• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fliegerguy

Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was anyone else there yesterday during the deluge?
20190506_091340.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate how new pocket squares that are still creased can't avoid looking folded. also i hate that for whatever reason, I can't really get my pocket squares to look any other way than pulling it up slightly outta the pocket. ALSO I HATE MY INABILITY TO GET A GOOD KNOT/DIMPLE ON THE REG.
20190509_103458.jpg

aaronj15

Reaction score
Can someone school me on the difference between regular Oxford and pinpoint Oxford?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone school me on the difference between regular Oxford and pinpoint Oxford?

Pinpoint is actually a completely different fabric than oxford cloth. Much lighter, maybe even lighter than broadcloth. Pinpoint oxford usually does the alternating color/white pattern like an oxford cloth so it looks similar but is more of a summer material.

aaronj15

Reaction score
Pinpoint is actually a completely different fabric than oxford cloth. Much lighter, maybe even lighter than broadcloth. Pinpoint oxford usually does the alternating color/white pattern like an oxford cloth so it looks similar but is more of a summer material.
Thanks.

Kamakura’s sizing is so odd. No idea why longer sleeve lengths aren’t available for bigger neck sizes

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With apologies to Boy George:

KAMA-KAMA-KAMA-KAMA-KAMA-KAMA-KAMAKAMUUUUURRRRRAAAAAAAAAA! YOU DRESS ME UUUUUUUP!
20190606_091754.jpg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an email saying that Sciolto shirts will be available for MTM starting June 7. I know someone here was saying that they were frustrated that these shirts weren't available in their preferred fit.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got an email saying that Sciolto shirts will be available for MTM starting June 7. I know someone here was saying that they were frustrated that these shirts weren't available in their preferred fit.

That was me, and I just went and got some MTM shirts last week! talk about bad timing haha.

Whatever, I'd like to try one OTR first anyways to make sure I like it.

heybear

Reaction score
With leno and linen shirts, what's the recommendation for sizing? I wear a Tokyo slim in dress shirts, and the fit is perfect, but I wouldn't want it any slimmer. I'm wondering if shrinkage is more likely to be an issue with linen or leno. When it's hot I guess I'd prefer it slightly too large than slightly too small.

Ahree

Reaction score
With leno and linen shirts, what's the recommendation for sizing? I wear a Tokyo slim in dress shirts, and the fit is perfect, but I wouldn't want it any slimmer. I'm wondering if shrinkage is more likely to be an issue with linen or leno. When it's hot I guess I'd prefer it slightly too large than slightly too small.
I don't know whether it's laundry shrinkage or just the vagaries of the manufacturing process, but the Tokyo slim leno shirt seems a shade more form fitting than their regular fabrics. You may be onto something here in sizing half a size up for leno.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this response is a bit misleading.

PP is simply a more refined tighter/smoother weaved version of oxford cloth, and they are very much related. Lighter than broadcloth?...not usually.

heybear

Reaction score
I don't know whether it's laundry shrinkage or just the vagaries of the manufacturing process, but the Tokyo slim leno shirt seems a shade more form fitting than their regular fabrics. You may be onto something here in sizing half a size up for leno.

Do you find the leno more clingy, like a knit? I’ve never felt it in person.

Ahree

Reaction score
Do you find the leno more clingy, like a knit? I’ve never felt it in person.
Each manufacturer has a slightly different leno texture. Proper Cloth is surprisingly stiff and rough, though obviously airy. Kamakura is more refined and softer, but not delicate nor clingy nor silky. I think you're asking if it is like pique in a polo shirt, and the answer is "not overly." It has more structure. By the way, since its airiness makes it pretty transparent, you may want to wear a dark or flesh colored undershirt underneath. I would go tieless with leno as the collar is soft and tends to collapse. Some Kamakura leno shirts can't accommodate ties by design, of course.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads