1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ManofKent, Nov 10, 2015.

1. maregmareg

maregmareg Well-Known Member

I feel like buying my 3rd ring coat - katsuragi cotton is more like spring or fall weight fabric?

2. shopcanoeclub

shopcanoeclub Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

@maregmareg do you have any in that longer length?

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

thems were $30 in japan. just gotta fly out there :)

4. maregmareg

nah, I just have regular length melton wool, and denim ones - but the denim one is a slight bit longer than wool one, maybe it's just how the fabric drapes. My favourite piece of clothing of all time btw.
    Thinking about katsuragi cotton one in the same length but would love to hear some details about the fabric.

5. Coldsnap

Speaking of Ring Coat.. anyone tried out how they take the rain? The cotton versions.. I have my trusty Barbour coat with hood, but I'm traveling and would like to downsize to one coat. I like the Ring coat way better, but damn can the Barbour take a downpour. Not like I hangout in the rain often, but I sometimes have to walk 15 minutes through a shower dodging under buildings.

Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 2.17.56 AM.png

6. maregmareg

I remember there were some oil cloth ring coats back in the day, so my bet is that maybe those would have some level of water resistancy? Might be a struggle to find one though.

7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Distinguished Member

@Coldsnap Japan: exactly.

cotton Ring Coat in rain: I don't think you're going to get much performance out of it. I mean if it's not raining on you for long, OK, it will separate you from the rain while it absorbs water. but that's it. I'd say, you're traveling, bring the gear that does the job.

8. matty long legs

matty long legs Distinguished Member

Kapital is new to me. What do I have here?

2EDA30C9-B5C5-449C-809A-9572842725D6.jpeg

D2CEBBE5-BF3E-4EBE-A80A-3CC62A33713E.jpeg

9. pgrim91

pgrim91 Member

10. winston86dit

winston86dit Distinguished Member

Yea, that's a nice jacket. There's various colors of that jacket around.

11. masshi

masshi Distinguished Member

hey, guys, looking into getting a ring coat and had some questions:

- at 5'8, ~130, i'm assuming i'm a size 0? or would i maybe be a 1 (since japanese brands sometimes run small)?

- is buying from kapital's web shop directly (through something like zenmarket) the cheapest way to go about getting one?

- i can't decide between either ripstop or katsuragi cotton (both in khaki) - do you guys have any suggestions?

leaning towards the katsuragi, but am i missing something with the ripstop? or is it just complete personal preference?

- so these are both listed as "khaki" (top ripstop, bottom katsuragi), but the colors are completely different:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is this just due to lighting, or is that how they really look in person (will probably go with the katsuragi if the latter)?

12. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

With your height u probably will need a 1 if not 2, otherwise the sleeves will be too short

13. Coldsnap

5'7" 160lbs and the guy at Kapital guided me to a size 3. I was thinking size 2, but real glad I had the chance to try on in store.

14. maregmareg

Are you guys talking about katsuragi cotton version? Is it somehow smaller than other fabrics?
    I'm 6'0, 160 lbs, got size 2 in both denim and wool ring coats and both are very loose, with back length right below the butt. Tried size 3 in denim at Kapital store and it was so huge, even for how a ring coat should fit.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Personally would buy from a domestic retailer just for the option to return.

FWIW, I'm 5'10" and a 37" chest. I took a size 2 (and am a size 2 pretty much across the board).