• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just moved to London

sloaney

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a young chap (mid twenties) who recently relocated to London from New York for career reasons. I must say that I am definitely enjoying the more relaxed -- and in my opinion, healthier -- pace of life here. The people at the office (I work for an investment bank) have also been described as more "humane"!

It goes without saying that I must make sure that my sartorial and grooming needs are well attended to in London. On this note, can someone suggest an exceedingly good hair stylist or barber who can give me a smart haircut? I'm willing to pay for the privilege.

My latest purchase is a Barbour quilted jacket in navy, very stylish, very U, for a bargain price of 69 pounds! I'm looking to equip myself with a well-cut 3/4 length rain coat / mac coat -- as well as several pairs of well-made shoes -- as well so recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Till then.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome, sloaney! It's a pleasure to have another Londonite on the board. Believe me, those of us an ocean away from the sartorial mecca that is Savile Row envy your current position.

Bouji

Reaction score
Geo F. Trumper in Mayfair for the barber.

What part of London you in?

Originally Posted by sloaney
Hello everyone,

I am a young chap (mid twenties) who recently relocated to London from New York for career reasons. I must say that I am definitely enjoying the more relaxed -- and in my opinion, healthier -- pace of life here. The people at the office (I work for an investment bank) have also been described as more "humane"!

It goes without saying that I must make sure that my sartorial and grooming needs are well attended to in London. On this note, can someone suggest an exceedingly good hair stylist or barber who can give me a smart haircut? I'm willing to pay for the privilege.

My latest purchase is a Barbour quilted jacket in navy, very stylish, very U, for a bargain price of 69 pounds! I'm looking to equip myself with a well-cut 3/4 length rain coat / mac coat -- as well as several pairs of well-made shoes -- as well so recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Till then.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Geo F. Trumper in Mayfair for the barber. What part of London you in?
Yes, or Taylor's in Jermyn St.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Geo F. Trumper in Mayfair for the barber. What part of London you in?
Physically in Tower Bridge but mentally in Sloane Square. Thanks for the great responses. I happen to like the cut of the shirt collar and the suit a lot. Does Hackett offer MTM shirts and suits? Does the cut look contrived? Or maybe the model just happens to have a good build?
tailoring_img.jpg

BDCook

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Till then.

Might I ask how you went about transferring to London?

I am a first year analyst at a large i-bank, and would love to move abroad for several years.

I've been considering it for a while, but have no idea what resources to use and where to look.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDCook
Might I ask how you went about transferring to London?

I am a first year analyst at a large i-bank, and would love to move abroad for several years.

I've been considering it for a while, but have no idea what resources to use and where to look.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I think it is rather unusual for banks to move their first year analysts abroad. I was in a very unusual position because I did my first year in the back office, and then crashed into the front office for my second year, and was offered the option (i.e. not forced) to assume a position of greater responsibility in London barely half a year in my job. So in a sense, I didn't ask to be moved.

I know a friend who interned in New York and then stated her interest to work in London so she was placed in London when she started working full-time.

Depending on your relationship with your boss (or maybe you can enlist a mentor who works in London?) and your performance, you can subtly hint that for personal and professional reasons you would welcome an assignment in London should the opportunity turn up.

According to the friend, our bank is finding it difficult to hire good analysts. In her words, young graduates are not "hardworking" here in London. So if you are close to anyone in the London office, you might want to talk to them too. But keep in mind the interests and feelings of your U.S. based manager.

Trilby

Reaction score
For haircuts in the City, try Flittner's on Moorgate.

Hackett does MTM, but it's relatively expensive. There are lots of threads here with suggestions for other places to go.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trilby
For haircuts in the City, try Flittner's on Moorgate.

Hackett does MTM, but it's relatively expensive. There are lots of threads here with suggestions for other places to go.

For both shirts and suits? Can you suggest other merchants that have the same shirt collar style and suit cut?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
very stylish, very U,.....mentally in Sloane Square.....
What have we here? A Hooray Henry in the making?
Watch for the traps - from now on, it's pudding not deserts.
And most important, never touch a fish knive (they really are non-U).

Briguy

Reaction score
According to the friend, our bank is finding it difficult to hire good analysts. In her words, young graduates are not "hardworking" here in London.

Just curious, how many hours a week does it take to be "hardworking" at a US i-bank?

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Briguy
Just curious, how many hours a week does it take to be "hardworking" at a US i-bank?

15 hours on weekdays, possibly 7 hours each on saturdays and sundays. i have heard of an analyst who worked 5 days straight with only 6 hours of sleep in total. i don't think he was thanked by his manager. i've also heard someone of young who suffered a minor heart attack during a presentation because he had been drinking too much caffeine to keep himself awake working on material for several days prior to the presentation.

ok, now back to clothes - can someone answer the questions i posted?
smile.gif

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
That's not you, Lakshmi, is it?
I'm not Lakshmi and I'm somewhat annoyed by your inconsideration.

Ruprecht

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Till then.

My sincere advice is that you don't go about calling people "chap".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads