Justin Timberlake in Esquire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Oct 7, 2011.

1. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

How do we feel about his look on the cover; charcoal grey flannel-looking odd coat, mid-grey flannel-looking trousers, and a cream OCBD? A charcoal grey flannel odd coat for the winter has never occured to me, but I must admit that it looks quite sharp and modern - more so than would a navy blazer, the standard odd coat with that look.

No need to rip the stupid pose (which is granted, but not the point).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

FWIW, the coat and trousers are from Dolce & Gabbana, which surprises me because both look quite good and I'm not used to paying that company much particular mind.

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

You have SF groupthink to thank for that. Is Dolce overpriced as hell? Yes. Do they send a large amount of absolutely ungodly crap down the runway? Sure do. But they make plenty of nice clothes every year for people who can either afford them or find them on sale.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

This. I have a tweed Dolce and Gabbana SC that I have had for years. It's fully canvassed and is one of the nicest pieces I own. If you know quality it doesn't matter what the tag says.

5. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Fully canvassed, huh? Would never have guessed they sell fully canvassed coats.

But what about the combo at issue - charcoal grey flannel sport coat, mid-grey (lookls like herringbone) slacks?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

My favourite casual jacket is Dolce & Gobanna as well. Their gaudy shit overshadows their properly designed stuff.

I haven't seen the cover but mixing textures is a fairly classic technique. Keep the shades the same and mix fresco with tweed with satins with Oxford Cloth.

7. atila

atila Senior member

Posting pictures would be helpful.

8. Hedges

Hedges Well-Known Member

+1 Any pics?

9. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

Alright, you lazy bones.
    [​IMG]

10. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

The sleeves are too long, but I actually like the shape, shoulders, and lapels of the jacket.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

A man with a good point.

"Don't let the actions of a few determine the way you feel about an entire group".

10 - 30% of absolute bullcrap items by Dolce should not be used as cannon fodder to call the whole label through and through crap. I agree with general consensus that quality wise they do not hold up to the highest Napoli standards people crave, but then they are nowhere near as expensive (Dolce as a label definitely go for more cutting edge / fashion than an exclusive tailored menswear brand. Their priorities are not to compete with Loro Piana, Zegna or Kiton as makers of fine cloth, nor is it their priority to compete with Brioni or Attolini in constructing the finest suits with all the bells and whistles one needs to display their wealth in refulgent glory). People should drop their brandaphobia. I hate brand whores and posers with a zealous passion, but that does not mean I should hate the brands. I would hazard a guess most here would occasionally flutter on a fashion label item just to mix up the wardrobe a bit ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Looks like he's wearing two mismatched suit parts, the jacket and trousers.....Not good.

13. Kas

Kas Senior member

Oh come on, their colour difference is large enough to justify it. That said, his sleeves are much too long which makes his arms look grotesquely long.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the cut and shape of the jacket, but agree with Mike DT that it looks a little like an orphan. The charcoal flannel seems likes it wants to be a suit. The solid gray on gray combo is kinda boring to me. Full suit would be more dashing.

15. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

You aren't going far enough. Irrational hatred of a brand ("zomg Dolce, it's got to suck") is every bit as stupid as irrational devotion to a brand ("I'll buy anything with an LV on it") -- every single bit as stupid, yet it's on display here on a daily basis.