Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Placed a phone order earlier today from the NYC location. One OCBD and one spread collar broadcloth - will report back with impressions and comparisons when able. I've phased out almost all of my BB shirts by now (mostly OCBD's from: Epaulet, WvG plus a few Uniqlo beaters).

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Teger, help a dude out.

Can you assist w/ me graduating from Uniqlo (a bit) as Kamakura has some styles that I have been looking for forever, particularly their stripped spread collars e.g. http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_472.html

I wear a small in Uniqlo OCBD's and dresss shirts in general (slim fit I need a medium to accommodate the shoulders).

TIA!

3. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

I would get a 15 1/3 w/34 1/3 sleeves or 15 3/4 if i were you.

4. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

Does anyone have a Tokyo Slim Fit 15 or 15 1/3rd they can lay flat and measure the P2P on?

5. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

6. alco

alco Well-Known Member

Was browsing the site and interested in getting some oxford shirts but couldn't tell the difference between the normal oxford and the pinpoint oxford? Pictures (blue oxford) show the normal oxford to be lighter in color but that could just be the lighting?

Anyone know if there are major difference between the two?

7. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

Pinpoint is lighter in weight and softer to the touch. Normal oxford is thicker and holds creases/wrinkles better.

Not so sure about the colors.

8. alco

alco Well-Known Member

^Thanks for the info!

For those with experience with their spread/ cutaway collars, do these come with removable collar stays?

9. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

Yes

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Shirts arrived today via USPS.

Administrative business:
    I ordered over the phone, which was pretty simple. I described the shirt I wanted and the size (I guess this was easier than providing the item code from the website). They asked for my number so that they could call me back after checking their stock. I received a call back within 10-15 minutes. This next call was when I provided the necessary details (payment/shipping information). There was a bit of miscommunication regarding my address, so I ended up sending those details in over e-mail. I was e-mailed a copy of my receipt, which I verified before they agreed to send the shirts out the next day. The person who helped me is named Aya and she was easy to work with.

Added bonus: there's a neat little stamp card included along with my receipt (in an envelop). 16 stamps gets you a shirt worth $79 and you receive a stamp for every $69 you spend.

On to the shirts:
    I ordered 2 shirts to try. One dress and one OCBD. Both in Tokyo Slim 15 3/4 - 33 and I'm a US40.
    - white broadcloth spread collar shirt (no pocket): Removeable collar stays included. This shirt is probably as slim as I dare go, as there's a hint of pulling if I purposely puff my chest out/arch my shoulders back. The collar shape seems nice enough and the sleeves are just right. Both of these are supposed to shrink over the course of the first few washes, which could be problematic for sleeve length. I don't mind darting at all, as most of the shirts I currently wear are darted.
    - white OCBD (standard fabric): Compared to the other quality OCBD's I own (Epaulet, WvG), this feels to be lighter and smoother. This shirt is meant to be tucked and would need to be altered to be worn untucked. The collar is less pronounced than the older iteration of Epaulet shirts, but the shape is quite nice. Sizing was consistent with the broadcloth shirt, but could be more of a concern as oxford cloth seems to shrink more. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

In the end: I generally wear my OCBD's untucked, but I'll probably keep this one as well. I'll have to watch out for changes in measurements, but I intend to cold wash and hang dry. If the sizing doesn't work out for me after a few washes, I may consider trying the NY slim fit, or just getting a different sleeve length (if the sleeves are the only issue). If they do work out, I can see Kamakura as my go-to for workhorse dress shirts. I currently don't have to wear a suit and tie very often for work, so I can probably get by with stocking the basics for work/weddings/interviews/etc - white/blue/university stripe etc. Maybe I will splurge on one of the higher tier fabrics next time or consider MTO if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The longer length is one of my favourite things about these, though I don't wear them un-tucked like you and I'm a tall guy too. I've found shrinkage to be minimal on the oxfords (cold wash, hang dry)

12. Wade

Wade Senior member

To add my bit, I was initially worried about shrinkage from washing because for my size the sleeve was just right and it doesn't seem to have shrunk any (only washed twice so far but if it didn't already shrink, doubt it will in the future)

13. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Wonder when will they have these in the US

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor