1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

well it's not so much that a longer collar doesn't make sense on a smaller guy, it's that a larger guy can't get a shirt with the longer collar (or doesn't have ape-arms like their NYSF sizing suggests they think we all have). Just selling in neck/sleeve sizes would alleviate it, but their sizing scheme is frustratingly deficient for those in between

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Anybody else get this email?

Dear Loyal Customer,

Thank you for your continued support of Kamakura Shirts.
    The Online Store is now in its second year and this has only been made possible by the consistent and overwhelming support of our customers.

As members of our Online Store, we would like to reveal to you before anyone else that we will be releasing a brand new website in September. The website will have an improved search function, personal account system, and a payment system that will allow credit cards. Overall, our store will be much easier to navigate.

To prepare for this new website, the Global Online Store will be closed from August 26th until early September. This means orders cannot be placed after 10 a.m. (Japan Time) on August 26th. The website will be active again in September.

When the new website becomes active, we kindly ask that you sign up again as the new 'My Account' system will be completely different to the current one. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Thank you once again for choosing Kamakura Shirts and we hope you enjoy shopping at the new Online Store!

Sincerely,
    Kamakura Shirts
    http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Yeah, I got it too.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yes, now where is my discount code?

5. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

Hopefully they've got some OCBD restocks to go along with their new site.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Amen, brother!

7. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

After having read a fair bit on Kamakura here and elsewhere, I stopped by today along with my wife. It's an interesting story of how the Madison Ave. store first won me over and then lost me as a customer.

I had a wonderful experience from the moment I stepped in. I was attended to carefully by a female sales associate (I didn't catch her name), who took my measurements, understood what I wanted in terms of fit, and helped me get two oxford button-downs in the colors I wanted. From first to last, fully professional, alert, and fast service. She waited outside as I tried on shirts, asked me how they felt, made suggestions, etc. It was fantastic.

My wife, who was excited to see that they had a smaller women's line, had a dramatically different experience. Although we entered the store together (and were obviously a couple), she basically got a bizarre cold shoulder from the same associate. She asked to try on a top, which the SA somewhat curtly showed her and then more or less left her alone. She tried it out, came out, was not attended to by the SA. She had to hang it back up herself. The SA simply seemed to have forgotten all about her, not asking if it fit, or if she liked it, or other options...just nothing at all. As much as I was attended to, she seemed to not exist. The store was not at all very busy; it was just us and one or two other customers.

Now, we've shopped at a wide range of places from consignment stores to Bergdorf's, Rag & Bone, Saks, etc. I learnt of my wife's experience after we left the store since she didn't wish to cause a scene. I have to say I remain very perplexed over the dramatic difference in customer service. I can say that my wife is extremely approachable and basically has never had people problems, so...this was all very irksome and disappointing.

I love the shirts. And I will likely buy more, but it won't be from the Madison Ave. store.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Sharing the response I received from kamakura about the collar length disparity.

What I wrote:

Their response:

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone ever had their shirts (I wear Tokyo Slim Fit) taken in at the waist from the side seam? For some of my shirts, the placket gap is a bit annoying...

10. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Here in Cincinnati is an annual beer fest and comedy week called Brew Ha-Ha at Sawyer Park on the river, and my bro, his wife and I went last night. Seeing as the weather was in the 90sF with literally 140% humidity, we both sported the lightest weight shirts we could—him madras (Sid Mashburn), me linen (Kamakura's cut-away stripy shirt, which, incidentally, belongs to him). It didn't help—just standing around you soaked through.

I feel like the collar is a bit droopy and falls low on the neck. The fit is also baggy, though for linen that's acceptable—frankly just sewing in darts to give it some shape is probably what I'd do if it were my shirt (since sizing down wouldn't be an option bc the sleeves would be too short on the next size down).

Anyway, pic if you're interested. I dig the shirt, just not sure if the fit would make it worth $100 for me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  11. Louys

Louys Senior member

Yeah that looks pretty baggy for a Kamakura, I wish they would offer linen in as many sizes as they do other shirts

12. SmellBlind

SmellBlind Active Member

Couldn't agree more.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

did the linen dry quickly?

14. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

So I'm not sure whats going on, I bought 5 or 6 Kamakura dress shirts last fall/winter and just bought another 6 last month. Now after two washes on these shirts I can say that the new batch is much baggier and the sleeves much longer. They're supposed to be the same size 15 32.33 sadly all of them fit much larger than what I previously purchased.

Anyone with a similar experience with the dress shirts?

15. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Not so much. I feel like it's a myth that linen dries quickly; it doesn't stick to you but whenever I wash my shirts and hang them to dry, even my Oxfords dry a bit faster than linen, haha.

16. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

What's a placket gap?

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

When you sit and the placket between two button opens up?

18. bradp

bradp Senior member

anyone have bubbling/creasing on the non-OCBDs?

Edit: I'm referring to my dobby cutaway

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  19. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm about to order some but this makes me concerned...

20. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@gettoasty

How did the new Tokyo slims fit relative to the last design?