• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Purchased AE Boots my Thoughts...

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After hearing such great reviews about Allen Edmonds on here and from other prestigious shoe-places in my neighborhood I finally decided to purchase a pair myself. I purchased the shoes and returned home to find they were not repacked nicely nor did they include a shoe-horn. I am a little shocked no shoe horn was included especially when one purchases a pair of shoes for over $250.

Zackb911

Reaction score
So umm... What are your thoughts on the boots?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you like the boots?

A shoe horn wouldn't make or break any shoe for me - I have about 30 of them in my top drawer.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots look great, I haven't worn them yet other than in the store so I am not sure. But they are made in USA and thats a plus. I just thought it would be nice to include a shoe horn possibly a 2nd pair of laces.

They were on sale so that was a plus. I decided to purchase them over every other "chukkah" style shoe mainly b/c the sole and the feedback I have received on here and from other knowledgeable shoe salesman. I was comparing them to Barney New York, John Varvatos and Prada. JV and Prada look great but wont have much longevity. Hopefully these will las which could make them worthwhile b/c the other chukkkah style shoes will not.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And how do you know those other brands won't last long? B/c that's what a bunch of fanboys at aaac said?

250 for those is a pretty bad deal imo. Not horrible but you'll probably be lukewarm about those shoes in a couple months.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
And how do you know those other brands won't last long? B/c that's what a bunch of fanboys at aaac said? 250 for those is a pretty bad deal imo. Not horrible but you'll probably be lukewarm about those shoes in a couple months.
John varvatos is not great quality IMHO, I've experienced that first hand. Prada is nice but will they last? Look the bottom line is I can keep looking for a cheaper price like $50 less at most but quality costs money. Plus where else can you get them less expensive? I've look online.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Weybridges for $250 from Nordstrom back when I've just discovered this site. To this day I'm extremely happy with them and I wear them often. Don't be so negative, those are nice chukkas.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does this sound??? self-molding cork midsole for a custom feel. Also I would like y'all opinons? Which look sharper? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3094153?...6#reviewAnchor Too be negative about the price is kind of silly IMHO. Their regular price is $325-345. I got them about 30-40% off.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
How does this sound???

self-molding cork midsole for a custom feel.

Also I would like y'all opinons? Which look sharper?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3094153?...6#reviewAnchor

Too be negative about the price is kind of silly IMHO. Their regular price is $325-345. I got them about 30-40% off.

IMHO, gauging whether you paid a good price or not by percent off retail is silly. You paid $250...ok price I guess. But you definitely could have done better...I got a brand new pair of C&J Brecons for that much a couple yrs ago. I see AE's sell for under $200 new all the time. But on the flip side, if you like your purchase and you are fine with the price you paid, that's really all that matters.

And BTW, most ppl here will scoff when you pay anything more than 20% of retail!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
IMHO, gauging whether you paid a good price or not by percent off retail is silly. You paid $250...ok price I guess. But you definitely could have done better...I got a brand new pair of C&J Brecons for that much a couple yrs ago. I see AE's sell for under $200 new all the time. But on the flip side, if you like your purchase and you are fine with the price you paid, that's really all that matters.

And BTW, most ppl here will scoff when you pay anything more than 20% of retail!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Good point. The thing is you can always try to find a better deal, but there wasn't one presented to me at the time and I want the boots now. This was the best deal available compared to Nordstrom and other stores. Any suggestions for pre-wear? Do I need to treat them or just go ahead and wear?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for pretreating, is this necessary?

ktrp

Reaction score
Iroh has an extra shoe-horn if you need one.

GBer

Reaction score
Those are really
ffffuuuu.gif

Maybe works for the geriatric set.

Why not ask them to throw in some wax, cream, brush, socks, .... too?

If you want it, pay for it.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
And how do you know those other brands won't last long? B/c that's what a bunch of fanboys at aaac said?

250 for those is a pretty bad deal imo. Not horrible but you'll probably be lukewarm about those shoes in a couple months.

Originally Posted by dieselman89
John varvatos is not great quality IMHO, I've experienced that first hand. Prada is nice but will they last? Look the bottom line is I can keep looking for a cheaper price like $50 less at most but quality costs money. Plus where else can you get them less expensive? I've look online.

I have a pair of hiking-style Prada boots from 11 years ago.

It is still going strong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads