• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is arriving on tomorrow and i cannot wait

shortlefty

Reaction score
Thoughts on traveler shirts? From the description, seems like they're able to take some abuse? I've had several blowouts recently so need something that is more resilient to constant elbow rub

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's shrinkage on the normal Oxford cloth shirts in the neck?

I just got a Leno "sciolto" shirt in a neck size smaller than I assumed would fit me best, and it fits fantastically, including in the neck (not that I'm buttoning it to wear with a tie or anything). But it's obviously very different in fabric, and maybe the collar lining is lighter. If I could stick with this size for future OCBDs, I'd be happy because a size up for neck would make everything else just a bit more loosey-goosey. Thanks in advance.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's shrinkage on the normal Oxford cloth shirts in the neck?

I just got a Leno "sciolto" shirt in a neck size smaller than I assumed would fit me best, and it fits fantastically, including in the neck (not that I'm buttoning it to wear with a tie or anything). But it's obviously very different in fabric, and maybe the collar lining is lighter. If I could stick with this size for future OCBDs, I'd be happy because a size up for neck would make everything else just a bit more loosey-goosey. Thanks in advance.
I have 2 selvedge Oxford shirts in the sciolto collar. Cold wash and spin in the washing machine, then hang dry. Didn't see much shrinkage. I recall Kamakura reps saying max 3% shrinkage.

I used the dryer on a sport OCBD, and a bit more noticeable shrinkage but didn't affect anything for me. If the collar is on the tighter side, then it's probably a good idea to size up.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash mine in cold and line dry, very minimal shrinkage regardless of the weave. The OCBDs have held up fine.

As for the blow outs mentioned above, I’ve honestly never experienced this and I’ve been a kamakura customer for about 7 years.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 selvedge Oxford shirts in the sciolto collar.

how do you like the sciolto collar? I can’t seem to find any with that collar in my size. I like the look and as someone who often goes without a tie, I really like the roll.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you like the sciolto collar? I can’t seem to find any with that collar in my size. I like the look and as someone who often goes without a tie, I really like the roll.
It's pretty fun to wear since it stands up really well. The inside of the placket is kind of funky to me since it differs from a normal shirt. In the second pic, you see the lining that keeps the shape of the collar, and how the placket is just there. Not sure how to describe it but it's a weird feeling for me to have a flap inside my shirt ?
kam.jpg kam2.jpg

shortlefty

Reaction score
Elbow blowouts happen to people with big arms and people who rest/move their arms on desks a lot.

I blow through all shirts pretty fast. Got a guy who can repair them which normally buys me another few months.

How much does it usually cost to repair them? Any chance of me just picking up super basic stitching and doing it myself or is it a more complicated process?

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does it usually cost to repair them? Any chance of me just picking up super basic stitching and doing it myself or is it a more complicated process?

Not sure - I think he just stitches a zig zag pattern over the tear. It certainly isn't a professional job. $10 is what I pay for it I think.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested to try out Francese and Sciolto collars. Anyone knows how they differ specifically?
Sciolto was designed to be worn open and retain its shape. See above picture I posted about Sciolto collar construction. Francese is just a more Italian spread collar. They are exactly the same when buttoned up.

Edit: Fyi, I have both.

kid1002

Reaction score
I have 2 selvedge Oxford shirts in the sciolto collar. Cold wash and spin in the washing machine, then hang dry. Didn't see much shrinkage. I recall Kamakura reps saying max 3% shrinkage.

I used the dryer on a sport OCBD, and a bit more noticeable shrinkage but didn't affect anything for me. If the collar is on the tighter side, then it's probably a good idea to size up.

I second this. I have 5 Sport series OCBDs, and I wasn't able to notice drastic shrinkage in the collars. I did feel like all the sleeves shortened 1.5~2cm after machine washing, however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads