• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kangaroo...not for the faint of heart

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To dispel the notion that kangaroo is suitable only for football boots, I offer the following. All of these are dress boots which crease and shine as well as calf. (sorry for the poor quality of some photos)
red_roo.jpg
bone_filigree.jpg
m_graw_fw_sm.jpg
randees_opera%20%28800%29.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the Cowboy down under.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
For the Cowboy down under.
Maybe. But all of these were made for customers right here in the USA. The first pair was made for a very wealthy Virginian (DC suburbanite?)...one of about nine pairs...who is also a devotee of Lobbs St. James and a world traveler. The second pair was made for the wife of a very successful stockbroker, in LA as I recall. But I have a similar pair I am making now...with a navy alligator foot and bone and navy kangaroo filigree tops...for an architect who remodels and restores old castles in Brussels. The third for the wife of a wealthy venture capitalist from Canada. And the last pair was made by my wife for herself.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
when cooked right, kangroo is amazing.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
when cooked right, kangroo is amazing.

Yep and it seems the hide, when prepared right, makes amazing boots.

DWFII, you say that it 'creases like calf' or something to that effect. May I ask, does kangaroo have a reputation for being too soft a leather and creasing very easily and not holding its shape well?

jacnyr

Reaction score
I've been told that kangaroo is a VERY comfortable leather.

well-kept

Reaction score
DWF,
How do you rate the advantages of kangaroo over more common upper leathers?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My old cycling shoes were made from kangaroo.

(DW, I have been tardy getting back to you...my apologies. Time as flown by.)

- B

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Yep and it seems the hide, when prepared right, makes amazing boots. DWFII, you say that it 'creases like calf' or something to that effect. May I ask, does kangaroo have a reputation for being too soft a leather and creasing very easily and not holding its shape well?
Reputations are relative--one guy buys a shoe/boot made of a kangaroo tannage that is soft...deliberately so...and that's what he thinks all kangaroo is like. I've seen Italian tanned/aniline finished kangaroo that would put the best calf to shame. And it was no softer nor firmer than calf. I've seen some veg 'roo that was very firm...sometimes we use a naked veg roo for linings. And I've seen some kangaroo...in that case it was Aussie tanned...that was a little too stretchy for my tastes. The Italian kangaroo mentioned above held its shape extremely well...as does the veg roo.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
DWF, How do you rate the advantages of kangaroo over more common upper leathers?
I like working with 'roo. It is ounce for ounce (leather is graded for thickness in ounces), the strongest leather with regard to tensile strength (tear resistance) known to man. That said, it is thin. A three ounce roo...1.19mm...would be on the heavy side of average. Part of its appeal, as far as comfort is concerned, is that it is lightweight. One other thing about 'roo...it tends to have a very dense corium--grainside. Virtually no hair follicles at all. I noticed a pair of boots in another thread that looked like goat to me--presumably they were calf (I can't imagine a top shelf man's boot being made of goat)...but the pores were really evident--like an old woman with too much pancake on her face. Roo is dead smooth. As a maker the only downside is that roos are not farmed and in the wild they fight so sometimes you get scars that have to be cut around or even whole hides that are unusable because the prime leather is scarred.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My old cycling shoes were made from kangaroo. (DW, I have been tardy getting back to you...my apologies. Time as flown by.) - B
No problem.

well-kept

Reaction score
Neglected to add... your examples look to be of amazing quality in design and construction.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Neglected to add... your examples look to be of amazing quality in design and construction.
Thanks. I know boots don't get a lot of love here but the main point was about kangaroo's suitability for dress footwear, not styling. If the workmanship and design sensibilities that we have developed over the last 4 decades comes through, well, that's a bonus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads