• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It's his most technically complex and eclectic production to date, and most all of it sticks. That's basically it.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Can I get any rationale describing why this is either a good or bad album? God damn.
This album is a mix of 808s and Graduation, which are my personal 2 favorites, the latter being my favorite of all of his albums. I honestly think he put his best effort in MBDTF. Everything fits perfectly except for Monster (and possibly So Appalled). He probably put those 2 to show off the features. Anyhow, if you knock out those 2, this would be a flawless album. I really enjoy All of the Lights interlude and Devil in a New Dress, in which Rick Ross did well. PS - I shouldn't have to say anything about Blame Game. That song is perfect all around.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
I disagree with this. Listening to the tracks ahead of time gave me a chance to warm up to them. I ended up liking some of the songs that I didn't really enjoy so much through GOOD Friday. They also gave an early feel for what the album was going to be like. Also, even though I heard Power over a month ago, I still think it is a good song that has lasting appeal.

This. I truly believe this was a stoke of genius. He got free consumer data and packaged it as G.O.O.D.will. If you notice, the album version of Runaway has the MPC in it. I think that's a direct result of fans going crazy for it at the MTV awards. He also found out that "See Me Now" wasn't going to be a hit (not technically a G.O.O.D. Friday, but an early song)

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
This album is a mix of 808s and Graduation, which are my personal 2 favorites, the latter being my favorite of all of his albums.

I honestly think he put his best effort in MBDTF. Everything fits perfectly except for Monster (and possibly So Appalled). He probably put those 2 to show off the features. Anyhow, if you knock out those 2, this would be a flawless album.

I really enjoy All of the Lights interlude and Devil in a New Dress, in which Rick Ross did well.

PS - I shouldn't have to say anything about Blame Game. That song is perfect all around.

same thing with See Me Now. can't have Jay and Beyonce features and have them not making an album.

pruppert

Reaction score
Blame game is definitely my favorite track on the album. Kanye singing on it threw me off at first, since he he brought John Legend in, but after the verses/their content, it fits too well. It seems odd, but works better than having someone else singing it. Dark Fantasy is the other standout for me.

Not sure how I feel about most of the songs being released prior to the album's release. I'm most excited about those that are new. Whether that is because of their newness or their quality i don't know.

My favorite album from Kanye lyrically, but I don't think I'm as in to it as College Dropout. But, I may not be in to rap music as much as I was when that came out.

The variety in the instrumentals/beats, and the breaks in the introductions/hooks/endings is what makes this album. Looped beats are old news. I think this may need a headphone listen to appreciate in full.

BossTweed

Reaction score
I think it's easily his best album. I mean, the first 6 tracks are all incredible, and then So Appalled is good after a little getting used to. The rest of the album is solid. It was the soundtrack to my last weekend and will likely be this weekend's as well.

I think the Pitchfork 10 is a bit much, but this really is the best hip-hop/pop album I've heard in years.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I was also lol'ing at the perfect 10 Pitchfork rating.

I definitely agree that it's one of the better albums I've heard in years. I'd give it a solid 9.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Appalled is actually one of my favorite tracks on there. The production for it is one of the best at capturing that aura of despair that's part of the album's backbone.

I'm glad "See Me Now" didn't make the cut. It's a fun track with Kanye's sillier-than-usual rhymes and the bass-thudding beat. But it feels completely out of place with the album proper. I've got the song added to my burned copy of MBDTF and it seems so incongruous with core themes the rest of the album features.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Come on, dawg. If you fall on the concrete, that's yo ass fault.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you pass on a 'Kan beat, that's your last fault.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked College Dropout and Late Registration for some of the premier tracks on there, but this one is definitely solid overall. I'm probably more of a hits collection person.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard there's a lyric "too many Urkels on your team that's why ya wins low". That alone makes me interested to at least hear the album.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listening to it sober for the first time. Will report back.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeezy reupholstered my *****.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tumblr_lc3e103Ab01qb90glo1_500.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics