• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just sharing what I learn on mistake made by 1st timer

creat3cp

Reaction score
I have written an article to help 1st timer to avoid making the mistake when coming to wearing cufflinks....a part of it I would like to share here...

10 Commonly Made Mistakes By First Time Cufflinks Wearer [ Part 1/2 ]

fflinks for formal function, you would be seen as a person who does not respect the host of the event. You would be better to get a pair of 18K gold cufflinks or a simple silver cufflinks to match.

Mistake #2 : Putting on cufflinks before wearing your cuff shirts. Would you do that? Come on, be honest. Would you do this? Never put on your cufflinks onto your cuff shirt before wearing your shirt. The reason is you can never wear your shirt's sleeve. Don't try to wiggle through the sleevess. You would need to ripping off your cufflinks. Just don't try it. Period.

Mistake #3 : Wearing unmatch themed cufflinks for different function. If you are going to for a wedding dinner, don't ever try to show up with a pair of clown surface or animal cufflinks. You would give others the impression that you're going to watch the circus show. Wear related theme cufflinks whenever possible. A plain stainless steel or wedding bells cufflinks would be ideal.

Mistake #4 : Not storing your cufflinks in proper casing. As you know or might know, cufflinks are rather small item accessories. If you were to place them in drawers or under the bed or cupboard, chances are you are not going to see them again. You might want to check out with the ladies why they kept their ear rings and accessories in different boxes.

...I will keep you posted.. not sure if forum members would like me to post here...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The beginning of Mistake #1 is cut off. But from what I can see, it seems like a silly rule.

2. I've done it. I'm not proud of it, but I've had days where for some reason I had difficulty putting the links in after the shirt was on. Too early in the morning, all thumbs, whatever. If it works, it works. If it doesn't it doesn't.

3. Silly. You should leave your clown or animal cufflinks for your dressy circus or zoo outings? Wedding bell cufflinks? Please God, tell me that's tongue in cheek.

4. Store your stuff where you can find it. No brainer.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
1. The beginning of Mistake #1 is cut off. But from what I can see, it seems like a silly rule.

2. I've done it. I'm not proud of it, but I've had days where for some reason I had difficulty putting the links in after the shirt was on. Too early in the morning, all thumbs, whatever. If it works, it works. If it doesn't it doesn't.

3. Silly. You should leave your clown or animal cufflinks for your dressy circus or zoo outings? Wedding bell cufflinks? Please God, tell me that's tongue in cheek.

4. Store your stuff where you can find it. No brainer.

Agreed. I don't feel the need to have "rules" for wearing cufflinks.

pkincy

Reaction score
Actually I found the advice to be spot on. I may have already known it but obviously some people don't if they try and slip on an already cuffed shirt or throw cufflinks in a random drawer hoping to find them later.

Perry

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
#5 Don't walk on broken glass with bare feet while wearing cufflinks.
#6 Don't drink Drano with cufflinks on.
#7 If your cufflinks have razor sharp edges, resist the temptation to use your sleeve to wipe the sweat from your forehead on hot days.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
#7 If your cufflinks have razor sharp edges, resist the temptation to use your sleeve to wipe the sweat from your forehead on hot days.

Reminds me of the old chestnut that sleeve buttons were put there to keep troops from wiping their noses on their sleeves. Your idea seems much more effective.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Reminds me of the old chestnut that sleeve buttons were put there to keep troops from wiping their noses on their sleeves. Your idea seems much more effective.
LOL, I thought about using that one but decided to go for something a bit less icky.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL!

To the OP, if these are truly your
own originally-developed rules,then I apologize for being so casually dismissive. If they're meant as helpful hints, then I should have taken them as such, regardless of their value to me.

I would suggest, however that the guideline regarding cufflink themes/motifs, at least, is not a useful one. I'll grant that it would not be in the best taste to wear erotic-themed cufflinks for an audience with the Pope, for example, but in real life, under most circumstances, the motif matters not at all.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Luckily, I've always taken my cufflinks off before drinking Drano. Who knows what sort of awful thing may have happened had I not done so.

John

new obsession

Reaction score
Putting on cufflinks before wearing your cuff shirts. Would you do that? Come on, be honest. Would you do this? Never put on your cufflinks onto your cuff shirt before wearing your shirt. The reason is you can never wear your shirt's sleeve. Don't try to wiggle through the sleevess. You would need to ripping off your cufflinks. Just don't try it. Period.
I have had occaision to do this when I have been wearing silk knots. I have an unbelieveably hard time getting the knots in unless I can use both hands, and unless my wire is around, I often have to resort to putting the knots in first and then putting the shirt on.

Anyone else have this issue?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I have had occaision to do this when I have been wearing silk knots. I have an unbelieveably hard time getting the knots in unless I can use both hands, and unless my wire is around, I often have to resort to putting the knots in first and then putting the shirt on.

Anyone else have this issue?

Exactly! I knew that in the past, I'd had trouble getting links in while my shirt was on, but I couldn't remember why - it's because of those damned silk knots I used to wear! I feel so much better now that you're reminded me of that - I was starting to wonder if I just used to be a klutz.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly think we need any rules for cuff links let alone these.

What happened to dear old common sense?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads