• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broadcloth is pretty lightweight. I'd look at pinpoint oxford, as well. Not sure about their chambray...it's often very lightweight but I've seen heavy weight chambray too.

Torsion

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 3rd MTM order with these guys.
My story with Kamakura - tried their RTW over the past couple of years whilst slowly replenishing my worn out conservative business dress shirt wardrobe but the fit for obvious reasons wasn't quite right.I have a broad chest and shoulders and odd length arms with a slim waist.
Decided to try out MTM having also given Proper Cloth a go,Kamakura for me coming out way on top in terms of construction, quality and cloth choices.
Luckily for me I fit into their block, the first sample I tried was almost spot on, shortened the sleeve length on the left arm and ordered 3 more.My pattern was nailed = danger zone.
The photo you see is a combination of panic of leaving NYC and losing access to their fantastic MTM service but also the need for refreshing a well worn shirt wardrobe.
The only one thing I wish they offered was a larger selection of collar choice.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190421003429547.jpg

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 3rd MTM order with these guys.
My story with Kamakura - tried their RTW over the past couple of years whilst slowly replenishing my worn out conservative business dress shirt wardrobe but the fit for obvious reasons wasn't quite right.I have a broad chest and shoulders and odd length arms with a slim waist.
Decided to try out MTM having also given Proper Cloth a go,Kamakura for me coming out way on top in terms of construction, quality and cloth choices.
Luckily for me I fit into their block, the first sample I tried was almost spot on, shortened the sleeve length on the left arm and ordered 3 more.My pattern was nailed = danger zone.
The photo you see is a combination of panic of leaving NYC and losing access to their fantastic MTM service but also the need for refreshing a well worn shirt wardrobe.
The only one thing I wish they offered was a larger selection of collar choice.
View attachment 1163783

I’m in your boat - their OTR stuff fits me okay but i have a big chest and slim waist/neck. Been considering giving this a shot - how long is the process?

Torsion

Reaction score
I’m in your boat - their OTR stuff fits me okay but i have a big chest and slim waist/neck. Been considering giving this a shot - how long is the process?
Way too quick for my liking which makes it all too accessible!
3 weeks from initial order to delivery.If you live in NYC its worth picking up as they charge a small shipping fee.
Japanese service and quality at its finest IMO for the cost of this product.
Quickly glanced at a couple of the stripes and there's shoulder to sleeve pattern matching.
Go try one out,if you fit into the block pattern it's so worth it hence my buying action on these.

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to try out some linen sport shirts for the summer, but they all seem to come in S/M/L sizing and feature way too short sleeves to fit me.

mina262

Reaction score
Way too quick for my liking which makes it all too accessible!
3 weeks from initial order to delivery.If you live in NYC its worth picking up as they charge a small shipping fee.
Japanese service and quality at its finest IMO for the cost of this product.
Quickly glanced at a couple of the stripes and there's shoulder to sleeve pattern matching.
Go try one out,if you fit into the block pattern it's so worth it hence my buying action on these.

How much do they go for, out of curiosity?!

Torsion

Reaction score
I'd really like to try out some linen sport shirts for the summer, but they all seem to come in S/M/L sizing and feature way too short sleeves to fit me.
Try the MTM!

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the MTM!

I just may. I did notice that they don't have linen listed as a material on the MTO page. Do they have other fabrics that aren't listed? Also, anyone have experience with Kamakura's linen? Would it be worth the additional price or should I look elsewhere?

mosivy

Reaction score
I wish the MTM block fit me well! I've tried it twice. The construction and fabrics are better than makers like Proper Cloth and Ratio. But I'll be sticking to them for fit.

shipbroker

Reaction score
Hi All what fabrics do you usually order? Reason I ask - I've had one shirt I bought in Japan that had a really thin and light fabric which I hate. Recently checked with their customer service and they said it's a royal oxford when I gave them the product code. But I've got other Royal Oxfords which are totally fine.

Ordered a pinpoint and when I double checked with Customer Service before they shipped, advised that it might be too thin for my tastes but got them to ship it anyway and it was totally fine! Better than my royal oxford which is a tad thin. I can only order online and don't want to deal with shirts I don't want to wear and Customer Service - I guess it gets lost in translation.

I love heartier/thicker fabrics - Kamakura's oxfords are actually a bit too thin for my preferences but with Mercer and BB being more expensive I've no choice =( I'm guessing I should steer clear of Broadcloth but apart from that what fabrics would you recommend? I know their site as a fabric weight chart but like many things I'm not sure it serves as an accurate guide.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dobby or twill (I haven't owned this personally) would probably be good options. Not as thick as oxford but thicker than broadcloth or pinpoint.

downtownford2

Reaction score
Just heard off this company and I do like what they have to offer. What size would fit me best? I wear Milano (extra slim fit) for Brooks Brothers which is still a bit big and Extra slim fit for Charles Tyrwhitt which fits pretty well.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the Tokyo Slim Fit is a smidge slimmer than BB Milano. Not sure about Tyrwhitt since I haven't ordered any shirts from them since they changed the fit on their Extra Slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads