• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K need to know what ppl think about these shoes

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black ferragamo loafers And Ferragamo oxfords With the loafers I'm just not sure abotu how i feel about the metal logo... I love the profile of the shoe though. The oxford are a great business shoe. But should I be looking at something else to wear wiht a stylish double vented black suit out on the town at night?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm....i dunno about the loafers. that hardware piece is a little strange....have you checked ebay for some ferragamos with the more traditional hardware? i bought a pair, great for clubs, days out in the city, etc.

the oxfords look pretty good. as long as shoes have a closed throat (balmoral style), they are more formal than the open (blucher) style, which is more casual and is usually not worn with high italian style or DB suits.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what do you mean by closed/open throat?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
O.K. Short lesson in shoe design: The lace-up shoe. The front part of the shoe  (covering the toes) is called the vamp. That can be plain or decorated in various ways. The side parts, containing the holes for the laces, are called the quarters. There are two ways of construction: either the quarters go underneath the vamp (am: Balmoral; eng: Oxford) i.e. "closed throat" Straight Tip Bal Oxford or the quarters go over the vamp (am: Blucher; eng: Derby) i.e. "open throat" Straight Tip Bal Oxford This example is a very plain style; here is another example in a highly decorated style: Wing Tip Bal Oxford Wing Tip Blucher Oxford Basically all lace-ups belong to one or the other group, with the Balmoral considered to be the more formal (but for men with a high instep a Blucher might be a better choice). I hope the link works, otherwise go to: www.aldenshop.com

Joe G

Reaction score
Black ferragamo loafers And Ferragamo oxfords With the loafers I'm just not sure abotu how i feel about the metal logo... I love the profile of the shoe though. The oxford are a great business shoe. But should I be looking at something else to wear wiht a stylish double vented black suit out on the town at night?
I have Ferragamo loafers with precisely that profile, but with the traditional double-omega bit. Wonderful shoes, although I don't like the idea of a name staring up at me like that. As for the oxfords, I tried to order a pair for myself. However, they only have size 7's left. Wonderful. THAT'S why they're so cheap. I last wore that size at like 11 or 12. At least some grammar schooler is going to get a helluva deal on great shoes that he'll be able to wear for all of six months before his feet grow out of them.... As an aside, if any of you can fit into the following shoes (http://www.bluefly.com/product/brand...ategory&from=#) BUY THEM. They are truly superior shoes. They are my "middle" monkstraps (the others are suede Cole Haans with Vibram soles, and twin small-buckle pebble-grain John Lobbs) but I wear them even more often than the Lobbs. Amazingly comfortable, and pair with a midnite blue suit and WATCH the chicks flock to you. Peace, JG

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lame heh. last nigth they had a size in my pair.. shoulda bought them right then =/

Thanks for info bengal. I have one more question. Is there any rule about when you should be wearing a square toe oxford (i'm looking at ferragamos again) and a round toe or is purely a personal preference?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose it depends very much what you want your shoes to be.

A good pair of shoes can last for many years. It depends how often you wear them; even the best shoes worn day-in, day-out, every day will be ready for the bin in three or four month time. But if you have a reasonable quantity of shoes, or you wear sneakers most of the time and "real shoes" only every now and then, shoes can last for ten, twenty or more years. Add to this, your feet, unlike your waist, will change very little in the course of your life. The same shoes that fit you today will fit you in twenty years time; if the pants will still fit, has to be seen.

So you can either buy high-fashion shoes willing to ditch them in a couple of years time when they are dated or you go for classics that will never date. I suppose that is the more boring route. The choice is yours. But if want to go classic, then you should stay away from all extremes of style. Square toes are a bit last season already. Have you seen the latest Saint Laurent or Miu Miu numbers? Those pointed toes qualify almost for offensive weapon status and in the hollow space you could carry a crack heads weekly supply.

I believe the smartest shoes have a chisel toe; it's not round, not pointed and not square but a combination of all three. But it is very much a question of personal preference. One word of warning, if you have a bit of a Charlie Chaplin walk and turn your feet outward (like I do), stay clear of square toed shoes; makes one look like Donald Duck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads