• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Justin Timberlake in Esquire

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
How do we feel about his look on the cover; charcoal grey flannel-looking odd coat, mid-grey flannel-looking trousers, and a cream OCBD? A charcoal grey flannel odd coat for the winter has never occured to me, but I must admit that it looks quite sharp and modern - more so than would a navy blazer, the standard odd coat with that look.

No need to rip the stupid pose (which is granted, but not the point).

Last edited:

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
FWIW, the coat and trousers are from Dolce & Gabbana, which surprises me because both look quite good and I'm not used to paying that company much particular mind.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have SF groupthink to thank for that. Is Dolce overpriced as hell? Yes. Do they send a large amount of absolutely ungodly crap down the runway? Sure do. But they make plenty of nice clothes every year for people who can either afford them or find them on sale.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

You have SF groupthink to thank for that. Is Dolce overpriced as hell? Yes. Do they send a large amount of absolutely ungodly crap down the runway? Sure do. But they make plenty of nice clothes every year for people who can either afford them or find them on sale.

This. I have a tweed Dolce and Gabbana SC that I have had for years. It's fully canvassed and is one of the nicest pieces I own. If you know quality it doesn't matter what the tag says.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Fully canvassed, huh? Would never have guessed they sell fully canvassed coats.

But what about the combo at issue - charcoal grey flannel sport coat, mid-grey (lookls like herringbone) slacks?

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite casual jacket is Dolce & Gobanna as well. Their gaudy **** overshadows their properly designed stuff.

I haven't seen the cover but mixing textures is a fairly classic technique. Keep the shades the same and mix fresco with tweed with satins with Oxford Cloth.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are too long, but I actually like the shape, shoulders, and lapels of the jacket.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A man with a good point.

"Don't let the actions of a few determine the way you feel about an entire group".

10 - 30% of absolute bullcrap items by Dolce should not be used as cannon fodder to call the whole label through and through crap. I agree with general consensus that quality wise they do not hold up to the highest Napoli standards people crave, but then they are nowhere near as expensive (Dolce as a label definitely go for more cutting edge / fashion than an exclusive tailored menswear brand. Their priorities are not to compete with Loro Piana, Zegna or Kiton as makers of fine cloth, nor is it their priority to compete with Brioni or Attolini in constructing the finest suits with all the bells and whistles one needs to display their wealth in refulgent glory). People should drop their brandaphobia. I hate brand whores and posers with a zealous passion, but that does not mean I should hate the brands. I would hazard a guess most here would occasionally flutter on a fashion label item just to mix up the wardrobe a bit ;)

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like he's wearing two mismatched suit parts, the jacket and trousers.....Not good.

Last edited:

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like he's wearing two mismatched suit parts, the jacket and trousers.....Not good.

Oh come on, their colour difference is large enough to justify it. That said, his sleeves are much too long which makes his arms look grotesquely long.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the cut and shape of the jacket, but agree with Mike DT that it looks a little like an orphan. The charcoal flannel seems likes it wants to be a suit. The solid gray on gray combo is kinda boring to me. Full suit would be more dashing.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People should drop their brandaphobia. I hate brand whores and posers with a zealous passion, but that does not mean I should hate the brands.

You aren't going far enough. Irrational hatred of a brand ("zomg Dolce, it's got to suck") is every bit as stupid as irrational devotion to a brand ("I'll buy anything with an LV on it") -- every single bit as stupid, yet it's on display here on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads