Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ManofKent, Nov 10, 2015.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

One last pic from Friday night's 3 year Anniversary party at Standard & Strange in Oakland. Neil (one of the co-founders) wearing a Kapital wabi-sabi inspired chore jacket. The numerous snaps, unusual pocket placement all allow you to play around with a variety of asymetrical looks.

If you are interested in any of S&S's Kapital products, I don't believe they are on their website. I seem to recall them saying that Kapital and a few other niche brands don't allow retailers to show products online for a year or so. (And in some cases more). SO if you are looking for something you might give them a call.

[​IMG]

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Three catalogues thudded through the door today - 'Colorado Hippies', 'Sant Domingo Burning Man' and ' Denim men Love Cats'. They're definitely worth picking up if you don't mind the shipping costs - wonderful photography.

3. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

Standard & Strange definitely has some Kapital on their webshop, but yeah not everything that's in the store. I actually randomly ended up at the shop the weekend before last while on a trip to the Bay Area, I was really impressed. I was mainly there because I was looking for a Rogue Territory stockist, but I did take a look at their Kapital stock and the ring coat is super nice. If I'd had more money to blow I definitely would've kopped.

4. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've not tried one, but I think the long version probably isn't dissimilar to a standard Levi's version with the same pit to pit, whilst the standard version is more a cropped women's version. The sizing tag is done by the actual pit to pit, rather than a 'to fit' sizing so the Kapital 44 is a little smaller than a Levi's Large which pretty much comes in at 45" p2p.

6. Austo

Austo Active Member

I briefly had the Long version of the century denim trucker, I sized too small but it was still super cropped and very slim, hits right at/slightly above belt line. The short version is even more cropped and fits a bit boxier

7. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

Thanks for the advice MoK, Austo.

May try out the regular denim version, I like the idea of a Lee style jacket in more interesting denim than an actual Lee, and options are more limited than for Levi's repros. Been looking at too many photos of 70s Dennis Hopper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I find the sizing on the Kapital web site to be very accurate - it's just the tagged sizes that can be misleading - think reverse vanity sizing. Their regular denim is nice stuff - I've got a pair of Cisco Jeans in the 14oz that I'm breaking in and the onewash is starting to produce nice fades.

Great photos - I'm expecting a full-on recreation for WAYWT.

9. GusW

Standard & Strange is having a blowout garage sale of leftover inventory and they have a few Kapital pieces. It is in-store only.

S&S will be issuing 25% off coupons to their mailing list and Styleforum members. I don't know if there is anything to restrict using it on Kapital or not, but you might want to sign up for their mailing list right now in case it does apply to Kapital. That would be a very nice savings.

10. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

[​IMG]

Picked up this wool peacoat as my first kapital piece. Fits more like a sweater than a coat but I'm in love with this thing, definitely more kapital to come in the future. Sorry for shitty low light bathroom pic

11. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

To anyone who owns or has experience with the Ring Jacket, what size would you recommend for someone that typically wears a 42R coat? Size 2 or 3?

12. GusW

Look at post #33 and #31

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I'm between a 42 and 44 depending on cut and have ordered the Ring Coat (longer but can be poppered up) in a size 3. I looked at the size 2 measurements of the jackets and thought I might just get away with a 2, but I think they're a piece that really needs to be sized generously. Whether I've made the right decision I don't know as it's still on the way from Japan...

14. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Thanks, GusW.

MoK, you are likely a 3, from what I can tell. I may be in between a 2 and 3 so not sure how to go. You are typically an XL in EG outerwear? I am a Large in most EG pieces, except the snug fitting Andovers, etc.

If you proxied from Japan, can you please PM me telling me how you did it, whom you used, etc. Thanks!

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Yes typically an XL in EG, but occasionally a Large.

I used Zenmarket.jp - you simply post the url from the Kapital.Jp store in, give colour and size details, they confirm with you, you pay (they charge 300 yen for the service and internal shipping fees are around 700-800 yen, so you're talking about 9USD fees + which ever shipping method you want (you've got a choice of shipping services and they'll weigh and give you the costs). Very straightforward to use.