1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

2. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior Member

Selling brand new TOKYO SLIM (MANHATTAN) (38/82 Black LHIS88193882). Italian fabrics (Liberty). PM me. Its too small for me.

3. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

I am back on the Kamakura train - they have a bunch of staples available in 42/92 in the NY slim fit.

The spread collar is still StyFo Approved.

4. Kelvin0683

Kelvin0683 Well-Known Member

Looking to purchase either a Royal Oxford or Pinpoint Oxford shirt. Does anyone know what the differences are? I’m looking for a thicker material and I’m not sure which one might be better for something like going to meetings.

5. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Distinguished Member

just be warned that Royal Oxford creases like a MF

6. Spex

Spex Senior Member

Pinpoint is like a finer Oxford Cloth, and I like it for the cooler months. Almost as appropriate a broadcloth, but a step down in formality. Royal Oxford has a bit of a diamond-like texture and some say that it's a bit shiny. I vote for Pinpoint.

7. mosivy

mosivy Well-Known Member

I work in a business casual environment (finance), where most folks where trousers and a dress shirt. I really like the medium formality of the pinpoint oxford, and I think it's resistance to wrinkles is reasonable for a more formal oxford.

8. Kelvin0683

I just spoke to CS on the phone and it seems like they don't restock shirts after they've been sold out. I'm looking at this one in particular and I can't find anything else similar to it. Does anyone know when they usually do restocks or have recommendations for similar brands that make a cutaway collar with french cuffs?

http://www.kamakurashirts.net/shop/g/gKHPS83103681/

9. TyroneTornado

TyroneTornado Member

It is worth mentioning that I bought the new Manhattan model, Tokyo Slim Fit, in the previous size and the shirt fits better!

I was concerned that it was going to be more slim, and I needed to go up a size but I didn't. YMMV.

10. kickstand

kickstand Senior Member

Thanks for posting that. Just the info I needed.

11. mythage

mythage Senior Member

Letting go of a few kamakura shirts that no longer fit me, pm me if you're interested!

Tokyo Slim White ocbd - never worn, laundered once - 38x85

Knit shirts, tall, medium, tokyo slim, white as well
    2 button down - gently used/worn once
    2 cutaway collar - never worn/worn once

Too bulky for these now so I've got to rebuy my shirts.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

12. Spex

Spex Senior Member

From what I've seen, Kamakura produces a run of shirts and puts them on sale until they are sold out. They make so many different styles that I imagine they don't do "restocks". However, if there is a certain popular or common type of shirt (such as a white OCBD) it will eventually be produced again, but I don't think they continuously produce and sell any particular model of shirt. If you're just waiting for a white cutaway collar shirt with French cuffs, then I imagine that will come around again, but it depends if you are looking for a specific type of cloth. The Japanese site has 7 different Tokyo fit shirts of that type right now, but I don't know if any are in your size.

Spier & Mackay here in Toronto makes good quality, affordable shirts. Perhaps one of these fits the bill?

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop...210&dir=desc&shirt_collars=226&shirt_cuffs=97

13. Kelvin0683

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, hopefully something similar will be produced. I checked the Japanese website as well with the help of a translator add-on and they didn’t have my size either (38/85). I have two Spier & Mackay shirts but I’m looking for a small step up in terms of quality.

14. Spex

Spex Senior Member

I agree that the Kamakura shirts are nicer quality than S&M.