1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kabbaz Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 30, 2007.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is such a thing; it's called a "muslin." Though it's not always made of muslin. Frank Shattuck made no less than three for me, plus two muslin vests. No other tailor I know of still does this, however.
    Charvet did that for my sport coat.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Charvet did that for my sport coat.
    Now the two of you have scarred my eyes. I think muslin, and I think cheesecloth. I think of you and Manton wrapped in cheesecloth, and my eyes hurt. Thanks a lot.

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

thread revival = [​IMG]

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now the two of you have scarred my eyes. I think muslin, and I think cheesecloth. I think of you and Manton wrapped in cheesecloth, and my eyes hurt. Thanks a lot.
    Keep your fantasies to yourself.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it makes you feel better, Davies did one for me and called it a toile fitting. Somehow, that sounds worse. In reality, the "toile" was a tan cloth they had rolls of, intended for the uniforms of one of the Harry's or Cipriani's somewhere or other.

6. haganah

haganah Senior member

i read the whole thing and i still don't get the inside joke. you guys have really complex inside jokes.

7. Caomhanach

Caomhanach Senior member

Join ASK ANDY because of a desire to dress like a GENTLEMAN with all that implies and demands. Make the inevitable share of brilliant and utterly stupid posts one wishes could have been thought out in an age when Men of Letters actually meant stationary and fountain pens. Make your share of apologies for those comments: not because of threat of banning but knowing you really were a boor. Meet a cornucopia of artisans this deux ex machina does brilliantly make available. You notice, being BUSINESSMEN they stay scrupulously out of the plethora of ancillary forums beyond clothing except For Carlo Franco and Mr Kabbatz who act as 'moderators.' You actually make some purchases from these vendors. You actually plan to at least buy a lousy half dozen Pantherella socks from Kabbatz. You can't afford a $500 shirt, or even a lousy 2nd from Ross Dress for Less at times. But you believe in reciprocity and remember that even Tiffanys engraved a Crackerjack ring for Audrey and George.And then people come onboard who think Denim is some mark of true Libertie, Eqalitie and Franternitie and another who actually eats with the same mouth he vomits filth with. And then kabbatz and Co. show blatent prejudice and immoderate moderation who's only criteria is do not challenge their authority. So, I bought my 6 lousy pantherellas, but not from Alex. And it will be a cold day in Hell, even if I won the damned Lottery tommorow I will every buy a shirt to insult my Sam Hober ties and Kent Wang Pocketsquares. I'm sure Cruiser and pedantic Turkey will keep them busy enough without me.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

WTF are you talking about?

9. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

+1. Seriously.

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

He's just given the reasons why he left AA and joined SF.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I ran the post through several language translations in order to smmoth it out and to bring the true greatness of his teaching to the surface. I think it is now much more intelligible.

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I ran the post through several language translations in order to smmoth it out and to bring the true greatness of his teaching to the surface. I think it is now much more intelligible.

Awesome. Thanks.

13. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

Hmm… I have no idea how I voted on this thread when it's not been up since last summer.

I have fired up a lot of threads to read about Kabbaz now, but since it'll take some time, I might as well ask before I fire up the Charvet threads (if there are any). Edit: I realised I am probably asking the wrong kind of question, whose answers will tell me something and nothing.

I'll ask this one question instead: How does Charvet differ in concept and execution from Kabbaz? From what I've read, Kabbaz seems like an amiciable fellow, but the physical properties of our Earth makes the trip to the USA a bit more inconvenient than a trip to Paris.

/Adrian

14. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

If hope for, the day that I can find, Kabbaz at Steinmart, Zimerolli underoos, too.

15. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

As I have said, I have gotten a well-fitting shirt from Geneva. The first one was fine, subsequent ones have fit better. But it the onus was on me to suggest changes to marginally improve the fit. They made every one of those changes, exactly as I asked for them. But had I not asked, they would not have been made. And I had to pay for every shirt in the process. With AK, you can put yourself in his hands, and get the same or better result. Which is what I did.

Manton, this is probably the key reason I would be willing to splurge and get a set of AK shirts. Of course the other qualities I value (such as the great construction) but knowing that AK appears to really value the fit of the garment is a great feature. It really irrates me that shirtmakers and tailors don't go out of their way to make sure the garments fit the best they can. Most of the time the client is not an expert on fit and the professional should go out of their way to guide.

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, this is probably the key reason I would be willing to splurge and get a set of AK shirts. Of course the other qualities I value (such as the great construction) but knowing that AK appears to really value the fit of the garment is a great feature. It really irrates me that shirtmakers and tailors don't go out of their way to make sure the garments fit the best they can. Most of the time the client is not an expert on fit and the professional should go out of their way to guide.
    Look at it this way. AK now starts at $1K, or so I hear, and asks for an 8 shirt minimum (or is it ten?) Anyway, you pay that $1K forever.

Geneva starts at $225. So say you have to burn three before you are happy. That's $675. Less than one AK shirt. Then you pay $225 forever.

The math seems pretty clear to me.

17. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

Look at it this way. AK now starts at $1K, or so I hear, and asks for an 8 shirt minimum (or is it ten?) Anyway, you pay that $1K forever.

Geneva starts at $225. So say you have to burn three before you are happy. That's $675. Less than one AK shirt. Then you pay $225 forever.

The math seems pretty clear to me.

True. Just wish shirtmakers went out of their way to make sure the shirt was perfect and not leave it up to the customer. I'm not an expert fitter - my shirts obviously fit reasonably well and to my untrained eye seem OK but I'm sure improvements can be made.

8k for 8 shirts is really steep. regardless of how much money you have.

18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tom Ford

Thom Browne.

20. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

Thom Browne.

Thom Bijan.