• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ruzzi

Reaction score
I nailed my size first order in the “sport” ocbd and quickly ordered two more. Great value and love the unlined collar.

FYI they just started offering unlined “sport” collars on their online custom shirts. Dangerous if they start also offering more fabrics!

Spex

Reaction score
Looks great - how were prices compared to US stores?

To give you a sense of Kamakura prices in Japan, shirts start at about the equivalent of $60 USD and ties about $50 USD. The cardigan posted earlier is about $180 USD.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All kamakura all day

20191104_134425.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man I gotta say....they have nice pocket square designs but I just can't use them without patch pockets because the squares are so small they just fall down the pocket. :(

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accidentally put a couple in the dryer and I have long arms, so now I've got two very lightly worn, pre-shrunk shirts if anyone here is interested. 16.5-33 tokyo slim fit "SPORT" ocbd in blue and alternating muted blue / red stripe

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I accidentally put a couple in the dryer and I have long arms, so now I've got two very lightly worn, pre-shrunk shirts if anyone here is interested. 16.5-33 tokyo slim fit "SPORT" ocbd in blue and alternating muted blue / red stripe
Did the neck shrink at all? I'm a 16.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be checking out the store more, but for more casual shirts. I went in a few weeks ago, but their dress shirts just don't work for me. The closest fit for me was 39-87 Tokyo Slim Fit, but the arms were too long for me, even after 9 years of washing.

Their casual shirts in 16-34 seem to fit me better. I could lose a little fabric in the waist still though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not just get a tailor to shorten sleeves? Its super cheap and these shirts are so good its still worth it imo. They also do a very reasonable mtm although their sale just ended for that.

The look i was going for. The silks are kamakura. The cufflinks are my (somehow) formal link style tiki cufflinks ahead of this weekends tiki convention (seriously).
20200305_184501.jpg

20200305_184529.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a tailor to shorten sleeves? Its super cheap and these shirts are so good its still worth it imo. They also do a very reasonable mtm although their sale just ended for that.

The look i was going for. The silks are kamakura. The cufflinks are my (somehow) formal link style tiki cufflinks ahead of this weekends tiki convention (seriously).
View attachment 1350343

View attachment 1350342
For me I don't think it's worth the cost if I have to get them altered especially if you are doing it from the shoulder. I am perfectly happy with OTR with one of the other affiliate vendors.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to try a shirt or two from Kamakura, but the sizing does have me a bit baffled. I am a 16-33. I prefer what many US shirts call a slim (but not skinny) fit - I wear Brooks Brothers Regent fit in 16-33 and they fit perfectly. I have a number of Chales Tyrwhitt slim shirts in same size and some of them are a tad too tight after shrinkage. But, I hate the "standard" U.S. style shirts as being way too baggy.
So, Tokyo slim sounds out for me as too tight. Which of the NY styles would seem like the right fit and what size?
Thanks for any guidance.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to try a shirt or two from Kamakura, but the sizing does have me a bit baffled. I am a 16-33. I prefer what many US shirts call a slim (but not skinny) fit - I wear Brooks Brothers Regent fit in 16-33 and they fit perfectly. I have a number of Chales Tyrwhitt slim shirts in same size and some of them are a tad too tight after shrinkage. But, I hate the "standard" U.S. style shirts as being way too baggy.
So, Tokyo slim sounds out for me as too tight. Which of the NY styles would seem like the right fit and what size?
Thanks for any guidance.

the real difference between Tokyo slim and NY slim is the arm length. Apparently New Yorkers have longer arms.

So if Tokyo fit is too slim, odds are NY will be as well. They do have a classic fit in both which might work. Otherwise, I do believe they will do made to measure.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Shirts are starting to blow out a lot faster than I expected. Wore them prob once a week for less than a year which seems pretty low.

papado

Reaction score
Thanks for any guidance.

A BB Regent shirt in sz16 has chest and waist measurements of 46 and 44 inches and a CT slim in 16 has a chest of 44 and a waist of 41 per their websites. The tokyo slim in sz16 has a chest of ~46.5 and waist of ~41.5 so if your issue is just the body/sleeves on your regent then I would give it a try!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads