Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Yes.

Good quality and a very nice feel overall. Softer linen than other shirts I have, like from J. Crew (Irish Linen). I wore them a few times at the end of the summer during a some heat waves we had here in NYC and they were wonderful.

Sizing on the slim side. I'm size 15/32.333 (but really need a 32) and found the linen fit me slightly better in the sleeves. Extrapolating from there, I'm guessing they are going to fit pretty slim and on the smaller side of your standard S, M, L, etc.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

They definitely fit slim. Quite short tails, though--don't stay tucked as well as I might like.

I wear a 15.5/33 and the M fit me quite well.

3. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Important to note the short shirt length (so the shirt can be worn untucked, casually); I didn't have many problems, but would certainly prefer a longer length, since I never go untucked. When it comes down to it, S/M/L sizing is going not as precise and is going to work for some and not for others; as always, reference measurements. Never huts to size up when it comes to linen due to shrinkage and sleeves riding up once they become wrinkled, particularly around the joint, during the day.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Agreed on all points. It works great as a casual shirt, but I wear it less often with a tie due to the short length.

Obviously be careful sizing up if you want the neck to fit though. Less of a problem if wearing casually and not expecting to close the top button.

5. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I had to size up and the neck is too big for me (which is fine, since I wear it casually). The collar points are also quite short compared to their cotton shirts; I wouldn't say the collar is particularly tie friendly.

Agree with aravenel; works great as a casual shirt, which ultimately I believe is their intention.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

6. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I wore it with a suit and tie and it worked great for me so YMMV. The spread collar allows for both options.

7. forex

forex Senior member

Thanks guys, I am 16/34 and I think should go for L but neck on size L is huge so was little puzzled. I don't plan to wear a tie with linen shirts so it may work. Does it shrink with washes and how does it hold up over time?

8. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I'm 15.75/34.5 and went with the L. I thought the fit was nice for a linen shirt; I prefer to wear linen a little full. I cold wash and hang dry and didn't notice that much shrinkage. Most of the shrinkage you are going to get, and need to account for, is shrinkage due to wrinkling, particularly in the arms. The large wasn't that bad for me in this regard.

9. forex

forex Senior member

Thanks, this is better. I will try one of them and maybe get a few more for summer. Does it hold up well over time?

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I wore it about once a week last summer with no issues. I doubt you will have trouble with Kamakura.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Going to be ordering two shirts to try, but curious to know what were members' experiences in terms of shrinkage based on shirt composition.

In general, would a higher fabric count mean more shrinkage? Or the reversed?

Or is it the material i.e. 100% cotton v. 100% supima cotton v. 100% Xinjiang cotton

Or is it the fabric i.e. Dobby v. Broadcloth v. Twill v. Herringbone v. Royal Oxford v. Oxford v. Pinpoint Oxford

I am looking at the button downs currently. I'm either a 15 1/3 - 34 1/3 or 16 - 35 in T-S. Other cuts have arms too short/long (T-C and NY-S, respectively), or the body too wide (NY-C)

Here are some direct examples from Kamakura:

12. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Can anyone comment on the dobby fabric? Is it similar to the pique you would find on a polo shirt?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

13. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

I like the look of the shirt, that is just the regular spread collar, no?

14. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Hi folks,

Does anyone have fit pics of spread collar kamakura shirts? I am also curious about the styles they offer, they'd have a more traditional english spread i imagine, but do they offer something like a curved spread collar? And if not Kamakura, how might offer a decent curved spread (*not cutaway)? I like the ease of look a curved spread has.

15. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Interested in getting a few shirts but have some questions...

1) Any taxes / duties when ordering from the website?
    2) What is the shrinkage like on the shirts?