• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just washed my 7-month old RRDS: (long)

cielo

Reaction score
I had a full day of washing: 7 loads of laundry, my poor car (1st personal wash this year) and my 219.5 day old RRDS. For the most part, I wore these everyday since November, save semi-/formalwear days and a few weeks while they were on the DL (tailoring).

Re. Tailoring: These were cut a few days after wearing because I did not want to cuff them the entire 7 months. I let the denim bunch up a little before the tailor took off ~1". And he did chainstitch the mofos.
smile.gif
The crotch sprouted a hole on each leg around six months. I had them repaired at 182 days and then began my Veggies (which, I foresee, won't get the same attention as the RRDS).

Anyways...

We all know what they look like new, but here's a pic for fun:

IMG_6878Custom.jpg
IMG_6874Custom.jpg

Here are what they looked like on me, before wash:

IMG_9123Custom.jpg
IMG_9129Custom.jpg

Laid flat in natural sunlight, before wash:

IMG_9131Custom.jpg
IMG_9143Custom.jpg

I used three squirts of Dr. Bronner's (Tea Tree) and warm-hot water. Once diluted, I lightly hand washed with the jeans right-side-out. I then let them soak inside-out for just over an hour.

IMG_9179Small.jpg

I did not soak when new, so I expected shrinkage. They did. Doh! I didn't take "before" measurements, but from my estimation, they shrunk 1.5" and 2" in the waist and inseam, respectively. The waist shrinkage is welcome as they were a little loose. I pulled on each of the legs for a few minutes until I got the desired inseam.

Drying:

IMG_9185Custom.jpg

It was too dark to take outdoor pictures, so I just snapped a few in my living room. I hope to have proper, daylight, pictures by next weekend. Post wash/dry:

IMG_9187Custom.jpg
IMG_9213Custom.jpg

And for [rough] comparison:

IMG_9131Custom.jpg
IMG_9187Custom.jpg

IMG_9143Custom.jpg
IMG_9213Custom.jpg

I'm very happy with the results. I am expecting some SS Dry (non-selv); depending on the fit, they will become my main project. I'll still wear the RRDS and Veggies, so the Svens will take some time. I really like the RR cut and plan on trying another size down in RRDS and perhaps RRDG, even though I much prefer DS' color. Thanks for reading!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Those look great, I love the lap fading on those, much more pronounced than on some people's...

Reaction score
Agreed. Superlative lap fade. What sort of activities do you do in your jeans----anything unusual? Do you work out of doors? Did your jeans have a funk before the wash?

Good job. 9 out of 10 rivets.

dhamm

Reaction score
They look great. So did the length stretch back to what it was before washing?

Felix

Reaction score
wow those look great...i like them better unwashed!
smile.gif

cielo

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments, everyone!

I wore these at least 16 hours a day. I work in an office/lab environment, so they don't get too much wear there, aside from my walking/stairstepping. I also walk a lot in Berkeley/Oakland and SF. I'll go clubbing, play golf, practice my [basketball] shot, or ride the bike, but nothing really out-of-ordinary.

Luckily, I don't sweat that much. Never did my jeans smell, let alone wreak. Some drinks spilled on them and I quickly blotted, but the jeans weren't actually that dirty. I aired them in the sun twice, and on average, hung them once a week indoors, overnight.

I surely could've gone longer, but I was anxious. These were my first dry jeans. I'm looking forward to see how they continue to wear...

beefcake

Reaction score
amazing, i really like how they look pre-wash.
how 'bout some in-the-sun post-wash?
inlove.gif

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Wow. Lookin really good. Those fishnets rock.

Kewan

Reaction score
Amazing. I'll be absolutely thrilled if my RRDS turn out anything like that.

Sway23

Reaction score
Those look great! Definitely one of the nicest pair of worn RRDS's that I've seen.

Although, does the color actually look like the color in the last pic (the indoor pic)? Just from looking at the photo, it appears that the white balance is pretty off in the photo... would be cool to see a pic of them under natural light.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what dry denim's all about man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads