• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup, though the stock is from NJ so looks a bit less than international website, also they charge shipping (regardless amount) even though it’s from NJ vs Japan... on the other hand they do give you points that you can use on next purchase, so almost even out for most shirts

Spex

Reaction score
What the difference between the 314 casual shirts and the Napoli shirts?

I think you mean 134 shirts. The Napoli shirts are a subset of the 134 shirts. They are made in Naples, Italy instead of made in Japan, like the standard Kamakura shirts. There are some differences in the construction that somehow make the shirts more "neopolitan", but I'm not an expert on what any of that is. All of this makes them more expensive than the MIJ shirts. Based on my experience with various shirts from the brand, the standard (read: cheaper) shirts are probably still very nice.

shipbroker

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a number of Kamakuras in Tokyo Slim Fit 16.5/34 (42/86cm) that I bought in Japan.

However I got these a few years ago when I was slimmer and prefered a closer fit. I was also wearing a lot of B.B. ESF(now Milano) at the time.

However i’ve got a dad bod now, working longer hours and not really working out anymore. I’m naturally quite a big guy and I’m just getting pudgier. Also with age I’m starting to prefer a more classic cut (but not sloppy and tent like).

The Tokyo Slim Fits are now especially snug in the chest area, the waist is fine-ish though cutting it close. The arms have always been snug but now the outline of my thin undershirts are starting to show.

I want to order new shirts with more room. I could have a bit more room in the chest than a BB Slim Fit (now regent) equivalent (my go to shirts currently though the shoulder seams drop off my shoulders a touch)

I’m also looking at a longer sleeve cuz the 34 is really too short. I probably need a 35 at the least if not a 36.

I’m looking at either the largest New York Slim Fit they have: 43-92 (17-36) The chest and waist are closest to B.B. Slim Fits at my current size but the sleeves might require taking in. Alternatively the New York Classic Fit in 42 (16.5) or 43-90 (17-35.5) but the waists on those might be too blousy.

Anyone with a similar experience could advise how I should size up? Going up a size in the collar I’m worried the shoulder seams might drop off my shoulders and the balance of the collar might change negatively from the current 16.5-34 Tokyo Slims I have.

Spex

Reaction score
I’m looking at either the largest New York Slim Fit they have: 43-92 (17-36) The chest and waist are closest to B.B. Slim Fits at my current size but the sleeves might require taking in. Alternatively the New York Classic Fit in 42 (16.5) or 43-90 (17-35.5) but the waists on those might be too blousy.

Anyone with a similar experience could advise how I should size up? Going up a size in the collar I’m worried the shoulder seams might drop off my shoulders and the balance of the collar might change negatively from the current 16.5-34 Tokyo Slims I have.

They have a size guide on the site, so you can compare the measurements of your Tokyo fit shirt to the other fits and sizes.
https://kamakurashirts.com/pages/basics

They also have this guide where they compare their shirts to those of other brands, such as BB.
https://kamakurashirts.com/pages/compare-with-other-brands

mosivy

Reaction score
However i’ve got a dad bod now, working longer hours and not really working out anymore. I’m naturally quite a big guy and I’m just getting pudgier. Also with age I’m starting to prefer a more classic cut (but not sloppy and tent like).

The Tokyo Slim Fits are now especially snug in the chest area, the waist is fine-ish though cutting it close. The arms have always been snug but now the outline of my thin undershirts are starting to show.

I want to order new shirts with more room. I could have a bit more room in the chest than a BB Slim Fit (now regent) equivalent (my go to shirts currently though the shoulder seams drop off my shoulders a touch)

I’m also looking at a longer sleeve cuz the 34 is really too short. I probably need a 35 at the least if not a 36.

I have had a very similar experience in terms of my sizing. I would recommend that you get the New York Slim Fit and alter the sleeves. It's the simplest alteration, and the shoulders, chest, and waist are more important to get right!

shipbroker

Reaction score
They have a size guide on the site, so you can compare the measurements of your Tokyo fit shirt to the other fits and sizes.

They also have this guide where they compare their shirts to those of other brands, such as BB.

Yeah I’ve looked at the size guides. Relying more on the cm measurements rather than in inches cuz it’s inaccurate.

Thanks Spex! Yes I’ve looked through the size guide but had to look at their cm figures. The numbers in inches are slightly off. The similar brand page was helpful but stopped at 34 inch sleeves for my size which isn’t too helpful.

It helped to convert my fav shirts into cm dimensions and compare off the size guide.

shipbroker

Reaction score
I have had a very similar experience in terms of my sizing. I would recommend that you get the New York Slim Fit and alter the sleeves. It's the simplest alteration, and the shoulders, chest, and waist are more important to get right!

Thanks mosivy. That’s what I’ll do I reckon. Probably go for the 43-92 and take 2cm off the sleeves. The downside is the selection of NY fits is smaller than for the Tokyo fits. Will have to stop by their store next time I’m in NY or Japan

Spex

Reaction score
The downside is the selection of NY fits is smaller than for the Tokyo fits. Will have to stop by their store next time I’m in NY or Japan

FYI - I visited a number of stores in and around Tokyo and found out that (at that time, summer 2015) only the Haneda Airport store carried any N.Y. fit shirts. When I went to the airport location the selection was super limited. Best bet is to order a N.Y. fit shirt online at shop.shirt.co.jp and have it shipped to a friend or family member in Japan (if the option is available to you).

ausdertraum

Reaction score
FYI - I visited a number of stores in and around Tokyo and found out that (at that time, summer 2015) only the Haneda Airport store carried any N.Y. fit shirts. When I went to the airport location the selection was super limited. Best bet is to order a N.Y. fit shirt online at shop.shirt.co.jp and have it shipped to a friend or family member in Japan (if the option is available to you).

As of mid 2016 the Haneda store has been closed and the only store to carry NY slim fit is the Ginza store.
One of these days I'll call them to confirm if that's still the case.

Spex

Reaction score
Do you happen to know when the Ginza store opened? That's exactly the area I was staying on my last trip, but wasn't aware of a Maker's Shirt location there. Good to know.

jamie411

Reaction score
I don't know if its still the case, but they used to do sleeve alterations for cheap when you ordered online from the .jp store. This wasn't (and believe it still isn't) an option for the US online store. Which is unfortunate, because the NY Slim Fit with sleeves shortened about an inch, was a perfect fit for me.

Spex

Reaction score
I don't know if its still the case, but they used to do sleeve alterations for cheap when you ordered online from the .jp store. This wasn't (and believe it still isn't) an option for the US online store. Which is unfortunate, because the NY Slim Fit with sleeves shortened about an inch, was a perfect fit for me.

They still do and it costs ¥972 (or less than $9 USD).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you happen to know when the Ginza store opened? That's exactly the area I was staying on my last trip, but wasn't aware of a Maker's Shirt location there. Good to know.

There was a store in Ginza when I visited Tokyo in May 2016..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads