Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quoting myself... but I ordered a blue chambray linen in large for summer, a white pinpoint w/cutaway collar in NYSF and one of the grey knit shirts, which I sized down to a medium for a trimmer fit. Will report back on how they all fit relative to each other.

New York Classic is close to those measurements, if the cut works for you of course.

Nice, you'll need to shorten the sleeves a bit (even I do at 6"2')

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Grrrrr.

Ill probs just leave them as is. I have never altered a shirt before. :hide:

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's easy as, you'll be right. I think my tailor charges about $15-20. For me being a big bugger, it's been an anomaly to find shirts that are too long in the sleeves, usually it's the other way around. Still they fit me perfect everywhere else.

I always find it funny about altering sleeves in general life and here on SF, because when you think about it, we alter trouser length to be absolutely perfect to what we want but there's as much chance of variation in arms as there is legs between person to person but we tend to leave the sleeves of shirts alone, but then spend heaps getting the perfect sleeve length on coats.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Stitches do u find that the neck (16.5) fits tts? I'm think of diving in and making a plunge.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I know exactly what you mean, but at least shirts have buttons on the cuffs (unless French/double cuff shirts, of course) which can be used to tighten the cuff so that it stops at your wrist instead of falling over your hand.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

just ordered yesterday. will let you know once i have in hand and wear it.

--

HC - i hear ya. i guess if i rolled up my trousers and jacket sleeves i might be less concerned with them too. :p

but srsly, i think if i wore my shirt sleeves down more i might be more inclined to alter them, but pretty much as soon as i get to work, i take of my jacket and roll up my sleeves.

it is a bitch for fit pics tho. :hide:

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

It's easier and cheaper to alter pant hems than shirt sleeves though. You don't have to deal with the shirt placket or gauntlet buttons on a pair of pants.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Stopped by Madison Ave store yesterday. They have merino wool cardigans. Very nice buttons, great hand, fine gauge, made in Japan, come in four colors: maroon, gray, navy, and tan/camel.

Also, they now have belts. I think they are made in Japan too, but did not confirm.

Cardigans are $99 and belts are (I think) $79. Cardigan is great.

Every time I step into the store I feel like I need to buy as much as possible because someone somewhere is going to wise up and raise the prices soon.

9. samadhi27

samadhi27 Senior member

My oxford shirts have softened up very nicely after several washes, and with no signs of fraying.

10. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

I went into the Madison Ave store today and purchased a NY Slim Fit 16 1/2 - 36 1/2 White OCBD.

The 16 was a bit too tight for me, and I think 16 1/2 will be perfect after a little bit of shrinkage; however, the 36 1/2 sleeves are about an inch to an inch and a half too long for me. The NY Classic Fit 16 1/2 - 35 1/2 was better sleeves length wise.

Do you guys think I should stick with the NY Slim Fit and just shorten the sleeves? Or go with the NY Classic Fit and take in the sides? Which alteration is cheaper?

I might also go back to try on the Tokyo Slim Fit in 16 1/2 - 34 (sleeves will probably be too short) and 16 - 35 (might be too slim in the chest) just to see if either of those fit. I like the fact that the Tokyo fits have shorter body lengths so you can wear them untucked even though I rarely do (NY fits are definitely way too long to wear untucked IMO).

I'm just trying to figure out what the best size/fit for me is so I can start buying more shirts.

P.S. My shirt didn't have a Xinjiang Cotton tag on it, is this normal for the traditional oxford cloth shirts?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

11. missileblitz

missileblitz Active Member

How often do they restock their Vintage Ivy Shirts online? I'm planning to buy a Large chambray, which is out of stock :(

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I'm in the same boat, so any advice welcome.

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Here I thought I was the only one who did that! You'll like your shirts. I'm a Tokyo Slim, but either way, the quality for what you pay is great.

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You have to know your shoulder width. If you can't find a neck/sleeve size that fits your shoulders...move on.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

IMO due to the placket you are probably better off taking in the sides rather than trying to shorten the sleeves.