• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knit jackets, trousers, shirts...Once Kamakura makes the full transition to the US I will move up from Uniqlo. Both are from Japan
mwink[1].gif

I've asked multiple times at the NYC store about other products they sell in Japan. Sounds like they are sticking to shirts in NYC.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

I've asked multiple times at the NYC store about other products they sell in Japan. Sounds like they are sticking to shirts in NYC.

When I visited, I asked about their other products and they indicated that they had no plans of stocking any non-shirts/accessories pieces any time soon.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The store is pretty small and they probably don't have the space to stock many other products. They seem very accommodating though, I wonder would they special order any of the other items and wave the shipping costs? Anyone asked them yet?

Rusty

Reaction score
I asked an associate recently when they were going to start stocking jackets and was told that they cant find a tailor to partner with that will meet their price point. She said that finishing the sleeves on a blazer in Japan is approx $5, but they cant find a tailor in NY to do it for less than $20. The company has an extremely Japanese point of view about running a business especially around service and cost.

All of the clothes on the mannequin in the window are Kakmakura products (sports jacket, trousers, shoes).

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Killer wool ties at the NYC store and @$69 a real steal!

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked an associate recently when they were going to start stocking jackets and was told that they cant find a tailor to partner with that will meet their price point. She said that finishing the sleeves on a blazer in Japan is approx $5, but they cant find a tailor in NY to do it for less than $20. The company has an extremely Japanese point of view about running a business especially around service and cost.

All of the clothes on the mannequin in the window are Kakmakura products (sports jacket, trousers, shoes).

Did you ask him this vis-a-vis the cost of their MTM? Seems out of wack given the price points on the RTW shirts, other items, and this general stance.

Last edited:

Rusty

Reaction score
We were talking about the cardigans and belts and stuff that they had gotten in recently and I asked her if there were plans to bring in jackets or suits. She said that the company takes the line that they want to offer something that the customer can wear as soon as they buy it and that, in the stores in Japan, they can offer a sleeve tailoring for approx $5 (this amount was confirmed with her colleague in Japanese).

I received the distinct impression that most or all of the retail decisions must be cleared by the president of the company who has very Japanese notions of how things should work and that the price point for tailoring jackets should only be a certain amount - and if they cant achieve that figure, then they just wont offer the product or they'll wait until they figure a solution.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were talking about the cardigans and belts and stuff that they had gotten in recently and I asked her if there were plans to bring in jackets or suits. She said that the company takes the line that they want to offer something that the customer can wear as soon as they buy it and that, in the stores in Japan, they can offer a sleeve tailoring for approx $5 (this amount was confirmed with her colleague in Japanese).

I received the distinct impression that most or all of the retail decisions must be cleared by the president of the company who has very Japanese notions of how things should work and that the price point for tailoring jackets should only be a certain amount - and if they cant achieve that figure, then they just wont offer the product or they'll wait until they figure a solution.

One then wonders why they don't offer the same sleeve shortening on the shirts. Or perhaps they do in Japan.

missileblitz

Reaction score
I have recently received an L size from the Tokyo fit of the Vintage Ivy shirt and boy the craftsmanship is amazing. However the fit is very snug. I'm wondering, is it better to size up by trying XL from the Tokyo fit or try out the L from the NY fit?

Rusty

Reaction score
One then wonders why they don't offer the same sleeve shortening on the shirts. Or perhaps they do in Japan.

Perhaps they do. One also wonders why they don't serve curry at the Madison Ave shop:

Sadasue-san has much to answer for.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Question for long time buyers of this brand. Recently they made some changes to the NY Slim Fit. The shirts in my size used to be 16 1/2 x 36 1/3, but are now listed as 16 1/2 x 36 1/2. I'm happy they made the sleeves longer, but am curious if any other changes were made to the shirt's overall fit. Was it just the sleeve length? I ask because I own one of the older models at 36 1/3 that I bought off eBay, BNWT and would like to order the more.

no long time buyer, and im probably fatter than you, but the 16.5/36.5 fits me perfectly.

Killer wool ties at the NYC store and @$69 a real steal!

indeed!!!

i picked one up on sunday, on your rec, and after seeing the fantastic ones you have been posting lately. i wanted more, but i have been on a tear lately, and needed to rein it in at least a little.

also snagged a cotton PS and 2 more shirts.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check WAYWRN tomorrow, for the answer you seek!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kamakura collar roll and wool tie in action. not shown, white cotton kamakura PS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics