. A tiny bit, but not much more.

I think the okabilly is basically a slim straight fit.

So what's the difference between the Cisco and it?

dangerous

Reaction score
So what's the difference between the Cisco and it?

Cisco is basically a high rise tapered cut with room in the thighs.

I know that blue button shop have charts on most models, but the Okabilly was not there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads