• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just purchased these Testonis

csgrad

Reaction score
Those are black label level testonis. I own 3 pairs of Amadeo Testonis ( the highest line) and they are all superlative. Leather, construction, styling, everything is top notch. The black label is a level below Amadeo. They are only bolonga construction. Also the soles aren't as thick as the Amadeos. The leather quality is prob similar, but I noticed that there's less embroidery detailing in black label shoes. Overall, a very good AND comfortable shoe you got there, good buy.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of comments on these shoes. To refer to Bologna construction as "only" Bologna is, in my opinion, to undervalue it. I understand that Lattanzi makes some shoes by this method, and I expect, but don't know for certain, that some Scafora shoes are also made this way. It has certain advantages over welting (as I assume the Amadeo line are, if I'm reading between csgrad's lines correctly) and produces a trimmer and lighter shoe. The lighter sole is, I think, not the result of chintzing with the leather, but rather in line with the lighter, more Italian, character of the Bologna-constructed shoe. To my mind, this is what is really attractive about Italian shoes. If I wanted welted shoes, I'd probably stick with the British cordwainers (unless, perhaps, I wanted Norwegian-style welted shoes, for which I might turn to Mantellassi). But for light, lively, trim, and sleek, it's hard to beat Italian. When I special-ordered a pair of Marteganis a while ago from Ron Rider, I specifically asked for Blake, rather than Blake-Rapid construction to keep the weight down and the soles trimmed closer to the uppers. The result was a pair of shoes that weigh several ounces less than my British shoes and are very trim and sleek.

Those Testonis at STP look like really beautiful shoes, and to get them for $236.50 shipped is a really tremendous deal. They are $700+ retail shoes, and my prediction is that you'll love them.
smile.gif

csgrad

Reaction score
Haha, I'm just using the term "just bologna" because the amadeo testonis use either, norweigen, rapid, or telouise for their construction method, and I think they also wrap the uppers together just like bologna, kind of like a hybrid method.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads