• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9f2fb414-cbac-4e9a-b47b-674273472ec1-jpeg.1106219

So a 2 in this thing is available — should I get it? What do y'all think a solid price for it would be? Honestly, I probably wouldn't pay the $750 or whatever that the guy paid for the size 3.

It looks difference from other ring coats which I like (even just in terms of the detailing) and it seems like a fun piece to wear around. One of my favorite things about Kapital is the hand-made design aspects... shirts with hand embroidery, jackets with handsewn patches, hand painted ring coats, and since I don't have any, I think this would be a great piece. Honestly wouldn't seem that hard to style imo, just earth tones and boots which I already wear a ton of.

Price is the only thing holding me back for such a niche product, idk.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ring coat sizing is all about how you want it to fit in length (biggest being sleeve length). A 2 fits my sleeves very well (no bunching in the storm cuffs) at 5'9".

One thing to note too is that with product pics, the front makes the coat look longer than it is — that's mostly because of the way it drapes. The back, imo, is where sizing down to size 1 starts to look a little weird if it gets too short.

GENERALLY (for oversized "intended" look) -
1 ring coat is women's, short and skinny guys
2 US size small to medium or if you're around 5'9"ish
3 taller guys, bigg dudes

That sad, plenty of dudes have sized down and are very happy.

This is the best summary advice I have read.

It's worth also remembering that there are different lengths of Ring Coats available - most people are talking about the jacket version when they say 'Ring Coat' but there is also a long / full-length version available (which is what I have).

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
Would you ring coat experts mind sharing in the wild pics for those of us on the fence? I’ve been thinking about grabbing a navy or olive ring coat for two years and always worry I won’t be able to pull it off as a 44 year old dad of a preteen. That said, I wear the hell out of my century denim and compressed wool scarves, so I’m hoping you guys can encourage me. Just not sure how a ring coat will play with the sea of Patagonia jackets here in Princeton, NJ.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you ring coat experts mind sharing in the wild pics for those of us on the fence? I’ve been thinking about grabbing a navy or olive ring coat for two years and always worry I won’t be able to pull it off as a 44 year old dad of a preteen. That said, I wear the hell out of my century denim and compressed wool scarves, so I’m hoping you guys can encourage me. Just not sure how a ring coat will play with the sea of Patagonia jackets here in Princeton, NJ.

It honestly doesn't look too wild, especially in conservative colors. I live in Pittsburgh and was worried that it'd be weird. Guess what? Nobody cared. Then I saw another guy wearing a ring coat. Then my friend got one. Then a store here started stocking them (shoutout Vestis). It's all good.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So a 2 in this thing is available — should I get it? What do y'all think a solid price for it would be? Honestly, I probably wouldn't pay the $750 or whatever that the guy paid for the size 3.

It looks difference from other ring coats which I like (even just in terms of the detailing) and it seems like a fun piece to wear around. One of my favorite things about Kapital is the hand-made design aspects... shirts with hand embroidery, jackets with handsewn patches, hand painted ring coats, and since I don't have any, I think this would be a great piece. Honestly wouldn't seem that hard to style imo, just earth tones and boots which I already wear a ton of.

You should definitely get this. What to pay is a personal decision.

I don’t own a Ring Jacket. Almost pulled the trigger a few years ago when BiG stocked them. I would prefer the long version, but have not run across any recent US stockists.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This photo of @Gus looks pretty good, IMO. It's just him trying the jacket in a store. I think he'd probably wear a different shirt and pair of shoes if he were actually wearing this as part of his day's outfit, but you can see how the coat comes together.

It's not a conservative coat, by any means, but I also don't think it's too hard to pull off. Jeans and boots get you half way there. Top can be a chunky sweater or even a gray sweatshirt.

1000.jpeg

@KamoteJoe also wears it really well, some outfits are more conservative than others

image12.png
image8.png

I thought that was the best piece in the Grailed sale. The only thing that would hold me back is the color. A really light cream color like that could be hard to wear, but maybe if you have dark brown pants? Could go well.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
@Gus you look great in that. Hell, almost making me wanna go str8 cop mode.

Reactions: Gus

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the ring coat pics guys! I might have been overthinking it; I now see that the ring coat is not at all hard-to-pair. Thanks for reminding me about Kamtoe and Gerry’s pairings. I’ve plaigiarized many of their fits :)

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the ring coat pics guys! I might have been overthinking it; I now see that the ring coat is not at all hard-to-pair. Thanks for reminding me about Kamtoe and Gerry’s pairings. I’ve plaigiarized many of their fits :)

Yeah just don't think too much about it. At the end of the day, it's an oversized military inspired jacket. You'll look fine — Kapital as a brand is really friendly to older dudes, as well.

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
Yeah just don't think too much about it. At the end of the day, it's an oversized military inspired jacket. You'll look fine — Kapital as a brand is really friendly to older dudes, as well.
Thanks for the encouragement, G. I think you’re right. It seems so much more wearable when I look at the ring coat as a hybrid of an m-65 and a peacoat, both of which I have been un-self conscious about wearing. Now I need to figure out whether to go navy wool or olive twill...

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
Thanks, Gus. I was thinking about safe basics like a grey Real McCoy sweatshirt or an Inis Meain tunic with slubby Japanese denim. Maybe my gold foil Kapital compresses wool scarf if it continues to be cold here.

I may need a tutorial on how to mix patterned shirts with Century Denim :)

Quick random thought: I wanted to encourage folks to pick up the indigo fleecy farm jacket from Canoe Club. It’s a cozy, versatile piece that isn’t sure if it’s a sweatshirt or an EG baker jacket. Destined to fade nicely and easily pairs with lots of stuff, including henleys of a plain white tee. And the Canoe Club folks are awesome and likely to ship fast!

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ring coat is the easiest thing to wear.. u can even do sneakers or sports shoes (which my wife did and it’ll still look fine)

Just don’t like wear it with formal tailored clothing and u shd be fine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads