Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

I'm curious to see the roll on the broadcloth (after 1-2 washes) compared to the oxfords.

2. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

[​IMG]

3. TonioKroger

TonioKroger Well-Known Member

I have an end-on-end that I've washed many times and the roll and the collar itself is excellent. I'm currently washing two shirts- an oxford and a pinpoint- I will report back.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

How were the arms? I'm a 16/34 but the measurements for the L Ivy shirt make the arms seems short.

5. TonioKroger

Again- the fit was "just" right- but with no "ease" and snugness. I would have tried on the large, and with you being a 16/34- I might try that as well.

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'm hoping these are as great as everyone says, they sure look like it. I just ordered two of the 16/35 Tokyo Slims. The measurements should be spot on after a little waist tapering. I'll report back with my opinion soon...if anyone cares to hear it.

7. TonioKroger

I want to amend my comments about the Kamakura oxford cloth. I just got it back from the cleaners and it is heavy duty! Probably not the "impenetrable" stuff of Gitman (I have none to compare), but just right for me as it breathes nicely and feels weighty.

8. TonioKroger

And yes- the Kamakura shirts are cut high in the arm hole- but this is ideal for me and creates a trim, late-60's silhouette. I like the pinpoint more than the oxford- but I always veer towards finer fabrics and lighter weights.

9. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I wear 15,5/34 like you,
    Have you tried the new york fit or tokyo fit?
    How do you judge sleeves lenght? Thanks

10. TonioKroger

I tried on the NY fit. Though it has been a few days since I tried it on, I would say that in general, I probably would have had to go up to a large. It was cut snugly and the tails, as I recall, were more of the shorter type that people like nowadays. That said, I believe the cuffs came to *just* the right part on me...again, with no room for *ease* which I like.

It should be said that I enjoy a clean fit- without a lot of bagginess. And yet, this for me was verging on too snug (and given shrinkage- I would have been in trouble, I feel.)

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Thanks for your helpful reply :satisfied:

12. Muri

Muri Well-Known Member

Man I really want Kamakura to be available in a west coast retail store.They're return policy isn't great because they ship from Japan but I really want to try out a few different fits and sizes. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be visiting NYC for a long time.

13. TonioKroger

I am going to be writing up my impressions of their cloth shirts later - I've mostly been buying their knit shirts. Now the cloth is my favorite---

14. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Just washed my knit shirt for the first time last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of shrinkage. The upper arms of Kamakura's shirts are cut slimmer than any other maker I've tried, and I was worried that any significant shinkage would have the shirt looking like an under armour shirt with a cut-away collar. I'll be ordering a lot more of these.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

15. TonioKroger

I washed and dried a knit short that was a little too big and now it's perfect. I will wash and drip dry from now on.