• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just moved to new york. what now?

cl smooth

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i just got a job here in the city about a month ago, but as someone from the west coast, i don't really have that many friends here and i'm kind of by myself a lot of the free time i have. I'd like to see the city and get out, but i'm not really sure where to start.

do you guys have any suggestions, tips, or things to do by yourself in the city?

thanks.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Play any sports? Have any hobbies? Any political or cultural interests?

There are lost of teams, clubs, groups, for ex via meetup.com.

Lots of cultural institutions (museums, theaters) have special nights for young singles.

OR

You can just go out & get drunk and laid like most people.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry dude but you're in the wrong city to find **** to do. loneliness and bachlerhood will define your existence forever now
frown.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cl smooth
hey guys,

so i just got a job here in the city about a month ago, but as someone from the west coast, i don't really have that many friends here and i'm kind of by myself a lot of the free time i have. I'd like to see the city and get out, but i'm not really sure where to start.

do you guys have any suggestions, tips, or things to do by yourself in the city?

thanks.

1 recommendation:

Cafe Wha? in the village on Sat or Sun. night. GREAT house band.

cl smooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
1 recommendation:

Cafe Wha? in the village on Sat or Sun. night. GREAT house band.

thanks. but yeah, as far as everything else goes, i guess it's just kinda weird--i've never not had friends in places i lived so it's been strange doing EVERYTHING by myself.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cl smooth
thanks. but yeah, as far as everything else goes, i guess it's just kinda weird--i've never not had friends in places i lived so it's been strange doing EVERYTHING by myself.

It's takes time to rebuild a new friend base. It will happen, but for now you just need to be patient and be willing to go out by yourself.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
It's takes time to rebuild a new friend base. It will happen, but for now you just need to be patient and be willing to go out by yourself.

Ask your co-workers pr join them after work

Benzito

Reaction score
^^^ And until then, Scores is your best friend.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doing stuff by yourself rules.

Just be talkative with people wherever you go. If you are cool, funny, and not too desperate for friends they will fall into your lap. Try dating. It's easy to get in with a girl's friends and it is easier to meet new girls than to meet new guys directly usually.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
I've done this kind of a move where I didn't know anybody and often didn't speak the language 4 times in my life. Just get out of the house, and stay out. morning to night. you'll meet someone in no time.

+1. When you are by yourself you are kind of forced to make new friends and be more social than you normally are in your comfort zone.

One really easy option: Go to the couchsurfing site for your city and message some people and go to a few meetups. This is probably the "easiest" way to meet new friends in a new place.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
join New York Road Runners (the organization that runs the NYC marathon). They have races every weekend and it gives you something to do (run 4mile-10k races) that are doable and not too hard.

you can see hot in shape women that give you a reason to talk to them (because you're in the same race) - its a lot less awkward than doing it in a gym/club.

plus when you wear the tshirts from the races other NYRR people will recognize then you start up a conversation.

I was in the Shake Shack the other day with my wife and had on an old NYRR race shirt and these two hot british ex pats started up a conversation with me while I stood in line (and my wife was looking for a table). Turns out they just joined NYRR and were going to run the next race. I was thinking if I was single it would be so easy to get a number/date.

Even my softball/pick up soccer games were guys I met there.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Join NY Cares. It's a group that allows busy people to volunteer on an ad hoc basis - you don't have to commit to once a week for 6 months or anything.

Essentially, they just screen you once and then you can sign up for the following week.

It's a great way to meet people and you get to help some needy folk in the process. What could be better?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. Move to NYC
2. ????
3. Profit.

questions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads