1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Evolve

Evolve Senior Member

Just keep in mind that Luxire can replicate any collar you show them, or you can specify details such as point length, band height, tie space, etc. They can do fused or unfused, lined or unlined, soft, stiff, whatever you want. There really are no limits and they follow instructions to a T. You don't have to choose from their standard collars. But perhaps you already knew that.

+1. Their odd sizing is why I've yet to purchase a Kamakura shirt. Otherwise, they seem great.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

Sorry that you guys don't like the shirts, the TKSF fits me great! I hope they don't tweak the sizing, I just found my proper size granted took only 2 tries.

I don't like BB... bad experience with the shirting, and the customer service in-store. Stuck up SA... sounds like Kamakura staff in NY is very friendly :foo:

3. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

Ahhh, no I did not. Their awful web design threw me off, lol. Thanks for the info

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

Their website does not reflect their name. I'd love to see a more elegant website - everything on the website down to their logo feels more walmart than kiton. Maybe it is their Made in India foundation.

5. Evolve

Evolve Senior Member

Agreed, Luxire's website is subpar. They've acknowledged this and say that a complete revamp is coming soon, and will be much more user friendly.

6. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

gettoasty, do you happen to have the actual measurements of the 16-35 tokyo slim fit? thanks.

7. gettoasty

No, sorry

8. Ironist

Ironist Distinguished Member

Wow, just received my tokyo slim and tokyo classic fit today and I must say I am impressed. 3 days free shipping from Japan to the middle of the US. Amazes me how international shipping is faster than shipping USPS within the states. Both of them fit right out of the box. The classic isn't huge by any means and the slim isn't too tight. A 15 tokyo classic is slimmer than a 15 1/2 ESF BB OCBD. Even the sleeves fit me almost perfectly (Yes, I'm one of those T-Rex arms you guys all complain about :p). Hooray for asian fits! Definitely buying more. I'd post pictures of both but people usually respond negatively unless I take the time to post proper fit pics.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

9. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior Member

Might have been asked before (even by me :ember:), but will the Tokyo Slim Fits shrink?

10. gettoasty

If you wash your clothes there is going to be shrinking. Otherwise, take it to the dry cleaners

11. Evolve

Evolve Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. Needless to say, it depends on the fabric and how you wash. Except socks, underwear, and some t-shirts, I wash everything on cold and hang dry. Shrinkage is usually so minimal that it's not noticeable. easy_golfing's question is a reasonable one. That said, I don't own any Kamakura shirts so I can't address the question.

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I haven't tried cold washing my Kamakura shirt, but with the warm wash and hot dry it has shrunk a little (as I wanted it to).

13. sebastianwr

sebastianwr Member

Can't see any significant shrinkingon a broadcloth when washed at 30° C (almost cold).

Concerning the sizing: I noticed that the Tokyo Slim Fit I have pulls a bit in the chest area. If I bend my shoulders a little, it doesn't. Compared the shirt with a Cottonwork MTM and noticed that there the back width is greater than chest width, thus the shirt is cut for rather sloped shoulders that I don't have. Too bad because the shirt is near perfect.

14. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior Member

Hmmm thanks for the response guys. I'm in between the 14.5 and 15 in the Tokyo Slim Fit. Should I go with the 15 and give it a warm wash?

15. Ironist

Ironist Distinguished Member

Just ordered three linen shirts from Kamakura. Seems to be slightly bigger in the waist than my tokyo slims but with the same collar / sleeves (lucky!). Might order another two once I get these.