1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Francks

Francks Senior Member

Wondering what size I should get. I have some CT Extra Slim Fit (the fit after the end of 2014/ beginning of 2015 revision) in 15"/34"

looking at dress shirts, and will go with the Tokyo slim fit (Manhattan). Hesitating between 39/87 and 38/85. What would you recommend? Thanks!

2. rakaushik

rakaushik Member

The shirts seem to shrink a little bit after wash especially the sleeves so factor that when ordering.

3. rakaushik

rakaushik Member

Most of the shipments I received were from their HongKong warehouse and some from Japan

4. shortlefty

shortlefty Senior Member

I just went to both CT and Kamakura a few days ago, got measured in both places.

I am a 15 1/2" / 33" in CT and Kamakura I am a 15 1/2" / 32 1/2" or 39/83

CT was in super slim fit (Their slimmest fit) and it was stiller baggy in every aspect even tho I have a semi athletic build. Kamakura Tokyo fit me a lot better for me although it was a bit longer than I liked.

I tried a after wash and pre wash fit and the after washed seemed to only have shrunk slightly in the arms and length. Hope this helps

5. garymyman

garymyman Senior Member

Has anyone tried the sport coats or blazers from Kamakura? The website has a litany of new ones. The price range - $350-$450 - is very attractive. Is it a poor man’s Ring Jacket?

6. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

if they're going for a ivy style might be sack jacket?

7. 2942

2942 Senior Member

I tried a few of them in Japan and liked the fit and construction. That said, I had to go up a size (48 instead of the usual 36/46) and even with the larger size, they were still slim and (almost too) short.

8. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Distinguished Member

Wonder if they’ll add USA models as they did for shirts.

9. 2942

2942 Senior Member

I believe they should. Size 48 is considered Medium in Japan so I can't see a large enough demand for their products in the Japanese sizing.

10. Juan for the road

Juan for the road Member

I am going to refine my game a bit and step up to Kamakura shirts with a semi-spread collar.I will make a trip over to Madison to the store.I have a tall,wide shoulder - narrow waist build.To get the fit I like will certainly take alterations in the sleeve and mid section.Do they do alterations in the store?

11. nycs10011

nycs10011 Well-Known Member

They do. I ended up not having them alter my sleeves but I think they were charging $30 or $35 to shorten them.

12. Salad

Salad Senior Member

Does anyone know how long the sleeves are on the Napoli shirts? I called and they told me to check the size guide but there are no sleeve measurements for Napoli shirts. Also, I normally wear a 15.5 collar. Kamakura shirts seem to only come in either 15 1/3 and 15 3/4. I guess I should go with 15 3/4 to compensate for shrinkage but I have no experience with Kamakura and I don't want to end up with too big of a collar.
    Any advice is appreciated.

13. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

I'm 15 33 1/2, I get 15 in Napoli, they do shrink a bit more (if it's broadclothe)

14. Salad

Salad Senior Member

Thanks. Guess I'll go with 15 3/4 and see what happens.