1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sebastianwr

sebastianwr Member

Agree. Sleeves and cuffs are quite wide. But the cuff button is far to the edge of the cuff, so it won't look awkward after moving it, I'd say.
    Maybe I'm gonna let my tailor slim the sleeves if it's not too expensive.

Fabric and overall quality are superb. If the sleeves weren't that wide, it would be the perfect shirt for me.

2. garymyman

garymyman Senior Member

Really? I wear a Tokyo Classic Fit and have little girlish <6.5" wrists and they're perfect. My watch doesn't fit under the cuff, which is fine. Compared to BB Extra Slim, Polo, RLPL, and Ledburry, these cuffs are downright snug.

3. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Agree. I'm sure sleeve width varies from cut to cut.

4. SmellBlind

SmellBlind Active Member

Yeah I'd say it even looks somewhat strange with the button so close to the edge. The way the curves of the cuff cross should still look ok too. Agree on fabric, quality and fit; best I've tried.

My wrists are a little over 6 and I wear a NY Slim and I can just about slip my hand through the cuff buttoned. They are definitely bigger than the BB ESF I own. I have a Ledbury slim but don't recall the cuff sizing. That said, I prefer a snugger cuff.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

5. Turner

Turner Senior Member

Same here, I have a Tokyo Slim and a New York Knit and find the sleeves are somewhat big at the wrists and in the biceps area. I thought about slimming down the later at my tailor while increasing the back darts and moving the wrist buttons.

Can anybody comment at the linen shirts? Tokyo Slim fits me well in 16 / 35 and New York Knit in S (16 / 34½), but the linens are somewhat off in terms of collar and sleeve length. I mean, an size S collar but a size L sleeve lenght would be perfect. How much shrinkage did you experience with your linens? Did you size up from your regualar collar size? I do cold wash and air drying.

6. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior Member

If I cold wash and hang dry, will the OCBDs shrink?

7. believeland

believeland Member

Kamakura just put up a new page on their ties.

http://kamakurashirts.com/contents/ties/

Can some of the more informed posters ID the weavers that are white labeling these for Kamakura?

For $69, some of their selections might be a steal depending on the source.

8. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

Excited to try out Kamakura. I've been watching this thread for a few months and finally ordered the light blue XINJIANG COTTON OCBD: http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_556.html

In case there's anybody still on the fence, I will post my thoughts and comparisons to my other blue OCBDs from BB and Black Fleece. I wear extra slim fit in BB, but Kamakura's weird sizing doesn't have an appropriate neck/sleeve combination for me in either of their slim fits. Their Tokyo slim fit has short arms and their New York slim has monkey arm sleeve lengths (I wear 16.5/35—TKS only has 16.5/34 and NYS only has 16.5/36.5). So far, Black Fleece has my favorite OCBD in fit, neck and sleeve sizing (BB4 happens to fit very well), and quality. I hope Kamakura matches them because except for through my man Steve Smith, ain't nobody got time for $195 OCBDs.

9. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior Member

Breuer is the French maker. I can't speak to the others.

10. Simon4rings

Simon4rings Well-Known Member

Anyone has measurements for a size 16.5 Tokyo Slim or Tokyo Classic? I'm particular worried whether it will fit my gut. Thanks very much

11. sebastianwr

sebastianwr Member

The size guide on their store website is quite comprehensive, isn't it?

12. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

Does anyone have any further info as to why they've stopped stocking candy-striped OCBDs? And also as to why almost all OCBDs are out of stock on their website?

13. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Kamakura doesn't have stock shirts, rather have small batch runs of different fabrics. Clearly, staple items, or variations of them, are more frequently offered in these small batch runs.

This video describes their production model:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

14. Turner

Turner Senior Member

I was asking them a similar question a few days ago. They said in April would be a re-issue of the Vintage Oxford series of old and new fabrics.

15. arnathor

arnathor Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014