STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. kickstand

kickstand Senior Member

Couple of new OCBDs showed up today. New versions are just as great as the old ones to my eyes. Super fast shipping. Ordered on the 10th and they arrived this morning.

@mossrockss Collar point length on my old tokyo slim fit and new the tokyo slim Manhattan version are the exact same.

2. theh00d

theh00d Senior Member

What size do you wear in S&M?
    I wear 38/82 in Toyko Slim. Want to try out S&M shirts but unsure what size I should get.

Thanks!

3. Kelvin0683

Kelvin0683 Well-Known Member

I’m a 14.5/33 in US sizing (longer arms) and a 38/85 in Kamakura. I don’t think Spier and Mackay has different sleeve lengths to pick from but the one I got from them fits my arms well. If anything, I would just visit my Tailor to fix anything.

4. theh00d

theh00d Senior Member

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

5. Kelvin0683

I just received two Cutaway collar/French cuff shirts that I ordered last week. After wearing Brooks Brothers for a while now, the new Cutaway collars seem really nice. I ordered them last Thursday and I received them today so shipping was decently fast.

Does anyone know if the shirts shrink a lot if I dry clean them? I know on the website it says that they will shrink 1.5 cm in the sleeves if you wash them but what about dry cleaning?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

6. soaped

soaped Senior Member

I've dry cleaned a few of them multiple times and didn't notice any shrinking. As long as your cleaners don't use water with heat you should be fine.

Their broadcloth fabrics seem to shrink noticeably more than their other fabrics too. I've actually stopped buying their broadcloth shirts because of it.

And for washing - as long as you wash cold on gentle and hang dry the shrinking should be minimal. My wife once threw a few of my Kamakura shirts into the dryer and they must have shrank at least 2 sizes.

7. Kelvin0683

Thanks for the tip and heads up about the broadcloth. And that sounds really unfortunate about your shirts, hope you got new ones to replace them haha.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

+1 on their broadcloth

9. pasadena man

pasadena man Member

I’ve fallen under the Internet spell of Kamakura, but was reluctant to order over the net because of their myriad, and idiosyncratic, sizes. I went into the recently opened The Bloke in Pasadena yesterday, and found that they have a small quantity of Kamakura OCBD’s, the first retail distribution for the brand on the West Coast that I am aware of.

Picked up a blue OCBD. Initial impressions do not disappoint. The shirt did not fall short of the hype to me. It has an indefinable hot tub time machine aura (in the best possible way), fantastic visual texture, and a unique, dry, almost rustic, hand to it.

The Bloke has a very tightly curated Anglo/Ivy collection, lovingly assembled by the enthusiast owner, Jeffrey. They are planning on doing a pop-up with Kamakura in a few months. Kudos to them for getting some brands that are rare at retail in So Cal: Alden, Drakes, and now Kamakura. http://thebloke.com

10. Spunge

Spunge Active Member

Has anyone heard a more definite date than "early spring" as to when the U.S. online store? Can you still order from the Madison Avenue store by email? If so, what is the address? I've looked all over and can't find it.

11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Here it is, you social climbing proles! The Official Preppy Challenge! Ever wanted to pretend to be a preppy (or a Sloane?) for a day? No? Well let's pretend you do. Just take an illustration from one of the canonical, tongue-in-cheek, books that we love to hate (The Official Preppy Handbook, True Prep, The Official Sloane Ranger Handbook, or Class) and re-create the look. The winner will receive a $50 e-gift certificate to R. Hanauer Ties (www.bowties.com).

Enter here:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-official-preppy-challenge.605020/

12. nycs10011

nycs10011 Active Member

13. mosivy

mosivy Well-Known Member

If used it a few times. It's a good value on promos, but it's not really full MTM. You basically pick a current size, then tweak a handful of measurements: sleeve, collar, wrists, length, and shoulders (a bit). It's nice that to be able to do monograms and interesting styles though.

14. Spyder187

Spyder187 Active Member

Hey I just got ahold of a blue striped 300 series shirt. Question, pattern matching on the sleeve "placket". One sleeve is matched, the other seems like they tried but it missed. Stitches in places are closer together (almost looks like more stitched per inch) or stitched more times especially in certain areas. Is this normal for their shirts?

15. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

You can tweak measurements now? I think when they started it was stock size/fit/fabric