• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by athleticwear... For example I often wear my kakashi / noragi type tops over sweats. The recent damask one goes really well with my FDMTL indigo hooded sweatshirt and pants. That kind of looser, old-fashioned sportswear in non-technical fabrics does fine with the Kapital's loose and slightly oversized vibe. I guess even the classic (and much cheaper) Champion sweats would work just as well depending on the colours.

I meant for active wear, like hiking, working out, etc.

Yea, hoodies and sweats work well with Kapital. I wear hoodies under pretty much everything now.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant for active wear, like hiking, working out, etc.

Ah, I see... then I'd say probably not on the whole. Most of what Kapital make isn't aimed at this look or feeling at all. There might be the odd piece, but generally they aren't exactly making breathable things from technical fabrics, more like the opposite!

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see... then I'd say probably not on the whole. Most of what Kapital make isn't aimed at this look or feeling at all. There might be the odd piece, but generally they aren't exactly making breathable things from technical fabrics, more like the opposite!

Thanks, nothing from the big sportswear brands (Nike, Adidas, etc) fit in with Kapital's aesthetic. I guess some yoga brands might go with the hippie stuff they put out?

But yea it probably looks a little weird going from a workout/lazy errand outfit of a technical fabric hoodie and shorts to Kapital later in the day.

conqueror

Reaction score
i recently had a series of blood tests + scans in the one day and wore hi-vis yellow puma running shorts with my navy waffle baja samu. BRAND SYNERGY.

maregmareg

Reaction score
Personally I don't see the point in fully devoting to only Kapital style, especially considering they don't have "one" particular aesthetic, but a mix of various ones that somehow fit together.

For running I use Gyakusou and Nike stuff, for hiking and other outdoor acitivies I wear South2 West8, Patagonia and other outdoor brands. For daily wear I try to mix mainly Nepenthes stuff with Kapital, only sometimes going almost full Kapital, because why not?

maregmareg

Reaction score
By the way - sadly I need to sell my Jubbahn Shirt, got some unexpected expenses coming really soon and I need additional $$$...
size 4, still brand new, only tried on and tags removed - looking for 320$ + pp fee + shipping, I believe that's a very fair price. Will send my own pics if needed.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Thanks, nothing from the big sportswear brands (Nike, Adidas, etc) fit in with Kapital's aesthetic. I guess some yoga brands might go with the hippie stuff they put out?

But yea it probably looks a little weird going from a workout/lazy errand outfit of a technical fabric hoodie and shorts to Kapital later in the day.

Anything can go with anything fabric/texture wise. It just depends on whether or not you're comfortable in it. I find most peoples wardrobes are dedicated to fashion fads and not on personal taste/style. Hardest thing for most people I run into at Kapital is the tight jeans debacle.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything can go with anything fabric/texture wise. It just depends on whether or not you're comfortable in it. I find most peoples wardrobes are dedicated to fashion fads and not on personal taste/style. Hardest thing for most people I run into at Kapital is the tight jeans debacle.

Tight jeans debacle? Do you mean like too tight or just all around I'll fitting?

I think my favorite part of Kapital is it can go with anything as long as one doesnt spend all their time being so fussy about it. I can see wearing my kapital stuff in all sorts of ways.

Hell whenever I go back home to Mexico, my kapital Western stuff get a whole lot of praise from the og's in los ranchos. The same could be said when I'm running around town in a sweatshirt and some kapital shorts.

BandannAlmanac

Reaction score
Tight jeans debacle? Do you mean like too tight or just all around I'll fitting?

I think my favorite part of Kapital is it can go with anything as long as one doesnt spend all their time being so fussy about it. I can see wearing my kapital stuff in all sorts of ways.

Hell whenever I go back home to Mexico, my kapital Western stuff get a whole lot of praise from the og's in los ranchos. The same could be said when I'm running around town in a sweatshirt and some kapital shorts.

Guys in skinny fits is a fad that really needs to die. A lot of people who try to get into Kapital are so worried about looking weird or whatever. I always thought that was the point. A lot of Kapital stuff goes over well outside of Japan despite people saying “it’s a tough look to pull off”. And here we are with most of the street wear community buying up bone and bandanna prints from Kapital. *shrug*

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys in skinny fits is a fad that really needs to die. A lot of people who try to get into Kapital are so worried about looking weird or whatever. I always thought that was the point. A lot of Kapital stuff goes over well outside of Japan despite people saying “it’s a tough look to pull off”. And here we are with most of the street wear community buying up bone and bandanna prints from Kapital. *shrug*

Yeah, I moved on from skinny fits a while back and I couldn't be happier. I have big feet and it only ever made me more self conscious of it. I choose Kapital once I was dressing well, mostly because I felt I no longer wanted to dress well but express myself. I think the idea of pulling it off is irrelevant if you are confident when wearing it.

I used to be afraid of looking corny, now I just embrace it. I would say something about the skeleton and bandana prints but I literally just bought the Mexican tux set and have my eye on the bandana keel vest so I'm no better than the street wear boiz it seems

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't see the point in fully devoting to only Kapital style, especially considering they don't have "one" particular aesthetic, but a mix of various ones that somehow fit together.

For running I use Gyakusou and Nike stuff, for hiking and other outdoor acitivies I wear South2 West8, Patagonia and other outdoor brands. For daily wear I try to mix mainly Nepenthes stuff with Kapital, only sometimes going almost full Kapital, because why not?

I don't think anyone was suggesting only wear Kapital, either all the time or all at once. The question was just about whether technical athletic wear would work with Kapital, and my view is that I don't think so. Lots of other things would. I think we all mostly do what you do (which is to wear what's approprate to what we're doing), right? Besides, I couldn't afford to dress all in Kapital even if I wanted to...!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kapital have just released their S/S 2020 collection. Take a look:

I have to say, I am a bit shocked. Have Kapital jumped the shark here? At first glance, not just the presentation but the clothes themselves seem to be playing with stereotypes. There is a kind of faux-Chinese thing going on, with Coolie hats and kung-fu jackets, which at least in the presentation looks to be more than a bit well, racist. Now, people in America may not know or care ('all look same' etc.) but there is massive tension between Japan and China right now, especially over Japan's refusal to fully acknowledge its dark deeds in China in the first half of the C20th, and Chinese people are really looked down on in Japanese society and often seriously discriminated against. I'm not sure this collection really speaks of 'respect.'

I am disappointed.

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
Facts. I didn't even look at the lookbook after seeing their previews on their IGs. Definitely feel like this is a step in the wrong direction for them and I'm echoing your sentiments on the (not even subtle) racist tone of these pieces. I'll stick to their older, bohemian-leaning pieces that pop up on Y!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facts. I didn't even look at the lookbook after seeing their previews on their IGs. Definitely feel like this is a step in the wrong direction for them and I'm echoing your sentiments on the (not even subtle) racist tone of these pieces. I'll stick to their older, bohemian-leaning pieces that pop up on Y!

Is anyone reacting critically to this on IG? (I'm not and never will be an IGer).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics