Kabbaz shirtmaking articles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alexander Kabbaz, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Alex:

Welcome back.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Very cool stuff, and very well-written I might add. Thanks for the info.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

that is awesome. LOL [​IMG] although i would recommend doing a muslin mockup first.

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

glad that you posted that link again...hope you're here to stay.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

Faustian - normally I would, but the staples are more easily removable than stitches. hence, adjustment is easy.

7. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i suppose you could baste with some double-stick tape...

8. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Kabbaz,

Thank you for posting the links to your articles. It is always a pleasure to read or hear from a craftsperson passionate about his or her work.

I found surprising that you're a believer of the machine-sewn buttonhole. I actually had thought that, in the face of the earth, only my shirtmaker and myself supported the idea.
    Most bespoke enthusiasts and makers are strongly opinionated against the machine-sewn buttonhole on a bespoke garment in the true sense of the word. And I agree with them. That is, if the buttonhole is made using the conventional machine-assisted (or even mass production) methods and equipment used on 99.999% of the garments made today. But in my opinion no hand-sewn buttonhole can hold a candle to the best machine-sewn, custom-made examples. The latter are not easy to make and quite rare, however. They require very special machines from an era bygone, probably fine-tuned and modified by the craftsperson over the years until that perfect signature is obtained, and skilled hands and feet. I am sure that your shirts belong to this rare breed, and hope to see a sample of your work some day.

That being said, to all its own: some people like machine-sewn, some like hand-sewn, and that is perfectly fine. Otherwise, one of our favorite art forms would be quite monotonous, don't you think?

Best regards.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Dear MCA, Yup, what you say is true ... and quite well put. I'm 54. I feel quite young next to my buttonhole machine which is easily 85. Back in the 1970's, the last living Singer mechanic who worked on the design of the machine trained me to take care of it. Mr. Oppenheim was 95 at the time and warned me, "Kabbaz - you'd damn well better sit down with me here - now - before I die - and learn this stuff because after I'm gone there ain't nobody else." And you're doubly correct - there are a few craftsman's innovations - and NOBODY touches her but me. [​IMG]

10. Alias

Alias Senior member

I wish we had a good shirtmaker here in Seoul. [​IMG]

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

There is a certain unique look to the hand-sewn button-holes on Kiton shirts that give them a attractive character.

I was just comparing two of my Kiton shirts--one with hand-made button-holes and one with machine made. The differences are most subtle.

12. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

And the look of the stitching on hand-attached sleeves is also attractive. I wonder if anybody has done something of a controlled experiment on handsewing on shirts. Alex says that handsewing on a shirt leads to weak seams and an inability to attach the sleeve consistently due to an absence of three hands. This makes sense to me. Proponents of handsewing argue that hand-attached sleeves and shoulder yokes and collars mold to the shape of your body and don't bind like machine-sewn seams do. Sounds a little bit hand-wavy to me, but I like the way that my Borrelli shirts look and fit. So what I would like to see is this: two shirts cut from the same pattern in identical fabric and with identical styling options. Both would be made by the same person; but one would have the hand-attached collar, sleeves, and yoke while the other would have everything done by a (Kabbaz-quality) sewing machine. Then we could really do an evaluation of the relative merits of each school of thought.

13. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Fairly recently I saw a custom shirt that was 100% sewn by hand. When I say 100% sewn by hand, I mean that literally every single stitch, from both rows of stitching on each side seam, to the bottom hem, to the buttonholes, to the collar topstitching was sewn by a man with a needle and thread. The stitching was so fine and so "regular" that I had to look twice before I realized that it was in fact done by hand. In no part of the operation was a sewing machine involved. It also took 3 days to sew this shirt, which is cost-prohibitive both for the maker and most potential clients, so he also offers less expensive custom shirts which he uses sewing machines to assemble. This shirt cost quite a bit more than Kiton shirts cost. The work was beautiful. The quality of the hand-stitching made Kiton, Borrelli et al look positively crude. The button-down collar had a roll that no Brooks Brothers button-down collar has probably ever had. I was able to appreciate this shirt from an artisanal standpoint. Nonetheless with the exception of button attachment(issue of accuracy) and the possible exception of buttonholes I prefer machine stitches. [​IMG] If the maker has a very good buttonhole machine then I see no problem with machine-sewn buttonholes. Some of the older Troy Shirt Makers Guild shirts have beautiful (machine-made) buttonholes.

14. Sartorial Quest

Sartorial Quest New Member

Mr. Kabbaz:
    Your articles are very interesting. Do you have others? I am new here and particularly interested in custom shirts.

15. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright, I have to know. Who is the artisan?